Hey BP community,
Looking for some advice from experienced landlords here. I have a tenant who hasn’t paid this month’s rent and is now past due for more than 3 weeks. My property manager has been trying to reach them through calls, emails, and texts — but there’s been zero response. Completely silent.
I’ve never dealt with a totally unresponsive tenant before. I’m trying to figure out the best next step:
1.File eviction right away?
2.Offer cash for keys?
3.Keep waiting a bit longer in case there’s a reason behind the silence?
For those of you who’ve been through this — how did you handle it? Any lessons learned or tips to avoid making the situation worse?
Appreciate any input or strategies you’ve used. This is part of the business, but definitely a stressful one.
Thanks in advance!
@Jay Ke not sure how good your PMC is:(
We send Eviction Notices ASAP for past due balances - you MUST "start" the eviction clock and minimize time lost!
We've pretty much automated our process and we do NOT care if the tenant calls or ignores us. Rent is due on the first, they have a 5-day grace period, then EVERY tenant with a past due balance gets an eviction notice.
AFTER we send the notices we try to contact the tenants to see what the issue is.
Also, as @Ricardo R. suggested, have your PMC do an Occupancy Check/Contact and take a subtle video of it to prove to you they did it and what happened.
Hey Jay,
That’s one of the most stressful spots a landlord can land in — radio silence from a tenant who’s weeks behind. You’ve got three decent options on the table, but which way to go depends on how “gone” you think they are.
Here’s how I’d look at it:
1. Check if they’ve actually abandoned the place.
If utilities are off, mail’s piling up, or neighbors haven’t seen them, document all of it. Sometimes tenants vanish without saying a word. In that case, you might need to start the abandonment process under your state’s rules instead of a full-blown eviction.
2. Don’t wait too long to file.
Once you hit that 2–3 week mark with no response (which is actually too long), it’s usually time to post a Pay or Quit notice (whatever your local law requires). You’re not being harsh — you’re just preserving your rights and the timeline. Courts move slow, and waiting “just in case” often burns another month of lost rent.
3. Cash-for-keys is only worth it if they’re still there and cooperative.
If they’ve ghosted you, it’s pointless. But if they resurface, offering a small cash incentive ($200–$500) to leave by a specific date can save you weeks of eviction delays. Just make sure you get it in writing with a move-out agreement and key return.
4. Keep documenting everything.
Save every text, call log, email, and voicemail. If it ends up in court, you’ll want to show you made multiple attempts to contact them.
If I were you, I’d post notice now — it starts the clock and you can always stop the process if they come back and pay. Silence this long usually means they’re not paying anytime soon.
And don’t beat yourself up — every landlord goes through this sooner or later. It’s just part of the business. The key is staying professional, documenting everything, and moving forward fast so it doesn’t drag out longer than it has to; Jay I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you.
Hey Jay,
That’s one of the most stressful spots a landlord can land in — radio silence from a tenant who’s weeks behind. You’ve got three decent options on the table, but which way to go depends on how “gone” you think they are.
Here’s how I’d look at it:
1. Check if they’ve actually abandoned the place.
If utilities are off, mail’s piling up, or neighbors haven’t seen them, document all of it. Sometimes tenants vanish without saying a word. In that case, you might need to start the abandonment process under your state’s rules instead of a full-blown eviction.
2. Don’t wait too long to file.
Once you hit that 2–3 week mark with no response (which is actually too long), it’s usually time to post a Pay or Quit notice (whatever your local law requires). You’re not being harsh — you’re just preserving your rights and the timeline. Courts move slow, and waiting “just in case” often burns another month of lost rent.
3. Cash-for-keys is only worth it if they’re still there and cooperative.
If they’ve ghosted you, it’s pointless. But if they resurface, offering a small cash incentive ($200–$500) to leave by a specific date can save you weeks of eviction delays. Just make sure you get it in writing with a move-out agreement and key return.
4. Keep documenting everything.
Save every text, call log, email, and voicemail. If it ends up in court, you’ll want to show you made multiple attempts to contact them.
If I were you, I’d post notice now — it starts the clock and you can always stop the process if they come back and pay. Silence this long usually means they’re not paying anytime soon.
