Some tips on managing properties, either DIY or with a property management firm.

Some tips on managing properties, either DIY or with a property management firm.

Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes

I've been seeing a lot of posts here (and on Reddit and other real estate forums) from landlords asking whether they should self-manage, hire a property management company, or how to handle specific situations with tenants.

I've been in property management for a little over 23 years, and I also own a fairly large portfolio of residential and commercial properties myself. Over the years, I've made plenty of mistakes, learned a lot of lessons (sometimes the expensive way), and seen just about every situation imaginable.

I thought I'd put together a few things that have helped me over the years. This isn't meant to be the "only" way to do things.  There are plenty of successful DIY landlords out there, and there are also some outstanding property management companies. Both approaches can work.

Hopefully, this helps someone avoid a costly mistake or at least gives newer investors another perspective.

One quick disclaimer before diving in: my experience is primarily in New York (including NYC, which is basically its own world when it comes to landlord-tenant law), New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Every state, and sometimes every city, has different rules.

For example, Newark and Edison are both in New Jersey, yet they each have local ordinances that can affect how certain situations are handled. Connecticut is fairly consistent statewide, but I wouldn't assume that's true everywhere.

With that said...

1. A Real Estate Agent and a Property Manager Are Not the Same Thing

This is probably one of the biggest misconceptions I see.

A good real estate agent can be an incredible resource when buying or selling property. But unless they also manage rental properties, property management is an entirely different business.

I've heard advice like:

 "Just make the seller deliver the property vacant."

Depending on where the property is located, that may not even be legally possible.

In much of New York, especially municipalities that have adopted Good Cause Eviction, and throughout New Jersey under the Anti-Eviction Act, tenants generally can't simply be removed because ownership changes.

Even owner occupancy has different rules depending on the property type and location.

Likewise, most landlords can't simply terminate a lease early because they changed their mind. There usually has to be a legal basis or mutual agreement.

The point isn't that real estate agents don't know what they're talking about; they absolutely do in their area of expertise.

It's just important to remember that buying and selling real estate and managing rental housing are two very different professions.

For legal questions, a landlord-tenant attorney is almost always the best resource.

Ironically, after 23 years, I've had attorneys call me asking how certain situations typically play out in practice. Law and real-world property management don't always look the same.

2. Cash Reserves Will Save You More Than Once

If I could give only one piece of advice to a new landlord, this might be it.

Have cash.

Then have a little more.

Every landlord eventually gets hit with something expensive.

A roof fails.

A sewer line collapses.

A boiler dies in January.

A tenant skips out.

A vacancy lasts longer than expected.

An eviction takes six months instead of six weeks.

If you're relying on credit cards every time something goes wrong, real estate starts becoming stressful instead of enjoyable.

Personally, I like keeping around six months of operating expenses in a high-yield savings account dedicated strictly to the rental properties.

Everyone's numbers will be different, but if your properties generate around $6,000 per month, I'd want roughly $30,000 available without having to borrow it.

This year alone I've spent roughly $140,000 on turnovers across three buildings.

Was I thrilled about it?

Absolutely not.

Was I able to sleep at night because the money was already sitting there?

Absolutely.

Reserves buy you time, options, and peace of mind.

3. Build a Team Before You Need One

The worst time to find a plumber is when water is pouring through the ceiling.

Every landlord should have a bench of reliable professionals.

That includes:

- Attorney

- Plumber

- Electrician

- HVAC contractor

- Roofer

- General contractor

- Handyman

- Insurance broker

- Accountant

Even more importantly...

Have backups.  People retire, contractors get booked out, someone gets sick, someone stops answering their phone.

It happens.

If you're hiring a property management company, ask questions.

Who actually performs the maintenance?

Do they have employees or is everything subcontracted?

Will you receive multiple estimates?

Do they mark up invoices?

Will you see receipts?

Transparency shouldn't be optional.

You should always know where your money is going.

4. Protect Your Privacy

This one doesn't get discussed enough.

Whenever possible, I prefer not to live in the same property that I'm renting out.

If you do, I'd recommend treating yourself like any other tenant.

Maintain professional boundaries.

Separate your business from your personal life.

I also recommend using a dedicated business phone number, business email, and a separate mailing address whenever possible.

Yes, someone can usually figure out ownership through public records if they're determined enough.

Most people won't.

There's no reason to make it easier.

I've also had good experiences using services like DeleteMe to reduce the amount of personal information available through online data brokers.

Nothing is perfect, but every additional layer helps.

5. Insurance Is the Cheapest Thing You'll Ever Be Happy You Bought

This is one area where trying to save a few hundred dollars can cost you hundreds of thousands later.

