South Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
Hi everyone ,
I have recently bought a rental in Houston , Texas and am making a list of what needs to be taken care of . The house was built in 1981 and I believe the wall oven and the cook top stove are original . They are of a vintage green color . They both work fine , but I am concerned that they might deter a good tenant from renting the house . The house is in a really good area , and should rent for 1600 - 1700 .
Should I bite the bullet and replace them with stainless steel or black ones ? For anyone interested its a , GE P7 J-Series wall oven .
Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
10y
I would consider whether i would want to remodel the entire kitchen instead. Why don't you post a picture on this site and get estimates for replacing the oven cook top as it stands now and estimates for renovating the entire kitchen with a slide in stove and a complete kitchen remodeling.
Is the house vacant now?
What does you competition offer for the same $1,600 and $1,700?? Are they offering new kitchens with Granite counter tops?
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y
I have no idea how my parents thought avocado green was a cool color. In 1981, that had to have been one of the last models available
Today's tenant paying market rent is going to expect newer appliances unless you have the only property available in a super desirable area
The difficulty is going to be matching the size exactly with the wood around the built in. Double ovens are very expensive and often have to be ordered. Do you have the option to remove the built in and put in a free standing range ?
Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
10y
I would consider whether i would want to remodel the entire kitchen instead. Why don't you post a picture on this site and get estimates for replacing the oven cook top as it stands now and estimates for renovating the entire kitchen with a slide in stove and a complete kitchen remodeling.
Is the house vacant now?
What does you competition offer for the same $1,600 and $1,700?? Are they offering new kitchens with Granite counter tops?
Professional · Cypress, TX · Member since 2015 · 309 posts · 17 votes
10y
Hi @Samantha Hopkins, Yes, please replace! Like @Account Closed said, folks expect certain things, and it should at least be similar to other properties at the same price point. And keep in mind the rest of the kitchen when picking out appliances, have a vision for what you want the kitchen to look like.
Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
10y
Yes. I am looking at a house with the exact same configuration. Going to remove the double turn that space into a countertop next to new stove. Rather have one stove to replace or repair than two very old appliances that will be time consuming and probably expensive to find!
I understand they were "totally rad", back in the day. One may even say "Mondo Awesome" or "Righteous". Sadly though now they "Gag me with a spoon". They have totally lost their "glam" and I can't see anyone getting their "grindage" rockin from those any more. I would head down to the local appliance store and get "Sprung" on a new set.
Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
10y
Agree with @Mary lou L. - any time we can take out the wall ovens and reconfigure the kitchen to a single slide-in oven/range, we do. These are cheaper to replace than the wall ovens.
In this particular case, given the level of rent you are asking, you need to at least replace them, if not remove and reconfigure.
The only way to answer that is to check on your competition. See if there are any rentals in the market similar to yours and check their amenities. That will give you info on pricing your rental to the market's.
You can always try to rent with the old appliances, and if you see prospects object about them, then you know you have to fix.
It's always easy to change them, but it is an added cost. I would probably change them though
Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
10y
@Samantha Hopkins, as others have said, unless you live in a "Hip" area that likes the retro look, I would change them.
Don't forget to check for gently used or scratch & dent appliance deals (on craigslist).
You could get rid of the double ovens, replace them with a pantry type cabinet and get a range with an oven. The last SS gently used range I bought was around $400 I believe.
Financial Advisor · Elmira, NY · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 67 votes
10y
The installation of the existing wall ovens looks VERY similar to our own home (except we had original 1955 wall ovens).
@Greg H. and @Mary lou L. I like the 'reconfigure for a slide in range' idea - although this wasn't a good option in our home.
Four years ago, we found that Sears/Kenmore had the widest variety of sizes available (we needed 24" wide, which isn't exactly standard today). As long as the new ovens in total are taller than the old ones , it may be easy for a carpenter to reconfigure (even if you end up losing a bit of cabinet space). Also, most wall ovens aren't exactly 24/30/36" wide, make sure to look at the actual specs for dimensions if you are trying to keep the existing surround or cabinetry.
You can borrow cabinet door/facing material by converting some existing cupboard to an open cubby, or you can change the facing material at the wall oven completely (think 'accent column' as a concept). We got the necessary material by converting the existing wood doors on cabinets above a pass-through to glass (used stereo cabinet hardware) - as a bonus, this helped make the kitchen a lot more 'open'.
Wholesaler, Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 38 votes
10y
I personally like the look of the old units, not necessarily the color but I see the overall appeal. That being said I would probably replace it as well with something a little more modern. Probably stainless as it is more of a neutral color with whatever color and tile choices are in the rest of the kitchen.
Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
10y
Wow! That makes me think of caddyshack for some reason!
Yes, I would say replace unless you can pull of a retro type theme somehow. I have an unit with similar look that does rent but makes me cringe a little. Most likely will replace soon.