First time landlord going through the winter months in Columbus OH. My tenants park on the side of the house on this gravel patch - do I need to clear the snow from this area in the winter? They don't have parking in their lease technically, but since we have the space on the side of the building they are welcome to use it. We have 2 long sidewalks that lead to the front of the house that I know I need to clear. How does that work? Do most of you hire a company and how often do they come? I would rather give the money to my tenant if he wants to clear the snow in exchange for a rent reduction but I have no idea what the price should be, how often it needs to be done, etc. I guess he would need to take a picture of the snow removal so I can give him a rent credit every month
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10mo
For private driveways or sidewalks to a private entrance, my lease makes the tenant responsible for snow removal. For some duplexes my leases specify shared responsibility for snow removal. For parking lots, I provide snow removal with >3".
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10mo
For private driveways or sidewalks to a private entrance, my lease makes the tenant responsible for snow removal. For some duplexes my leases specify shared responsibility for snow removal. For parking lots, I provide snow removal with >3".
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 972 posts · 639 votes
10mo
You don’t have to clear the gravel area if parking isn’t in the lease, but you’re still safest handling snow and ice consistently to reduce liability. If you want the tenant to take it on, put the expectations in writing, what areas they’re responsible for, how soon after snowfall it needs to be done, and that they’ll send photos for verification. A fair rent credit is usually whatever a local service would charge. Whatever route you choose, just make sure it’s clear and documented.
If it’s not in your lease that tenant is responsible and this is the multi family Section 8 building you mentioned in another thread that would make things more complicated. Isn’t this something your PM handles?
First time landlord going through the winter months in Columbus OH. My tenants park on the side of the house on this gravel patch - do I need to clear the snow from this area in the winter? They don't have parking in their lease technically, but since we have the space on the side of the building they are welcome to use it. We have 2 long sidewalks that lead to the front of the house that I know I need to clear. How does that work? Do most of you hire a company and how often do they come? I would rather give the money to my tenant if he wants to clear the snow in exchange for a rent reduction but I have no idea what the price should be, how often it needs to be done, etc. I guess he would need to take a picture of the snow removal so I can give him a rent credit every month
You don't need to handle this. If tenant wants snow shoveled they can shovel it.
First time landlord going through the winter months in Columbus OH. My tenants park on the side of the house on this gravel patch - do I need to clear the snow from this area in the winter? They don't have parking in their lease technically, but since we have the space on the side of the building they are welcome to use it. We have 2 long sidewalks that lead to the front of the house that I know I need to clear. How does that work? Do most of you hire a company and how often do they come? I would rather give the money to my tenant if he wants to clear the snow in exchange for a rent reduction but I have no idea what the price should be, how often it needs to be done, etc. I guess he would need to take a picture of the snow removal so I can give him a rent credit every month
Welcome to BP, Lolo! In Columbus, Ohio, landlords are generally required to clear snow from areas that are part of the lease or that tenants have a legal right to use safely, like the sidewalks leading to the front door, so it sounds like you’re already covering the most important areas. For informal spots like a gravel side parking area that isn’t in the lease, it’s usually up to you whether you want to maintain it, but it can be a nice goodwill gesture if you allow tenants to use it. A lot of landlords hire snow removal companies for the sidewalks and driveways once or twice a week during heavy snow, depending on the season, while others work out arrangements with tenants where they clear it in exchange for a small rent credit, and having them send a picture is a smart way to track it. Pricing can vary, but for a side gravel patch, something like $20–50 per visit could be reasonable depending on the size and effort, and most people adjust the frequency based on snowfall rather than a fixed schedule. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10mo
Honestly, I’d just hire someone this winter so you don’t stress about it. Then when the lease renews, make it super clear what’s the tenant’s responsibility and what’s yours. After that, if they want to take it over for a small rent break, it’ll be way easier to manage.
Honestly, I’d just hire someone this winter so you don’t stress about it. Then when the lease renews, make it super clear what’s the tenant’s responsibility and what’s yours. After that, if they want to take it over for a small rent break, it’ll be way easier to manage.
I was going to say something similar. I'd find a way to make sure it gets done this winter - and that the area is safe. If the tenant renews the lease or if you enter into a lease with a new tenant, I'd provide clear instructions on snow removal. The leases I use (ezLandlordForms) have a section about it and I attach a Winter Weather Addendum. It avoids confusion.You could always just add an addendum or amendment if the tenant stays so you're covered next winter.
In my multi family houses I plow the driveway and if the cars are gone we also plow the parking spots when the plow guy is there. If it turns icy we sand the areas.
It is in my lease that tenants are responsible for the stairs to the front door, usually 2-4 stairs as well as shoveling out their cars where the plow can't go.
I do check frequently to make sure the access to the buildings remains properly shoveled and do clean up shoveling if necessary.
I am in the process of buying my first building that has a significant sidewalk to the parking, maybe 25' and have been discussing this with my contractor who also does my plowing. He believes as I eventually move tenants into the building that I should reach out to them one by one and try to negotiate shoveling in exchange for a discount on rent during the snow season. And then for me to go out to the building following a snow event to make sure it's been done correctly. After careful consideration I may get some quotes to just hire someone to do it that has liability insurance so I know it's done right.