I generally recommend buying insurance from financially strong carriers with an AM Best rating of A or better.

Personally, I've had good experiences with Chubb, USLI, and Erie.

Military members and certain government employees may also find excellent coverage through USAA.

Everyone's risk tolerance is different, but I usually suggest discussing at least $1 million per occurrence, a $2 million aggregate, and an umbrella policy with your insurance professional.

Here's why.

A couple of years ago we took over management of a six-unit building in Hoboken.  The owner had owned it since the 1980s.

He'd never had a claim.  Never had a lawsuit, and he thought everything was fine.

We convinced him to increase his liability limits and purchase a $2 million umbrella policy.

A few months later, someone claimed they slipped on the sidewalk in front of the building.

In Hoboken, property owners generally have responsibility for maintaining the adjoining sidewalk.

No cameras, no witnesses...  Just one person's word against another's.  The lawsuit dragged on for quite a while.  Thankfully, he had increased his coverage before everything happened, and he ultimately prevailed, but the process was incredibly stressful.

We later added exterior cameras around the property because those few hundred dollars in equipment could save tens of thousands in legal expenses if something similar ever happens again.

Real estate has been very good to me over the years, but it has also taught me plenty of lessons; many of them the hard way.

There isn't one "perfect" way to be a landlord.

Some people successfully self-manage hundreds of units.

Others hire great property managers and never look back.

The important thing is building systems that protect your time, your money, and your sanity.

If this post is helpful, I'm happy to put together another one covering topics like tenant screening, lease enforcement, handling difficult residents, budgeting for capital improvements, working with contractors, or evaluating a property management company before hiring one.

I'd also love to hear what's worked well for everyone else. Some of the best ideas I've picked up over the years have come from conversations with other investors.

Take care all.

4Reply
312 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
2mo

@Adam S. That is a lot of great information, especially for new or aspiring investors. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and practical insights. Building cash reserves and having a reliable team in place before you need them are especially valuable pieces of advice.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    2mo

    @Adam S. That is a lot of great information, especially for new or aspiring investors. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and practical insights. Building cash reserves and having a reliable team in place before you need them are especially valuable pieces of advice.

    • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Adam S. That is a lot of great information, especially for new or aspiring investors. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and practical insights. Building cash reserves and having a reliable team in place before you need them are especially valuable pieces of advice.


      Just sharing some input.  We're all on the same team. :)

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 850 votes
    2mo

    Great advice. The one thing I'd add is to treat your reserves like another monthly bill. Set money aside every month, even when nothing's broken. It feels unnecessary until the day you need a new roof, HVAC, or have a long vacancy. Having those reserves already there makes it a whole lot easier to make good decisions instead of desperate ones.

    • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @G. Brian Davis:

      Great advice. The one thing I'd add is to treat your reserves like another monthly bill. Set money aside every month, even when nothing's broken. It feels unnecessary until the day you need a new roof, HVAC, or have a long vacancy. Having those reserves already there makes it a whole lot easier to make good decisions instead of desperate ones.


      100%.  I would also suggest to have lines of credit available for the big items.  It's always better to have them already secured rather than scrambling at the end.  Quickbooks, for example, offers lines of credit for around 9% APR.  Not bad.
  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo

    Yes this is all great info! The one big take away was working with someone that has experience in property management, and/or owning their own properties that is the biggest thing that you need to take from this post (someone that has good reviews at it). A lot of people have the skills to list a property but not weed through the random fake stuff that tenants give out. I just had one tenant apply for a place I had listed, put a property address down she stated she lived there for 12 years. After reviewing the address on Zillow it was sold 2 years ago, and I asked the possible tenant about it. The person stated they lived in the ADU in back, so I called the agent that sold it and asked about this possible tenant and living there. The agent stated it was never a rental and this person she did not know who it was nor did the live there. Also, the person that was the "landlord" was not on title at all on that property title search within the last 20 years (or ever). These are the critical things to look through when talking to people and landlords etc.

    The McKernan Group4.954 Reviews
    • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Peter Mckernan:

      Yes this is all great info! The one big take away was working with someone that has experience in property management, and/or owning their own properties that is the biggest thing that you need to take from this post (someone that has good reviews at it). A lot of people have the skills to list a property but not weed through the random fake stuff that tenants give out. I just had one tenant apply for a place I had listed, put a property address down she stated she lived there for 12 years. After reviewing the address on Zillow it was sold 2 years ago, and I asked the possible tenant about it. The person stated they lived in the ADU in back, so I called the agent that sold it and asked about this possible tenant and living there. The agent stated it was never a rental and this person she did not know who it was nor did the live there. Also, the person that was the "landlord" was not on title at all on that property title search within the last 20 years (or ever). These are the critical things to look through when talking to people and landlords etc.


