Larger two story zero lot line vs smaller single story with a backyard

Larger two story zero lot line vs smaller single story with a backyard

Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 8 votes

Excluding financials on these properties. Looking at a new home build and just contemplating from a rentability standpoint is a larger two story (4/3.5 bath) with zero lot line and no yard (community amenities) or a single story 3/2 with a small bit of a yard (low maintenance). Generally all things being equal what renters will gravitate toward which property...

0Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8mo

If I were looking at this, the first thing I would do is check with the insurance companies and see if there's a difference in insurance between the two.

As far as renters preferring one or the other, it would be smart to figure out if each is in a class class B, C, or D area, because the renters in each can have different credit profiles.

Also you should try and get an idea of the average rent on each type of rental in the immediate vicinity, as well as tour some of the competing units and see what they're offering for the money compared to the ones you're considering buying.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8mo

    If I were looking at this, the first thing I would do is check with the insurance companies and see if there's a difference in insurance between the two.

    As far as renters preferring one or the other, it would be smart to figure out if each is in a class class B, C, or D area, because the renters in each can have different credit profiles.

    Also you should try and get an idea of the average rent on each type of rental in the immediate vicinity, as well as tour some of the competing units and see what they're offering for the money compared to the ones you're considering buying.

    Good Luck!

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    @Christopher Stewart, a couple thoughts:

    1. I don't think you are asking the right question. It will likely be mostly 2 different tenant groups looking at these 2 different kinds of houses. 

    The larger house will certainly cost more to build and I presume you will want/need/expect to charge more rent for it. This likely means the tenant who chooses it NEEDs 4 bedrooms and has to pay the premium to have that larger home while most people who only need 3 bedrooms will go with something lower priced. 

    2. I think more reasonably what you want to know is what the demand is like for a larger home versus a smaller one at their respective price points. I don't think that will be easy to assess. 

    However, I think its reasonable to assume a modestly thinner market for the larger home. So, I would underwrite a little more vacancy cost is all. 

    3. Speaking of vacancy/turnover, these are "family sized" homes. However, the lack of outdoor space does not sound like most people's idea of what they want in a forever home. Do you expect in your market that tenants will stay in these homes an average amount of time or shorter than average? If so, again I would underwrite for more vacancy. 

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Personally, I would prefer the no yard option over the small yard option.  I don't want any maintenance, I will walk away from the house to get out in nature.  I could see a small yard appealing to families with pets or children if they have been living in apartment complexing with no personal outdoor space.

    Agree that four bedrooms is a lot.  I found it difficult to find enough comps to get good market rent on 4 and 5 bedroom houses, there aren't enough of them around for rent.  Which helps with desirability (and longer tenancy maybe) but outliers can also be riskier. I could see a large family, foster parents, or two work from home professionals wanting four bedrooms.  Two story will turn off people who are older or have health issues, single story has more flexibility.  I think moving from one to two bathrooms is a game changing but after that it is just more to clean and you may not get a premium for more.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2026 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    8mo

    In my experience, if there is a good community amenity close by, the yard will not bring in extra demand, it could actually be a negative, depending on the maintenance and responsibilities of the renter.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8mo

    Why not do a 2 story with a smaller footprint?  You are likely attracting a family for a house, so having a bit of a yard is important.

  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    8mo

    exactly the input I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 602 posts · 449 votes
    8mo

    How renters typically behave (all else equal)

    Larger two-story, zero lot line (4/3.5, no yard)

    Attracts:

    Roommate groups

    Larger families prioritizing bedrooms over outdoor space

    Shorter-to-mid-term renters

    Renters trading space for affordability vs luxury apartments

    Trade-offs:

    Higher wear and tear (stairs, bathrooms, shared living areas)

    More noise complaints between floors

    More turnover when household composition changes

    Less emotional attachment to the property

    This layout rents fast, but it often turns more.

    Smaller single-story with a small yard (3/2)

    Attracts:

    Families with kids

    Older renters

    Pet owners

    Long-term, stability-focused tenants

    Advantages:

    Single-story living is universally preferred long term

    Yard creates emotional stickiness, even if it’s small

    Fewer maintenance issues tied to stairs and vertical plumbing

    Lower churn and longer average tenancy

    These don’t always rent faster, but they rent longer.

    What usually performs better as a rental

    Across most suburban and secondary markets:

    Single-story homes outperform on retention

    Two-story homes outperform on initial rent per square foot

    If your goal is:

    Maximum rent today → two-story

    Lower headaches + longer stays → single-story

    Vacancy and turnover costs quietly erase a lot of the extra rent from larger homes over time.

    One important wildcard: HOA and community design

    Zero lot line homes almost always come with:

    HOA rules

    Rental caps

    Tenant restrictions

    Limited exterior control

    That adds operational risk you don’t fully control.

    A small private yard, even low maintenance, gives you:

    More control

    Fewer compliance issues

    Better tenant satisfaction

    If I had to choose one property to hold long term as a rental, with everything else equal:

    Single-story 3/2 with a small yard wins more often than not.

    It produces:

    Longer tenancies

    Fewer headaches

    More predictable performance

    The larger two-story works fine, but it behaves more like a “high-usage asset” than a durable one.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.