Wall Paint Opinions

Wall Paint Opinions

Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes

Living Room: Bed of Roses

Bathroom: Dark Night Zero

Bedroom: Herbal Zero

Ceiling: Pure White

Trim/Crown Molding: Undecided, will take suggestions

Please give your opinion on the paint color choices. Thank you.

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 33 votes
12y
Jeff Lee Picking one color to use on all walls in all properties is one of the first tricks I ever learned and I can't convey through text how much headache it has saved me. Don't make things harder than they have to be. You won't be living there.
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 140 votes
    12y

    @Jeff Lee Is this for a rental or for your own use?

    If for a rental I would HIGHLY recommend neutral colors, so that the tenants can decorate to their taste. I also use ONE paint color for every wall in the house, a neutral off white/pale tan color, this way with multiple units, retouches are easy.

    Personally I LOVE color. My own kitchen is lime green and orange! :-)

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    I like swiss coffee http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/1812 with pure white for ceiling and trim. Personally, I like the contrast between the two colors. I would recommend semi gloss finish so it is easier to clean. 

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    This would be for a rental. I've thought about using neutral (e.g., tan) colors, but man I think they're so generic.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jim Robertson:

    I like swiss coffee http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/1812 with pure white for ceiling and trim. Personally, I like the contrast between the two colors. I would recommend semi gloss finish so it is easier to clean. 

     What would you be using for Swiss Coffee?

  • Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 140 votes
    12y

    @Jim Robertson Swiss Coffee is a good color. Very similar to what I use. I also love a pure white ceiling and trim. I think this combination is very classy.

    @Jeff Lee I think that neutral colors are generic also (did I mention...I LOVE COLOR!!!), but they really set a nice blank palette for the tenants to make their own. Since we don't allow them to paint, screw things into the walls and make other modifications, giving them a neutral backdrop allows them to add the colors they like with accessories. Another option, if you plan to paint at each turnover, is allow the tenants to pick the colors they want.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Neutral,  I had a house where a couple rooms were just painted and I had to do so much work in the rest of the house  I decided not to paint those room,  too many prospects were distracted by the color. they jut couldn't  get past it.  You aren't decorating for you.  The only pace where it may be worth it to deviate from a one color interior in a house is if you have distinictive features or  cabinets in a particular color that don't go well with your standard color

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    Neutral,  I had a house where a couple rooms were just painted and I had to do so much work in the rest of the house  I decided not to paint those room,  too many prospects were distracted by the color. they jut couldn't  get past it.  You aren't decorating for you.  The only pace where it may be worth it to deviate from a one color interior in a house is if you have distinictive features or  cabinets in a particular color that don't go well with your standard color

    Colleen:

    When we did a deep reno on one of our old (read: Victorian) duplexes, we deviated a little.   We still used our standard "magnolia spray" for the living room and entrance, but painted the end wall of the living room in "terra cotta" as an accent wall {reds ... four bloody coats}.   It has turned out to be a huge plus when showing the unit.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Go neutral ... these aren't colors for your own home.  You don't know exactly what the people who will be living in your rental would like.  If I saw a house with those colors for rent, I would pass -- too many different colors.  My own home has beige walls and white trim in every room.

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    @Jeff Lee as others have recommended, I would go with something in the light tan range for the walls and white for trim. Also, as we found after the 3rd house with the 3rd color combination, use the same exact same colors and paints for future properties. Otherwise, you'll have to manage paint colors for each property (yuck!).

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    It it's a rental, that is..

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Beth L.:

    Another option, if you plan to paint at each turnover, is allow the tenants to pick the colors they want.

     I like the idea of giving them preference, but wouldn't that increase vacancy time? I mean, maybe it could work if on Day X you had selected your tenant, they picked the colors, and you took 1-2 days to do the work before they moved in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    Jeff Lee Picking
  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    Jeff Lee Picking one color to use on all walls in all properties is one of the first tricks I ever learned and I can't convey through text how much headache it has saved me. Don't make things harder than they have to be. You won't be living there.
  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 29 votes
    12y

    what is the size of your property? a 6gl paint can cover a 1000 sf condo w/ 8' height walls. With that many color, you will be expected to have lots of waste / unused paint;  which are costs you have to take.  

    I would suggest to have one color or two the most.  many colors will not add value to property, simple tasteful colors can do the magic.  or even one color and allow tenants to add color at their cost and paint back at end of lease.  That's my two cents.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    My cousin has convinced me to go with 1-2 colors. Well, it's really tan for both, just one has 50% tan and the other is a darker tan. Easier and less labor.

    What about bathroom walls being dark blue? For some reason I'm fixated on dark blue walls. Everything else can be tan/white.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 47 votes
    12y

    In California we have been seeing a change of wall paint amongst investors that i have worked with. We formerly painted all walls with this tan sandstone color on all projects. We now have began using a light gray color. 

    We always use swiss coffee/off white on baseboards, and ceiling. 

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 29 votes
    12y

    While the group is discussing this "paint" topic, I have a question would like to ask you guys.  Would you use "Flat" or "Eggshell" for your rental units?

    Per my understanding, eggshell is somewhat more impact resistant, however when comes to repaint, entire wall has to be repainted; spot touch up can not be done.

    On the other side, flat paint is less impact resistant, marks can be easily left on the wall, however, spot touch up will make it look new; somewhat a cost saving at end of terms.

    What is your preference and reason, if you don't mind sharing.  Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 29 votes
    12y

    if your restroom is small, dark paint will make the space look even smaller.  Plus, if you have a large area of a "dark" paint, the end result will be slightly darker than the samples. 

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mike H.:

    what is the size of your property? a 6gl paint can cover a 1000 sf condo w/ 8' height walls. With that many color, you will be expected to have lots of waste / unused paint;  which are costs you have to take.  