      No doubt.  I'll post some tips on what to look out for when going through tenant applications. I have some interesting stories. :) 
  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 525 posts · 197 votes
    2mo

    Great post. One thing I'd add is that good systems are what make either approach work. Whether you self-manage or hire a PM, having consistent processes for maintenance, communication, inspections, and financial reviews makes a huge difference. The better your systems are, the fewer surprises you'll have over the long run.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
    • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Patrick O'Sullivan:

      Great post. One thing I'd add is that good systems are what make either approach work. Whether you self-manage or hire a PM, having consistent processes for maintenance, communication, inspections, and financial reviews makes a huge difference. The better your systems are, the fewer surprises you'll have over the long run.


      100%.  
  • Scott ButlerBusiness Member
    Mid Missouri · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    2mo

    Thank you, Great info. I too run a PM business but also do RE transactions and this is all preachable for the 1st time investors.  

    Real Property Managment Reliant4.817 Reviews
    • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Scott Butler:

      Thank you, Great info. I too run a PM business but also do RE transactions and this is all preachable for the 1st time investors.  


       I am sure you have stories too.  I am sure we can all learn from each other. :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 546 posts · 316 votes
    2mo

    This is a solid overview. One thing I'd add is the value of standardizing your processes, especially as you grow. Two people can inspect the same vacancy or handle the same maintenance issue and come away with completely different conclusions if there isn't a clear standard for what "done right" looks like.

    Whether you're self-managing or working with a PM, having consistent inspection standards, communication expectations, and maintenance workflows can save a lot of repeat work and prevent small issues from turning into expensive ones. Systems really do become the difference-maker over time.

    • Member since 2026 · 72 posts · 30 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Jim Johnson:

      This is a solid overview. One thing I'd add is the value of standardizing your processes, especially as you grow. Two people can inspect the same vacancy or handle the same maintenance issue and come away with completely different conclusions if there isn't a clear standard for what "done right" looks like.

      Whether you're self-managing or working with a PM, having consistent inspection standards, communication expectations, and maintenance workflows can save a lot of repeat work and prevent small issues from turning into expensive ones. Systems really do become the difference-maker over time.


      Agree 100%.  With experience comes knowledge. 
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2mo

    Great post!

  • Member since 2026 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    2mo

    Great post. One thing I’ve seen over and over in multifamily is that successful ownership comes down to building systems before you need them.

    Whether someone self-manages or hires a management company, the fundamentals are the same: clear processes, consistent communication, strong vendor relationships, accurate reporting, and knowing your numbers.

    I especially agree with your point about reserves. A lot of operational issues become financial issues simply because owners don’t have enough runway to make good decisions. Having cash reserves gives you the ability to address problems proactively instead of making reactive choices.

    The biggest difference I’ve noticed between properties that run smoothly and those that constantly feel like a fire drill is usually not the property itself, but the systems behind it.

    Appreciate you sharing the lessons learned over 23 years. There is a lot of value in learning from the mistakes others have already paid for.

  • Member since 2026 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    2mo

    Excellent advice. One thing I’d add is that operational systems are just as important as financial planning. As portfolios grow, documented processes for maintenance, vendors, inspections, and resident communication create consistency and make it much easier to scale without sacrificing service.

  • Member since 2026 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    2mo

    This is awesome!

  • Realtor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 203 posts · 69 votes
    2mo

    Really valuable rundown, Adam — the point about agents vs. property managers being different professions doesn't get said enough. I see it constantly with first-time landlords who assume their buying agent can also advise them on lease enforcement or eviction timelines once they close.

    Since you mentioned CT is "fairly consistent statewide" — that's true relative to NY/NJ, but worth flagging for anyone investing here: notice periods and just-cause protections can still vary by whether the property is in a municipality with rent stabilization overlays (rare, but a couple of towns have local ordinances layered on top of state law), and security deposit interest requirements are state-mandated but often missed by out-of-state investors who assume it's optional.

    Your reserve number ($30k against $6k/mo gross) is a good anchor. I'd add: for anyone buying multifamily in the older CT housing stock (a lot of 1900s-1950s triple-deckers in Hartford/New Haven/Waterbury), budget extra for the "surprise" categories — knob-and-tube remediation, cast iron sewer lines, and oil-to-gas conversions. Those three alone have blown past more first-year investor budgets than anything tenant-related that I've seen.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.