The reason why you don't hold a unit for someone.

The reason why you don't hold a unit for someone.

Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

There is a reason why most experienced landlords say that you have to be strong and tough. If you give an inch people take a mile. We had a home that we were trying to rent around New Years/Christmas. A tenant applied using smart move and everything looked good. She had good credit, work history, and no evictions. She asked if we could hold the home till she got paid next. 2 weeks? Sure no problem. She was supposed to move in tonight. I called her and she told me that she had a car problem and couldn't afford deposit or first months and was sorry for wasting my time. I literally turned down 10-15 interested parties because it was "already rented". Learn from my mistake!! I know I sure did. 

6Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
11y

You have to collect a deposit to hold a house.

Do the daily rate. Rent / 30 = daily Rate.

In this case if rent was $800 collect a $400 non refundable deposit to hold for 15 days.

Tenants who pay this deposit still back out believe it or not. But at least you were able to get paid for the days it was off the market.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Latonia, KY · Member since 2012 · 107 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    For me deposit has to be in my account prior to removing the listing. Then prorated rent deposited prior to getting keys. Be consistent and you'll have no problems.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Mike S  that's how I will act from now on. I was "compassionate" with it being Christmas and that came around and bit me.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    You have to collect a deposit to hold a house.

    Do the daily rate. Rent / 30 = daily Rate.

    In this case if rent was $800 collect a $400 non refundable deposit to hold for 15 days.

    Tenants who pay this deposit still back out believe it or not. But at least you were able to get paid for the days it was off the market.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    To add insult to injury she told she had known for a week and just got around to talking to me.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @James Wise great tip. Do you apply that to deposit when they move in or is it a "holding fee"?

  • Investor · Latonia, KY · Member since 2012 · 107 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    IMO get the full security deposit. That way it secures you at least one month of rent. Not to mention they need that to move in for me anyway. Then I prorate the first months rent.

    I find that really separates the tire kickers from the truely interested. I also make this very clear in the listing.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    I will hold a unit for 30 days tops. Collect the deposit then on move in day they pay the rest.

    So for an $800 rental that they want to move in 1 month later they pay $800 deposit then on move in day they pay the other $800 & get keys.

    Some guys dont wanna hold units for 30 days but I am ok with it as it's usually because tenants want to give their current landlord 30 day notice.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    When emotion alters devotion. I haven't experienced this yet, as I am new to the field. But im sure many people have. After reading this, i have a better idea of how to go about a situation like this. Im sure you'll find a buyer much more worth your time. Thanks for sharing

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Definitely going to implement that practice James. I've learned a lot from you guys and I appreciate it. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y
  • Investor · Park ridge, IL · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    I just came to an agreement with a tenant and she is going to move in at the end of February. I told her if i am going to hold the unit for you I will need the security deposit paid in full by the 5th of Feb. $1000.00. If you sign the lease and pay the deposit and then dont end up going through with the lease you  loose  $500.00. Its all spelled out in the lease agreement. You have to protect yourself, thats the bottom line.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    11y

    I explain that I will hold a unit for up to 2 weeks with signed contract and security deposit paid.  Part of my contract is that they do not receive a refund of deposit if they leave prior to 6 months "whether or not they occupy the unit".  (Obviously you can extend the hold for someone you really like).

    Also, at every showing I tell the prospect that the unit is still available until a security deposit is paid.  The application fee DOES NOT hold a property. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

     It really is crazy how many people pay an application fee or even a deposit and then do not follow through with the unit.

    I have seen it so many times but every time it happens i'm surprised that someone can just throws away their money.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    @James Wise - that is part of the reason those sorts of people remain tenants. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    Sorry that happened to you, @Ryan Dossey !  Most of my current policies regarding things like this came about by learning the hard way.  Just letting you know I've been there, too!

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve Kachniewicz:

    I just came to an agreement with a tenant and she is going to move in at the end of February. I told her if i am going to hold the unit for you I will need the security deposit paid in full by the 5th of Feb. $1000.00. If you sign the lease and pay the deposit and then dont end up going through with the lease you  loose  $500.00. Its all spelled out in the lease agreement. You have to protect yourself, thats the bottom line.

     I wouldn't have them sign the lease until you have the full deposit and full first months rent in your possession and you're ready to hand them the keys. I'd have them just sign a "Holding fee agreement" (Fee being important) that states that they're giving you $1000 to hold the property until a specified date, if they sign the lease on or before the agreed upon date the $1000 will transfer to a security deposit, if they don't they forfeit the full $1000 (Why give them half back if they wasted a full month?). I wouldn't like the idea of having a signed lease without knowing for sure they were moving in. Just a suggestion.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Steve Vaughan Thanks for the support. Definitely won't make that mistake twice. 

  • Investor · Meriden, CT · Member since 2013 · 201 posts · 145 votes
    11y

    I always request a full security deposit to hold an apt. Im only willing to do so for a valid reason such as potential tenant wants to give the previous landlord a minimum 30 days notice ( which also means that this tenant will be considerate enough to give me 30 days notice when my lease is over and they want to move out). Or if its a section 8 tenant and the inspection cannot be scheduled right away. 

    I never hold an apt if the issue is money, ie  I dont have the money now etc. If you have money issues before moving in then you cannot afford the apt.

    I also have a non refundable fee to hold the apt. Tenant is credited the entire fee when they move in. They lose the fee is they dont move in.

  • Rental Property Investor · St Paul, MN · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    11y

     That is exactly what I do. If they are asking you to hold the property, they are basically asking you to keep it vacant - and lose money! Umm, sorry, that's not why I own rental property. Current tenants I have wanted me to hold a side of my duplex for 6 weeks. It was right in the middle of april and their lease/s were up Jun 1 and July 1 (they weren't living together at the time). I appreciate that they wanted to honor their leases and do right, but I was getting plenty of calls and it's a very desirable area, and it was spring. However they seemed like ideal tenants, even after background checks, etc. So I had them give me a fee equal to a full months rent, told them I wouldn't hold it that long but I would start the lease part way through May and the fee converted into their deposit after they had paid the first month's rent and signed the lease (before moving in). They have been great tenants and are still there to this day. 

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Ryan,

    Congrats on taking over the "Trending Discussions." Like many others, I was tired of looking at @Ben Leybovich up there for a while. Also, your avatar is much easier on the eyes than Ben's. 

    Couldn't resist Ben. :0)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Spring Hill, FL · Member since 2014 · 234 posts · 132 votes
    11y

    @Ryan Dossey 

     I've done it too! And I only have one rental :0! Like you, I'll never do it agian.

  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Richfield Springs, NY · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    yes agreed!! deposit to hold apt. i made the mistake of letting a friend move in and lost a month and a half before i finally got it rented. lesson learned. deposit signed lease and first month before they get the keys

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed - don't hate me cause I'm beautiful :) lol

  • Rental Property Investor · St Paul, MN · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michael S.:

    yes agreed!! deposit to hold apt. i made the mistake of letting a friend move in and lost a month and a half before i finally got it rented. lesson learned. deposit signed lease and first month before they get the keys

     I would be sure you call it a holding fee, and then tell them that fee can be applied to the deposit after signing the lease and paying the first month's rent. Deposits are supposed to be refundable, so if they flake out and find somewhere else to live they may ask for their 'deposit' back. Some states this may get you in trouble if you tell them it's just the deposit. 

  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Richfield Springs, NY · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    @Dan B.   Thanks you just saved me a headache 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.