Reserves are almost an absolute necessity!

Reserves are almost an absolute necessity!

Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

They would be an absolute except a few people get lucky and put everything they have into a rental property and nothing goes wrong for a year or two, giving them time to build up cash reserves.  Then again a few people win the lottery.   

However, most people are going to see vacancies, your PM turns out to be a major disappointment,  major unexpected repair work, a tenant who destroys a property and moves out in the middle of the night (especially when starting out), or sudden tax or insurance hike.  There is a  high probability something is going to go wrong within the first couple of years of owning a property, particularly when you don't know either how to inspect a property and/or you don't know how to properly screen tenants.

Remember, the majority of people out there can't come up with $2,000 within 30 days.  If you are one of those people  you need to think long and hard about becoming a landlord.  Yes you might get lucky, but then again you might get lucky in Vegas.  

I strongly believe that having reserves are extremely important to a buy and hold investor. Preferably, those reserves would be in a liquid bank account or other forms of liquid assets (stocks), then a CD, then a credit card with cash available on it, then pulling out of your IRA or borrowing it from someone you know who has the cash and is willing to lend you money when needed. That is a list I put together quickly and will likely tweak, but you get the idea. I'm certain there are other ways to raise some cash that you can count on as your reserves, but I very strongly believe you have to have some way available to quickly raise some cash.

I think investing in buy and hold property is an excellent idea, but it can easily be a terrible idea if you don't have reserves.  I certainly hope the investors in oil dependent parts of the country have some reserves, because I believe they are in for some tough times ahead.  

12Reply
124 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
11y
Originally posted by @Alex M.:

Great post and sage advise. For those of us, though, without the benefit of hindsight and experience in the industry, and without existing wealth or rental portfolios to build reserves to cover future unseen costs - can some of you please expound a little more on the following:

  1. 1. how much is enough to get started? 
  2. 2. what did you  do to build these reserves?
  3. 3. for those out there who are getting by paycheck to paycheck, but wanting to get started, do you really recommend not just jumping in at the first opportunity, but instead waiting until you have a pot of "reserves" at whatever level you recommend (see answer to question 1.).

Thanks all.

Great post, Cal.

Alex, in answer to your questions:

1) It will never feel like enough, honestly.  However, I'd recommend at least five grand, preferably ten, as a reserve.  That should at least cover most of the possible surprises you might face.

2) My husband and I simply lived below our means.  Well below.  Pretty spartan, actually.  We still do, to be honest.  We are both engineers, so yes, we have good-paying jobs, but we also live in Orange County CA, which is quite expensive.  I set up a budget spreadsheet in Excel so we could see how much we could live on, then we stayed focused on being cheap.  We didn't have cable tv (still don't), I clipped coupons (still do), pretty much didn't spend money on anything unless we had to.  We also put off having kids, for 2 reasons: first, kids are expensive, and second, I plan to be a stay at home mom, and doing that wouldn't allow us to save up money.  That's how we saved up the down payment and reserves to buy our first rental, and it's how we've continued to buy rentals and grow our reserves.  We are now finally at the point where we're ready to start a family.

3) I really wouldn't go "all in" on a rental without some sort of reserves.  I don't have that kind of risk tolerance.  Some people do, and that's fine for them, but that's just not for me.

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · raleigh, NC · Member since 2010 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I just want to chime in with my own experience. Years ago when we started the buy and hold business, we were kind of all in: any dime we could save we use it for the next down payment. Yes, at that time I had read about reserve strategy before but I did not think it was necessary. I thought my W2 job, my 401k can always give a helping hand when needed. We had no issue with that strategy. Could be our lucky stars, etc...

    Fast forward to current time where we have quite a few properties, I gradually realize that the reserve is a must. It help clear our minds from having to think: should we move this fund, should we borrow from that credit card for those repairs, etc. The bigger we grow, the more I think we should run the business like a business, as the 401k and W2 are not adequate or would be painful financially to take out. So currently we have multiple layers of reserve:

    - Cash reserve: we move 100$ per door to that reserve account until it hits a certain limit, when it hits, we can use the extra fund for other purposes. As for what is the limit, I still don't believe in 6 month mortgages because the needs always come from repairs, hardly there's a case that all tenants stop paying rent at the same time. Our book keeping software (written by me) keeps track of all the expenses and we base on that to predict future expenses, along with other market insights. I believe this is also the way big companies predicts their future cash demands.

    - Personal and business line of credit, HELOC, credit cards, etc. This is the second layer of defense. It is quite easy to use these funds. The risk is, if the economy goes in recession, banks may revoke those lines.

    - 401k: this is the last line of defense, we can only borrow up to 50k, more than that would be a hardship withdrawal with 10% penalty. I hope I never have to use this.

    Kevin

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    11y

    I bought a 100-year-old house (foreclosure) that had been vacate for 1 year before I bought it.  There were a few big projects that needed to be done right away and a long list of big projects that I knew would need to be done over time.