And don’t beat yourself up — every landlord goes through this sooner or later. It’s just part of the business. The key is staying professional, documenting everything, and moving forward fast so it doesn’t drag out longer than it has to; Jay I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you.
Thanks for your respond, Ricardo. I trusted my current property manager a little too much and allowing them too much time to sort the situation out. I had contacted them couple times, and they said they are taking actions to reach out the tenant and didn't get any respond back from the tenant. They also mentioned that there are a decent amount of tenants that pay a week or two late every month, also said we typically won't set an eviction until the tenant is over two months late on rent
This really concern me and felt confused how that is acceptable to any landlords. I don't have confidence to continue working with this kind of property management. I am actively searching another property manager now. Are you servicing Memphis area? or can you refer me any better property manager that you might know in the area? Thanks a lot. And thank you taking the time to reply my post.
Hey Jay,
That’s one of the most stressful spots a landlord can land in — radio silence from a tenant who’s weeks behind. You’ve got three decent options on the table, but which way to go depends on how “gone” you think they are.
Here’s how I’d look at it:
1. Check if they’ve actually abandoned the place.
If utilities are off, mail’s piling up, or neighbors haven’t seen them, document all of it. Sometimes tenants vanish without saying a word. In that case, you might need to start the abandonment process under your state’s rules instead of a full-blown eviction.
2. Don’t wait too long to file.
Once you hit that 2–3 week mark with no response (which is actually too long), it’s usually time to post a Pay or Quit notice (whatever your local law requires). You’re not being harsh — you’re just preserving your rights and the timeline. Courts move slow, and waiting “just in case” often burns another month of lost rent.
3. Cash-for-keys is only worth it if they’re still there and cooperative.
If they’ve ghosted you, it’s pointless. But if they resurface, offering a small cash incentive ($200–$500) to leave by a specific date can save you weeks of eviction delays. Just make sure you get it in writing with a move-out agreement and key return.
4. Keep documenting everything.
Save every text, call log, email, and voicemail. If it ends up in court, you’ll want to show you made multiple attempts to contact them.
If I were you, I’d post notice now — it starts the clock and you can always stop the process if they come back and pay. Silence this long usually means they’re not paying anytime soon.
And don’t beat yourself up — every landlord goes through this sooner or later. It’s just part of the business. The key is staying professional, documenting everything, and moving forward fast so it doesn’t drag out longer than it has to; Jay I really hope this helps you a bit, I sent you DM on BP... it's one of the reasons I do this, I hope you can assist. Thank you.
Thanks for your respond, Ricardo. I trusted my current property manager a little too much and allowing them too much time to sort the situation out. I had contacted them couple times, and they said they are taking actions to reach out the tenant and didn't get any respond back from the tenant. They also mentioned that there are a decent amount of tenants that pay a week or two late every month, also said we typically won't set an eviction until the tenant is over two months late on rent
This really concern me and felt confused how that is acceptable to any landlords. I don't have confidence to continue working with this kind of property management. I am actively searching another property manager now. Are you servicing Memphis area? or can you refer me any better property manager that you might know in the area? Thanks a lot. And thank you taking the time to reply my post.
IMO, waiting two months is far too long. Tenant history matters. I have a few residents who pay late every month but never roll a balance and always communicate. They do what they say, and because they have a strong track record, I accept it. That’s different from being okay with it. If the resident is new, take their promise to pay but begin preparing eviction around the 14th, assuming they’ve communicated and given a date. If they’ve gone silent with no promise to pay, start the eviction process only after a notice has been posted on the door instructing them to contact the office immediately. If there’s still no communication, begin the process before the 10th.
Evictions in Memphis take a bit longer these days but are still relatively quick compared to other markets. The delay comes from recently elected court clerk who is this social justice and very liberal. I don't throw shade on either term, but it is frustrating to use your causes to slow down the judicial system.
From my experience a tenant that ghosts you probably won't end up paying, but they might if you begin the eviction process.
Since you have a property manager I would recommend telling them to begin the eviction process. In Texas that would mean I would post the 3-day notice to vacate on the door or use certified mail if I'm a bit further away. I don't know how they do it in Tennessee, but I would certainly get the process rolling as it can take some time. Does this tenant usually pay on time?
