Another tool that may help deter vandals when you have a vacancy. A Fake TV

Another tool that may help deter vandals when you have a vacancy. A Fake TV

Chris K.Pro Member
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes

Just got this a few days ago and was playing around with it last night. It's a small led light that mimics a television in a dark room. It also has a built in timer and light sensor so you can set it to come on in the dark for 4 or 8 hours. It works pretty well and it lights up the whole room when you're looking at it from outside. It ran me $15

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not completely random. There is a pre-programmed lighting sequence. But I'm not sure if this is something I noticed because I knew to look for it. Just another idea for those vacant properties....

Here is what the little box looks like

My camera wasn't the best at shooting in the dark but here is a little sample video.

1Reply
26 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    That's cool, @Chris K. .  Do you have a link for where you found it on Amazon (or elsewhere)?

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joshua D.:

    That's cool, @Chris K. .  Do you have a link for where you found it on Amazon (or elsewhere)?

     I ordered this one at random from ebay. Next one I order will probably be a different type just to see how different they are, if any. I saw a few with MP3 functions also.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 72 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Anything to keep the petty thieves away I like this tool! Thanks for sharing! 

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y
  • Contractor · Chesterfield, VA · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Awesome idea. We should look into offering this product! 

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Chris K. After seeing your post I purchased Fake TV from their website and started using it at a duplex in Milwaukee I am rehabbing.  I think it is very effective, it totally looks like someone is watching TV.  The built-in timer works great too.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    Very nice 

    Thanks Chris and Josh

  • Wholesaler · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    That is SO cool. That may come in handy if I ever put lock boxes on houses I'm working on wholesaling. The ones that I'm worried about putting lock boxes are houses in "rough" neighborhoods. This should work great. Thanks for sharing!

  • Investor · Clovis, CA · Member since 2012 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    Thank you Chris. I will be speaking to my property manager about this. Great for rehabs & vacant rentals. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Dionte Graves 

    nothing petty about your vacant rental getting hit by thieves and vandals  :(   I know what your saying though.... think I will recommend those around to others I know that are rehabbing and see how they work for them.

    the vandals and thieves they get caught on to these things usually after not to long but in the short run I could see this being very benefical if it works of course

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    12y

    Great idea! I guess I'm old school with my lights on timers :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.