    Long story short, I knew I was way too short on cash reserves and bought it anyway.  I definitely don't regret it, but I also got a bit lucky in that nothing I wasn't expecting fell apart in those first couple years while I started saving for some of the deferred maintenance repairs.  Though I did have to take out a crazy HIGH interest line when I first bought it...yeah like 36%...to put new flooring on the tenant side so I could start to rent that side out.

    I did have to replace the gutters sooner than expected...but that fortunately happened after I already had a bit of a reserve stashed away.  For the rest of the deferred maintenance repairs (finally done!) and upgrades, I got/get them done as I saved up the money for them.

    I also now have a HELOC for the property, which is a huge sense of relief. It makes me more comfortable aggressively setting aside money to buy my next rental because I know that if catastrophe happens, I can tap into that. Plus at this point, it is almost a brand new house, lol. The only thing I haven't replaced is the roof and it still has a number of years left.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Sam Leon  I feel your pain! Within days of closing on 3 rental properties over the years, the A/C died. In south Florida, it has to be replaced ASAP. We made a deal with the A/C company, that we pay $2K for all new systems of a certain size. Once they offered their own financing, 0% interest over 1 year. 

    We had a tenant trash a condo this past spring; $7K in damages and 2 month's lost rent while renovating. We put the materials on a 0% interest credit card, got the airline points, paid our contractor with cash reserves, then paid off the card. It was still about $3000 out of pocket. Another property this year needed new flooring and a new shower/tub surround - another $3200 in labor/materials. And a property we purchased in September was vacant for 3 months. It's been an expensive year, but we had enough rental income to cover it, plus reserves.

    Our first rental property, 8 years ago, was vacant for 3 months. Less than a year later, our 2nd property's tenant was evicted after 5 months; he stuck us with a $1200 water/sewer bill plus lost rent and renovation costs.

    Luckily, my husband and I had good paying jobs and could wait it out, but you don't want to be cash poor after buying a property. 

  • Investor · Mission, TX · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Great discussion.  Currently, I keep 3K per condo in reserve with the management company that I use, up from the 1K they had recommended.   From these posts, I am starting to feel a bit exposed and will try to develop a global fund with 20K to cover unanticipated unanticipated events.

  • Rental Property Investor · Southport, CT · Member since 2008 · 160 posts · 137 votes
    11y

    This is a great discussion and a really important topic. 

    Sooner or later the roof, the HVAC system, the water line, or some unimagined but vital component will give out. So many investors, trying to operate on a shoestring, set themselves up for an inescapable big hurt, faced with an emergency but with no funds set aside to deal with it.

    Sidebar note: I wrote an article about a month ago on this topic, "Reserves for Replacement and Income-Property Investing." If interested, you'll find it on my blog http://goo.gl/lcmUHh and also on LinkedIn (with a different title, but same article) http://goo.gl/P8mGv0

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    I'm out of votes for you today, Cal...so I'll just say "I agree!" instead...  :)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Aly W. 

      and your still in the rental business good for you sticking it out.. many would have bailed with those issues.  have you ever calculated your actual returns though when you factor in all these loss's?  and or has the property appreciated to the point that these loss's are a minor irritant.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks @Jay Hinrichs . Through the magic of Quickbooks, we can see the pain down to the penny ;) Our FL condos have doubled and tripled in value, as we bought most of them as short sales/REOs several years ago. Rents have stayed high, and we increase them with every new tenant. 

    Our SFRs in Trenton have not fared nearly as well with equity, and the tenants are much harder on the properties when they leave. When those tenants have a major life event - new baby, job loss, loss of rental assistance, etc.) - they themselves have no reserves. That's the demographic.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Aly W. 

      any thought to just selling Trenton and concentrating were your doing well ?

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Want to buy them for what we owe? :)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Aly W. 

      been there done that  :)   Have no interest in that tenant base any longer..

    I had 350 of them at one time... that burnt me out.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs 

    350?? I'd rather stick a fork in my eye, 350 times! ;)

  • Real Estate Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    @Marcia Maynard - Amazing planning and strategy you've got in place!  Truly inspirational.

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Aly W. 

      been there done that  :)   Have no interest in that tenant base any longer..

    I had 350 of them at one time... that burnt me out.

     That sounds like a nightmare!

  • Engineer · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Definitely true. A reserve fund is as important as the liquidity of the fund. 

    I've heard people use their savings as the "additional fund". This is a no-no in my book. A account strictly for the unforeseen is needed!

    Tony

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Cal C.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Aly W. 

      been there done that  :)   Have no interest in that tenant base any longer..

    I had 350 of them at one time... that burnt me out.

     That sounds like a nightmare!

    WEll Cal I passed the T**d to my ex partners pocket.. I had a nice liquidity event and he thought he go the best of it LOL.. now he is living with it but he would not listen and he is like many west coast folks that never invested in the mid west he did not know what he did not know...  :)

  • Investor · Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2013 · 303 posts · 321 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    did you throw in 350 forks along with the deal as @Aly W. described.

    It was funny.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Tom Yung 

     No just felt good to unburden myself and let a partner who thought he knew it all take the rains  :)

  • Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Tom Yung 

     No just felt good to unburden myself and let a partner who thought he knew it all take the rains  :)

     Nice bon mot, assuming it wasn't a typo.  :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.