From my experience a tenant that ghosts you probably won't end up paying, but they might if you begin the eviction process.
Since you have a property manager I would recommend telling them to begin the eviction process. In Texas that would mean I would post the 3-day notice to vacate on the door or use certified mail if I'm a bit further away. I don't know how they do it in Tennessee, but I would certainly get the process rolling as it can take some time. Does this tenant usually pay on time?
This is one of those turn key properties, they claimed that tenant will be in place and sign 2 years lease once I closed this property. So I did purchased the property and closed it in the middle of september last month. Tenant did signed the 2 years leasing agreement with my current property manager, they paid the prorated rent for the September month which is half of the monthly rent. Right now, they still haven't pay rent for the October month.
From my experience a tenant that ghosts you probably won't end up paying, but they might if you begin the eviction process.
Since you have a property manager I would recommend telling them to begin the eviction process. In Texas that would mean I would post the 3-day notice to vacate on the door or use certified mail if I'm a bit further away. I don't know how they do it in Tennessee, but I would certainly get the process rolling as it can take some time. Does this tenant usually pay on time?
This is one of those turn key properties, they claimed that tenant will be in place and sign 2 years lease once I closed this property. So I did purchased the property and closed it in the middle of september last month. Tenant did signed the 2 years leasing agreement with my current property manager, they paid the prorated rent for the September month which is half of the monthly rent. Right now, they still haven't pay rent for the October month.
Never prorate the 1st month rent. Prorate the 2nd month or have the lease period run monthly from the day of move-in (which gets complicated with more than a couple of units so prorate the 2nd month’s rent).
Add to the PM mistakes, clearly they placed a poor tenant. Combined with them not abiding by their lease when it comes to evictions and their poor communication, you have a 3 strike PM.
Were you aware of the difficulties in the Memphis market when you invested. It has one of the highest crime rates in the nation. It also is on the top 10 or so on eviction rates. Combine these together and you need a strong PM (which your 3 strikes PM is not).
Direct the pm to immediately start the eviction process. Evictions take time. The tenant will have some time to address the issue before the eviction process runs its course. The longer you wait to start the eviction process, the more lost rent you can experience. If the tenant does rectify the situation, they will learn to prioritize paying their rent.
I never do cash for keys. I do not desire to reward tenants for poor behavior.
I explain the consequences of an eviction to the tenant. I explain they will have difficulty Renting a quality unit, that I will ding their credit, that I will attempt to garnish their future income to recover what they owe. They believe I will do what I state because I have always done what I told them I would do.
My market has a low vacancy rate. Poor tenants cannot obtain quality housing. My tenant requirements includes no evictions, ever. No excuses accepted.
So far with a combination of good screening and good luck, I have never needed to evict a tenant.
When the time comes to evict our first tenant, I will hire the best lawyer and let the expert take care of it. I will add the cost of the eviction to what the tenant owes, and if the cost is not recovered I will consider it a cost of doing business.
What I will not do is pay a bad tenant to leave so that another landlord gets stuck with having to deal with a bad tenant that I have rewarded for their poor behavior.
By the way both times I have been asked for cash to get rid of a tenant they indicated that another landlord had paid them to leave. In addition tenants talk. If you have a MF, do you think the tenants will not know that you paid a bad tenant to leave. Do you think they are so stupid that they do not realize that if they are a bad enough tenant that you are likely to offer them cash for keys. In effect you have taught the tenants to be poor tenants by rewarding them for being a bad tenant.
In addition if I paid a tenant to $crew me, it may cause me to lose sleep. Sleep is precious. I would rather not pay the tenant, pay a lawyer, lose some rent but not lose one wink of sleep allowing the bad tenant to get money from me.
Do not do cash for keys.
Good luck
@Jay Ke not sure how good your PMC is:(
We send Eviction Notices ASAP for past due balances - you MUST "start" the eviction clock and minimize time lost!
We've pretty much automated our process and we do NOT care if the tenant calls or ignores us. Rent is due on the first, they have a 5-day grace period, then EVERY tenant with a past due balance gets an eviction notice.
AFTER we send the notices we try to contact the tenants to see what the issue is.
