Property Manager Trying to Stick it to Me?

Property Manager Trying to Stick it to Me?

Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello Everyone,

First, sorry about the lenth of this post...I'm pretty upset with the situation and wanted to get it off my chest.

Long time reader, first time poster. I have a couple rental properties however I recently hired my first property manager for a property in Northern Virginia. I hired them in February to find a tenant and manage the property in my abscence. I have since moved 800 miles away. We found a tenant and she moved in this past weekend. I lived in the property for 6 months before I left and renovated almost everything however I never touched anything electrical. Also, my home inspector gave me an "all clear" on the electrical during the walk through. I installed new ceiling fans upstairs which all worked when I left. My property manager emailed me to tell me the master bed ceiling fan was not working and a couple outlets were dead and they needed to send one of thier maintenance men out.

Ok, now please read the email I received from them today:

"Good evening, Mr. XXXXXX.

We have sent out several XXXX Handyman technicians at different times to investigate the electrical issues that we have discussed through previous emails. While investigating the power problems in your home, one of technician found that the light at the top of the stairs had 240 volts as well as the attic light fixture. As much as our initial effort was to minimize your costs and not get a licensed electrician involved, we had no option but to call on a licensed electrician to investigate and resolve the issues. We called upon XXXX Electric, who is one of our trusted vendors. We were under the assumption that something had gone wrong at the breaker box and we would still be well within our previous estimate.

Upon investigating the issue with the ceiling fan, the electrician notified us of numerous building code violations that are causing these severe issues throughout the property. It appears that during the home remodeling stage some building codes were not adhered to. What he found was that there were exposed wires in the attic, open wiring connections in the attic, incorrect gauge wiring, and ground wires not connected. Any one of these items would be a fire hazard; all of them combined was a situation that required the electrician to either immediately notify the County or begin to repair the issues and eliminate the threat of fire. Notifying the County would have meant an immediate visit from the fire department/fire marshal who would have condemned the building unsafe for residency, having to schedule an inspection with the County to validate that all violations were corrected, paying a fine of $350 for each violation found in the house, and having to break the lease because the house could not be delivered as agreed upon.

For all of these reasons, we asked that the violations be corrected as quickly as possible. Originally the electrician was planning to call the county on the spot, however we convinced the electrician not to call county and told him that he can do the work immediately which meant there was no reason to report the property to the county. I have attached a copy of the final invoice from XXXX Electric Services for your property at XXXX. for work performed. The original pricing for the work was at $100.00 an hour. The electrician spent over 20 hours working on rectifying the issues. We negotiated a 25% discount to reduce the expense for you as much as possible. He sent us his final invoice today.

Would you like to send the check directly to XXXX Electric or would you like us to pay the invoice on your behalf and charge your account?"

Needless to say my first experience with a property manger isn't starting off well. My issues with this email:

1. They performed 20 hours of work and I receive no communication whatsoever until now??

2. The "trusted vendor" they chose to come out threatened to call the county on the spot? Doesn't sound like a very trusting relationship to me

3. I never touched any wiring while living there and the inspector gave me the green light (although I don't know how closely he looked at the wiring).

So here is my question for all you out there in the bigger pockets community: How would you respond to this situation? In my current state of mind I want to fire this PM, find another, and report these guys to the BBB and NPMA.

Please help this newbie. I'm extremely disheartened by this and am second guessing being an absentee landlord.

Tim

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Anthony GaydenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

@Timothy Sparrow the first thing I would do is ask to talk to the electrician. I would want a detailed list from them of everything that was done. I also would want pictures. If I am spending thousands of dollars on a property and I can't physically see the work being done, pictures are mandatory. Also a detailed invoice of all materials and charges, and any warranties should be scanned and emailed to you. I also would like the electrician to explain to me the work.

I personally don't blame the electrician, but I would want to be certain that the work that was stated was actually completed, and I want to be certain that everything that the property manager was claiming is true.

The next thing I would do is fire your property manager. I could care less if they thought the situation demanded immediate attention, it isn't their money that is being spent. It is total BS if they are suggesting that a second quote from a different electrician couldn't have been obtained. When it comes to expensive repairs, I like to get multiple quotes so that I know I am not paying the single most expensive contractor in town.