If they are renting the entire house, then they are normally responsible for snow removal and cutting the grass-it may vary by area, but that's how it works where I am (in Canada).
Investor / Landlord · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 174 votes
10mo
Get a landlord-tenant attorney to ask. Not as simple as it seems.
Purely as a guess, I'm 90% certain that you should have made it part of the lease clearly making it their responsibility. At this point, I'm guessing you should clear it but - with statutory notice prior to the lease renewal, make it part of next lease.
I'm reasonably certain that if you ask them to clear it and they get hurt, you will be liable. Better to just do it yourself or hire someone who has Worker's Comp insurance.
Hello, I have a quadplex in the Midwest. I have been bouncing around on this subject lately. My tenant used to take care of this for a discounted rent. I recently just switched to using GreenPal for grass and snow removal. You just put in your address and email and contractors send you quotes. Been working ok for me for the past year.
Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10mo
Unless this is a single-family house, do NOT let the tenant be responsible for the sidewalks/stairs, etc.
Why? Our experience has been that when someone (yes, even the tenant) slips and falls, the attorney will be suing the owner of record of the property. Not the tenant who was effectively paid for that service.
It's just not worth it. Make sure that the snow removal company you do use is fully insured.
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10mo
I agree with @Marc Winter. This has premises liability written all over it. Even the side gravel yard should be cleared. Whether or not the lease explicitly grants tenants access, there’s clear precedent that they’ve been using that area for parking, and they likely have other communication showing you were aware of it. Even if your lease says snow or ice removal is the tenant’s responsibility, you’re still getting pulled into a claim if the fails to clear it and someone gets hurt whether it's a tenant, guest of a tenant etc.
If you hire a snow-removal vendor, you can use a contract with an indemnification provision and pair it with an endorsement under their CGL policy which adds you as additional insured to their policy (not the same as merely receiving an insurance certificate as a certificate holder). That way, if the vendor fails to perform and someone is injured, you’re better protected. You don’t have those safeguards when you rely on the tenant, and they drop the ball.
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
10mo
@Stuart Udis Most snow removal contractors have an indemnification provision in their contract holding them harmless for slip and falls . Once we have left the site we have no control over wind blown snow , snow melt and refreeze , and whatever snow comes off cars , etc .
Apartment complexes have their own inhouse maintenance that keep up on snow . Small landlords cant afford to have the plow contractor coming back constantly to moniter after a storm . Depending on the amount of snow and the freeze thaw cycle it can get very expensive .
We do have properties that pay for that service , and its expensive , but they are commercial Triple net type centers
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10mo
@Matthew Paul I hear what you're saying. I should clarify the indemnification favoring the property owner shouldn't be overly broad. For instance, most municipalities require snow to be cleared within a set number of hours of snow fall. If a snow removal vendor is contracted to perform snow removal services and fails to remove snow within that timeframe, the vendor should indemnify the property owner. Same should also apply to poorly performed services that don't live up to industry standards (pre-salting when there's forecasted snow or ice accumulation, poorly cleared surfaces etc.). This should be clearly laid out in the service agreement. If a vendor won't agree to this, that should be treated as a red flag.
If a tenant, guest or passerby falls during an active snow fall or within a time frame before the municipality requires the surface to be cleared there's generally less of a liability concern on the property owner. However, commercial properties (multi-family included) are often held to higher standards.
Also, its common practice to require snow removal vendors to return periodically to re-salt or perform clearing services. This should be outlined in the service contract and similarly, if the vendor fails to perform those responsibilities, vendor should indemnify the property owner.
Being a "small landlord" does not give that property owner a pass. While I understand there's efficiencies to larger operations if someone owns real estate in a location that presents snow accumulation risks, it's a cost that should be accounted for in underwriting the real estate. Making tenants responsible for common areas is a risky proposition.
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
10mo
@Stuart Udis I agree on multi units , making tenants responsible for common areas is a bad idea . But in my 42 years of doing snow removal the small landlords never consider the costs of snow removal , especially if we get a large snowfall . We plow with the storm , and all storms are different , snow depth , ice , wind . Salting a couple times and return trips for new ice . It can get expensive rather quick . ( Into the thousands of dollars ) . Especially when you have to load snow in dump trucks and haul off .
And due to slip and fall lawsuits , we stay on top of the properties we maintain , and we charge for everything we do . The customer pays a minimum every time we show up even if we are there just to inspect . We take pictures , log times and how much salt , etc . This can go on for days after a snow storm .
Small landlords generally cant or wont pay for top tier service
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10mo
If you are legally obligated by your state law which it sound like you are I would hire someone to clear sidewalks only. the gravel isn't in your lease and a tough shovel anyway.
Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 525 posts · 197 votes
10mo
@Megan Tyberg Sounds like you are thinking about this the right way. Since the gravel parking area is not in the lease, you may not be required to clear it, but it is still smart to keep it safe if tenants are using it. Offering a small rent credit for snow removal can work, just make sure it is in writing with clear expectations and photos for proof. That way, everyone is on the same page.