Also, as @Ricardo R. suggested, have your PMC do an Occupancy Check/Contact and take a subtle video of it to prove to you they did it and what happened.
@Jay Ke not sure how good your PMC is:(
We send Eviction Notices ASAP for past due balances - you MUST "start" the eviction clock and minimize time lost!
We've pretty much automated our process and we do NOT care if the tenant calls or ignores us. Rent is due on the first, they have a 5-day grace period, then EVERY tenant with a past due balance gets an eviction notice.
AFTER we send the notices we try to contact the tenants to see what the issue is.
Also, as @Ricardo R. suggested, have your PMC do an Occupancy Check/Contact and take a subtle video of it to prove to you they did it and what happened.
I don't think they are good enough to handle situation like this. This property manager is already in place when I purchased the property. And they said they had been in the industry for many years and managed more than 2000 units. The rent is due the first day of the every month, and all I received so far are their 2 system automated replied email of informing me that rent is past due and they are taking actions. Not even try to reach out to me to provide me any info/updates. I reached them out for couple times and they said they are trying their best to contact the tenant but end up getting nothing back from the tenant. I'm losing patient and trust with my current property manager. I felt stuck and blindsided in this situation.
If you are waiting 21 days to even hear back from your tenant, who is in control? Take your control back and do the following:
What does your lease state in terms of rent due date? Ours is rent due on the 1st, late if not received by the 5th, and we post notice on the 10th. Period. The tenant is charged for our posting legal notice, as per lease.
While posting notice (or before) we can check the unit to see if it's still occupied.
Unless the tenant has made written arrangements with you regarding payment, ALWAYS stick to your policy, and make sure your PM follows your directions, per your lease.
If you are waiting 21 days to even hear back from your tenant, who is in control? Take your control back and do the following:
What does your lease state in terms of rent due date? Ours is rent due on the 1st, late if not received by the 5th, and we post notice on the 10th. Period. The tenant is charged for our posting legal notice, as per lease.
While posting notice (or before) we can check the unit to see if it's still occupied.
Unless the tenant has made written arrangements with you regarding payment, ALWAYS stick to your policy, and make sure your PM follows your directions, per your lease.
This is what their leasing agreement looks like, please below:
RENT IS DUE ON THE 1st OF THE MONTH.
RENT IS TO BE PAID WITH EPAYMENT, BANK AUTODRAFT or RENT MONEY ONLY
(NO MONEY ORDERS, CASHIERS CHECKS OR PERSONAL CHECKS)
IF THE FULL RENT IS NOT PAID ON THE 5th, IT’S LATE.
ON THE 5th (5 DAYS PAST DUE), A LATE FEE OF 10% WILL BE APPLIED TO THE TOTAL RENTAL
AMOUNT.
ON THE 10th OF THE MONTH (10 DAYS PAST DUE), IF THE TOTAL RENT PLUS LATE FEE IS STILL
NOT RECEIVED; WE WILL FILE TO EVICT YOU, AND SUE ALL PERSONS ON THE LEASE FOR
THE TOTAL RENTAL AMOUNT DUE FOR THE REST OF THE LEASE.
AN EVICTION WILL STAY ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT FOR SEVEN YEARS.
They didn't inform me of doing any of the eviction action. I'm confused and frustrated.
You need a new PM. Their lease says they will file eviction in 10 days and yet they tell you they wait 2 months? NOBODY waits 2 months. That’s the behavior of a first time self-managing landlord, not a professional property manager.
Have them file for eviction on Monday. If they collect this month’s rent MAYBE you keep them while shopping for a new backup PM. If thsi tenant moves out you switch PM’s during the vacancy to the one you start interviewing Monday.
You need a new PM. Their lease says they will file eviction in 10 days and yet they tell you they wait 2 months? NOBODY waits 2 months. That’s the behavior of a first time self-managing landlord, not a professional property manager.
Truth. Do you have any referrals? Thanks in advance.
Sorry no. My properties are in Vegas and Minneapolis.
Try a new post titled searching for new PM In Memphis Tennessee that way people with any of those keywords will be notified of your post and can chime in. It’s good you have your location in your profile but it needs to be in your post for them to see it.
