WA state/Puget sound region pet fees?

WA state/Puget sound region pet fees?

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 38 votes

When my wife and I rented, we appreciated houses/apartments that trusted us to have our dogs.

As a future landlord, I would like to extend this to my tenants.

However, I do intend to charge a premium for this privilege. I do want to be fair though.

  • How are you handling pet fees in your rental properties?
  • Are you charging a one time/annual/monthly fee? How much?
  • Are you increasing the deposit? How much?
  • How are you screening the pets? What rules do you have included in the rental agreement?
  • Is there anything that I am not thinking about?

I will be checking with my insurance company before finalizing the lease agreement to make sure I am in compliance with their rules.

Thanks, Chris

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 781 posts · 744 votes
    11y

    Taking pets opens a large segment of the market.  I use a pet addendum that names the animal (limit 2).  I charge a REfundable pet deposit ($350/dog, $250/cat) plus pet rent ($25/dog, $15/cat per month). This gives them incentive to keep Fido clean and damage free while covering the real costs of having pets in your home.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 38 votes
    11y

    Thank you, very helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.