@Brian Mathews you are taking this too personally since you are a contractor, but there is no way I would have any work that costs thousands of dollars done on my property without getting estimates from a few different sources. That doesn't mean craigslist handymen, that means from licensed and certified professionals. Everyone on this site knows that there are some unsavory contractors that literally charge double or even triple the going rates to gullible people.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Wow, this PM story really sucks. The PM sucks, the so called 20 hour job for a few wires sucks. The threat of county narc sucks. The 25% discount reeks of scam. Sorry this happened to you.

    Wtf is the communication I would send to everyone involved.

    Perhaps, I am off base but I would not let the PM, electrician or inspector step foot on any property again. It sounds like none of them had your

    business interest as a primary concern.

    Thanks,

    Matt

    P.S. Instruct any PMs to text 24/7 any issues immediately.

  • Involved In Real Estate · My City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 181 posts · 81 votes
    12y

    I worked as an electrician for a licensed company for a few years out of school. We got calls like this from people when a string of outlets / lights got interrupted. Most times it was due to a recent device (outlet / light fixture) change and a connection wasn't tightened good enough that came loose over time, or a device failure. I've never seen a wire fail between devices , not to say that it never happens. When splices / junction boxes are hidden in walls during a remodel (against code), that's where hunting a phantom interruption becomes bedeviling. A "professional Electrician" should've been able to hunt down an interruption or a failed device within three hours.

    As far as finding violations and making extra work, threatening to call in the county / building dept., I call B.S. on that one. That's where I'd go nuts. No contractor would want that kind of a reputation, ever. Could you imagine him finding that all over the internet someone posted telling everyone how super safety conscious he is, that he'll report any & all violations found to the city while working on your home if you don't let him fix them on the spot. How long do you think he'd be welcome into any potential customers homes or businesses? In this day of the internet where anyone can leave a bad review, especially if they have an ax to grind, you don't want to be in that mix there as a contractor or any other kind of business.

    Sure we'd find other problems, some nasty, we'd mention it to the home owner verbally but would never think of threatening "violations" for extra work. You don't need to protect your livelihood / license that way. If your sent to find a short, you're looking on that circuit, not all over an attic, you're not there to do an "inspection". There is no assumption that you should've saw something should a place burn down even the next day. Fires are rare, most are caused by people. Even in the nastiest places with all kinds of violations, they are still open buildings & homes that are standing without issue or repairs.

    I think you got screwed by both, they saw you as easy pickens being 800 miles away and unfortunately you kind of are, especially when you are notified after the fact.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y

    It does sound a bit suspicious for sure.

    However even if everything that went down was 100% legit and they in fact did get you a "deal" on the work the main issue is the total lack of communication for NO obvious reason.

    If you had a voicemail, email and maybe text from the PM within a couple minutes explaining the basics of what they said in the after completion email, and said they were going to authorize the electrician to get started pending you getting back to them to avoid the reporting and stuff I'd have a little more sympathy.

    In that case at least they tried to get in touch with you and you would know what was going on in short order. Even if the 20 hours was for 2 guys you figure that was still split over 2 days. If you really wanted to put the breaks on it with a sniff test you wouldn't have been in for more than a couple hours most likely.

    Really no excuse for not even trying to get in touch.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    Who says you shouldn't be mad at the electrician? Don't you think their might be a kick back arrangement between the electrician and the property manager? Further, who charges that much for that work? Thats completely ridiculous.....thanks for the 25 percent discount on the 1000 percent markup, appreciate it Further, no PM should have the right to spend money like that without consultation. Ridiculous.
  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    12y

    This is why I self manage. That property manager would be fired immediately and I'd like some documentation from the electrician about what was actually done to justify that padded bill. There would also be reviews of both businesses all over the Internet. ripoffreport.com is always a huge torn in the side of a questionable business, it ranks really well in the search engines.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Let's see ... handyman plays with electrical stuff that requires a license in most jurisdictions ... why is that PM not following regulations there? And who knows what that handyman did while playing with the electrical wiring ...

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    Step 1 have the electrician send you a itemized bill directly , When you receive the bill , DO NOT OPEN IT . Leave it sealed . Now have another electrician inspect the work and write up a report , dont mention any names .

    If the work wasnt done , and you were billed thru the mail , I believe this is mail fraud , second I would call the electrical inspector , the licensed electrician who "did " the work MUST pull a permit and by doing the work he violated the law and can lose his license . Have a copy of the letter from the management company for the inspection dept . Sending handymen out to touch electric is a violation . A light bulb would last about a tenth of a second with 240 volts . I think it may explode the bulb too .

    .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.