@Jay Ke since you're loooking for a new PMC, here's our copy & paste advice about that:
_________________________________________________________
We’re a Property Management Company (PMC) in Metro Detroit ONLY, with 25+ years of experience, and we’ve seen owners make the same mistakes, over & over again when looking to hire a PMC – which drives us nuts!.
In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make is ASSUMING all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY.
So, owners mistakenly think price is the only differentiator – and look for a PMC like they’d shop for groceries☹
We encourage you to learn from the mistakes of others by reading posts here on BiggerPockets from owners that picked a PMC solely by price and regretted it.
We recommend exploring as many sources as possible to get referrals AND cross-reference them to get as much accurate information as possible.
Check out NARPM.com, BP’s Property Manager Finder (BiggerPockets: The Real Estate Investing Social Network), etc.
Even if someone gives you a referral, do NOT make the mistake of assuming that just because a PMC met their expectations, they’ll meet your expectations. We all have our own expectations and what works for someone else, may not work for you.
If you’re new to all of this, it's often a case of not doing enough research, as you don't know what you don't know!
So, ask more questions!
EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!
This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.
The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!
A well written management contract should clearly spell out what is expected of both the PMC and the owner, to PROTECT both and avoid misunderstandings. Why do you think purchase contracts are so long and have such small print?
We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.
EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!
P.S. If you just hire the cheapest or first PMC you speak with and it turns into a bad experience, please don’t assume ALL PMC’s are bad and start trashing PMC’s in general. Take ownership of your mistake and learn to do the proper due diligence recommended above😊
Here’s some articles we’ve contributed to BiggerPockets about screening a PMC BETTER than you would a tenant!
20 Questions to Ask When Vetting a Property Management Company: Processes
13 Questions to Ask to a PMC: Communication and Documentation
24 Questions to Ask When Evaluating a Property Management Contract
Hey BP community,
Looking for some advice from experienced landlords here. I have a tenant who hasn’t paid this month’s rent and is now past due for more than 3 weeks. My property manager has been trying to reach them through calls, emails, and texts — but there’s been zero response. Completely silent.
I’ve never dealt with a totally unresponsive tenant before. I’m trying to figure out the best next step:
1.File eviction right away?
2.Offer cash for keys?
3.Keep waiting a bit longer in case there’s a reason behind the silence?
For those of you who’ve been through this — how did you handle it? Any lessons learned or tips to avoid making the situation worse?
Appreciate any input or strategies you’ve used. This is part of the business, but definitely a stressful one.
Thanks in advance!
Evict um.
Insist that your PM start eviction on Monday, or fire them...
If a tenant has been unresponsive for multiple weeks, the first step is to post a 3 day notice. This normally gets the tenant communicating. The second step is to do a safety check. My experience tells me that about 30% of the time the tenant has already moved out, 10% of the time they are in the hospital, 1% of the time they have died, and the remainder are dodging us.
If you PM hasn't done this yet than you may want to reevaluate your relationship with them.
The second step is to do a safety check. My experience tells me that about 30% of the time the tenant has already moved out, 10% of the time they are in the hospital, 1% of the time they have died, and the remainder are dodging us.
It's Memphis so we all have a pretty good idea of who is in there. They haven't gotten their taxpayer-funded money due to the shutdown, or what they have gotten has gone elsewhere. That, or they're part of the recent gang-cleanup where near a thousand people in the greater Memphis area who had warrants were arrested.
I'd check
https://tennesseejailroster.com/police/memphis-arrests-and-m... or
https://imljail.shelbycountytn.gov/IMLYour tenant may be in jail which is why there is no response.
@Jennie Ballard We have the keys for all units and if a tenant isn't responding we have the right to enter the property unannounced if we feel that there is an emergency. We do not involve the police unless there is a death.
Normally, after a few weeks the tenant or a family member contacts us to let us know that they were in the hospital or incarcerated.
We do not normally adjust the late fees. In today's world most responsible tenants set up auto pay for the rent and no matter what happens it is paid. We have made exceptions in extreme circumstances.
Hello,
We have in our lease a 14-day abandonment clause. After the 5-day grace period from the 1st, If no response or reply after we post the "notice to quit" (14-day window) , we consider the property abandoned. Will gain entry to the unit per lease.