    I would suggest to have one color or two the most.  many colors will not add value to property, simple tasteful colors can do the magic.  or even one color and allow tenants to add color at their cost and paint back at end of lease.  That's my two cents.

     3 bed, 1.5 bath

    1312 sq. ft.

  • Investor and Real Estate Agent · Maize, KS · Member since 2014 · 270 posts · 53 votes
    12y

    @Jeff Lee 

    My feedback is going to mirror the masses here.

    Always pick a color scheme that will apeal to the most people. You need to go neutral. Sherwin Williams Latte is what I use inside on all my rentals. Everyone loves it (I've never had a negative comment about it) . As your business grows you want to "simplify" processes. Knowing I don't have to pick out a color pallets each time is a huge stress relief off my plate when I'm busy. The last thing you want to do is put in code one tenant loves that the next will not causing you to have to re paint when they move out

    I go with a brownish for the outsides (can't think of the name off the too of my head)

    Trust Me : do these paint colors become full and boring to me ? (of Course!) -- But the decisions ai make are ones in the best interest or my business ; never decisions of personal taste. I realize the masses love our paint and until that changes I'll be staring at it 

    Hope that helps ;)

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 380 posts · 157 votes
    12y

    I bought a house some years ago in which the previous owners had recently painted with what I considered overly bright colors.  Since it was fresh, I left it as it was and when I went to rent the house out, I repeatedly heard, "Oh, I love the colors!  So many rentals are just off-white..."

    I took that to heart and now use more color in my rentals.  In some, I have chair rail with an off white upper wall (off white tending towards a creamy color) and Brookside from Lowes below the chair rail.    Everyone seems to like it and it classes the place up a bit.   

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_94101-4-40086ABROOKSIDE_0_...

    I also have learned to keep all the rental colors the same.   Rolling paint is easy and fast.  Cutting in is the more time consuming part so I find if I use the same color paint each time I can just roll the walls close to the edges and no cut-in is needed.     Trim can usually go several years without recoating.

    I use flat on the walls except semi-gloss in the kitchen and baths.   I just like the look of flat better.

  • Realtor · Shreveport, LA · Member since 2012 · 311 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    @Jeff Lee .... I have been reading your forum posts over the last few days regarding the debate on the finish materials you are using.

    ***First off I would like to say congratulations on the purchase of this property. I have driven by it and I have to say it looks like a good solid rental.***

     Speaking from someone who has done a handful of rehabs in the last 18 months in the Shreveport/Bossier area I would like to share a small portion of my experiences.  I want to try to share my experiences so hopefully you won't have to make the same mistakes as I did.  Please take this as constructive feedback because I want to see you SUCEED!

    -Use the same color throughout this property and any future properties you might acquire. This will minimize the headache when you have to repaint. Also, you can systemize this part of the rehab for future properties. Neutral paint color for walls and white for trim and ceilings. Save your colors at whatever retailer you use so the next time you paint they can just look it up. Also, highly highly highly recommend using the same Everything on your properties.  It makes it so much easier and you train your contractors/employees/day labor what to use everytime. You create systems. Plus the first question that will come out of the tenants mouth will be: "Is it okay if I paint my child's room, they want to have a ( Insert the darkest most hideous color you can think of) colored room in the new house" .... So don't sweat the small stuff of choosing the most fabulous paint color. Go for the wonderful, fantastic, vibrant color of .... neutral :) By the way... I never let tenants to paint rooms. They will do a half way job and you'll have to fix their mess when they leave.

    -What do you anticipate to get for rent? How did you come about that number? I personally l checked out rent-o-meter, looked at Craigslist ads, spoke to neighbors and talked to local agents. I would highly recommend marketing to military since we are so close to Barksdale.  If you do market to military keep in mind their housing allowances. You would want to stay below that to attract/retain quality tenants.  

    -When will it be available for rent? Keep in mind  we are going into the holiday season soon. Property might sit longer than anticipated if you don't have a plan accordingly. I finished one of mine close to yours in November and had the hardest time finding tenants and when I did who would've guessed it they granted me the gift of teaching me how to go through my first eviction ;)

    Just my two cents...

    Take care and I would love to see the property if you would grant me the opportunity. 

    Michael

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    @Michael Faulk 

    Worry not, I take everything in a positive and constructive manner.

    I believe I will go with a neutral (tan) color. My cousin uses a 100% tan on his walls and 50% on ceiling and closet. I'll follow his lead because I realize it isn't about all of the colors I want and it'll be easier to carry around 2-3 buckets of paint versus 5-6. I will say I'm still wanting a light blue (before it was dark blue) color for the bathrooms.

    For rent, based on what Rentometer shows, I'm hoping to get at least $1000 per month for the worst-case scenario. My ideal amount is $1100. Based on Rentometer, other houses in the neighborhood rent for $1000 to $1300. (I figure over $1200 may be a much larger house than mine and it isn't a fair apples-to-apples comparison.)

    For date of completion, I'm not sure tbh. My cousin, a contractor, will be handling it. The tree that must come down is scheduled to be removed on 10/8. Therefore, even if the interior is complete, it would still take some time to complete the exterior.

    I'm not in too much of a rush because as you said it'll be harder to find a tenant in the winter months. (Maybe I should try to sell it in that one slow month? Haw haw.) Ideally, I'd like it to be completed at/before the end of November.

    I don't mind giving you a tour. PM me the days/times you have available next week and I'll see if I can accommodate.

    P.S. I'm uploading an interior and exterior video I took of the house using my cousin's Go Pro. Combined, they're about 750 MB, so it'll take some time.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y
  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    12y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.