Should I fix the ceiling fan?

Should I fix the ceiling fan?

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes

So my tenant moved in three weeks ago.  Per the lease, she has 7 days to tell me what wrong with the house after move in day.  A week gone by and I asked if she had found anything.  She said no just minor scratches.  I reminded her to give me the list which she said she made.  A few days later I emailed her an inventory list to check off.  She said she doesnt have a printer so I even printed it out for her.  I came over and told her I would walk thru the house with her if she likes. Nope.  She signed off the inventory list confirming that everything is satisfactory.  Now three weeks later, she texted me regarding her squeaky fan above her bed.  I told her to check the screws but she wanted me to come over and check it out. Also, according to my lease,any repair under $50 is really up to her to fix.  Am I right for refusing to fix the fan?  I could really fix it for her but it is a matter of principle.  The fan only costs $30-40 to be replaced.  Last time I checked, it was fine too.  She also called me twice regarding the broken dishwasher.  Really all she has to do was turn the valve on.  I have been really nice to her in handling her service calls. However I don't think it is wise for me to make it comfortable for her to text me all the time for tiny repairs.  I had since insisted that she should email mr for any future request. 

0Reply
251 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

@Phung N.as an aside, your $50 repair requirement is actually an illegal/unenforceable contractual clause in the state of NC and has no weight whatsoever. Here is the link to the NC department of justice LL tenant handbook. You'll take notice in part 4 "Carolina General Statute 42-42(b) states that a landlord cannot excuse himself from these duties through a special clause inserted into the lease."

Parts 2/3 deal with who is responsible for what, and "repairs" are on you. I know many people have said they use the $50 "tool, but it is unenforceable in residential situations. 

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    If the fan truly has a problem then fix it.  If you were trying hard to get her to make a list what was your reason for doing so?  If it was to find out problems then here is one.  I can see no way that she caused a fan to squeak so it is not her fault.  It would have to be fairly bad before I would replace it.  Lists of things that need repair have a reason for being there besides a way to get a tenant to pay for a normal wear and tear issue.  There is a balance of whether or not you are encouraging someone to complain, but if it is bona fide then fix it.

  • Ronan M.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 352 posts · 281 votes
    10y

    "The fan only costs $30-40 to be replaced"

    A quick spray of WD40 around the bearings might only cost 30 to 40cents and still do the trick.

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    10y

    Fix the problem. You're the landlord. If the tenant wanted to deal with issues like this, they would have bought their own home.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Usually, happy tenants are good tenants.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I actually checked everything myself before she moved in.  Everything is in working order.  Since I just bought the house, I went thru the inspection with the inspector.  The reason why I asked her to sign thr paper was because per lease she is supposed to write me a letter confirming the satisfactory condition of the house.  We didnt want to do the inventory list before since I took pictures of everything and had the inspection report.  Since she did not give me a release statement, I typed one up for her and asked her to sign.  I want to her at least put the effort into solving things instead of calling me about every little thing.  I still don't know if I should do it because I felt like she ignored what I stated in my lease.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Have her email the request. Then fix it.

    You have your checklist now - all satisfactory. If there are real damages when she moves out you are covered and can deduct from her security.

    But fix the little things she is asking you to fix.

  • Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 197 votes
    10y

    First of all, like @Jerry W. said the fan squeaking is in no way her fault and she may have not had a chance to use it in the first couple of days while she was there (the time you were asking her to fill out the form). Secondly the dishwasher should have been set up and ready for use when she moved in, so that's on you.

    While I would have most likely been able to figure out the dishwasher and solve the issue, my wife would have no idea what to do and I wouldn't have expected her too. That is if she was even strong enough to pull it out to access the valve in the first place.

    In short both of these things are on you to fix, neither were her fault and I would even say that the dishwasher not being ready to use was actually your fault as the LL. The fan most likely needs to be balanced which is a simple process where you have to add little weights to some of the blades, this happens over time as the house settles so it can just pop up whenever. Please don't be self righteous and act like it is on a brand new tenant to fix these things. If you are worried about being bothered all the time then I would give it a month and fix anything that comes up within reason and then maybe talk to her about just keeping a list of minor annoyances until you come around for quarterly inspection.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Harrison- It is quite common to have that part regarding minor repairs in the lease to be tenant's responsibility. Some leases have it as $100 but mine is only $50. If you plan on owning multiple SFH rental properties, you probably don't want everyone to call you over little thing. I know the dishwasher isn't her fault. I am not trying to be self-righteous. A couple of landlords in my area have recommended to leave it alone. Yet I still feel bad and didnt want to look like a pushover. This is why I posed the question to reach broader audience. Anyway, I guess I will see what I can do about the ceiling fan.

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    @Phung N.

    This is just the beginning.  I would show up and fix the fan.  

    I try to smoke out the high maintenance tenants during the screening process.  Every once in awhile one will get through the fence.  

    Frank

  • Jonna WeberPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    10y

    @Phung N. - I always find that there are numerous issues that come up with a newly acquired property. There are usually little quirks that need to be worked out, that are hard to identify until someone is using the property everyday.  This is just part of working out the kinks - and it should be smoother by renter #2.   BTW, I am not a fan of ceiling fans in rentals - just more to repair.   We have taken several out, and replaced with overhead or recessed lighting.  Congrats on having your property successfully rented! 

  • Investor / Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    I would fix the fan right away. It may seem like a minor issue, but when it comes time to renew your willingness to help may sway her to stay another year or more.

  • Investor · Newburgh, IN · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    IMO, a brand new ceiling fan that costs $30-$40 is almost contractually obligated to give you problems.  

    Here's what I see as your best options:

    1. 1.  Replace the fan with one that costs closer to $100. Not necessarily fancier, just higher quality.
    2. 2.  Remove the fan and put it a fixed light fixture.  

    If your time is worthless to you, you can throw some WD-40 on the bearings or jerk around for an hour or two trying to balance the blades which, again, in my opinion is throwing good money at bad...especially on a $40 ceiling fan.

    If your investment property is worthless to you, keep neglecting the fan, lose the tenant and the cash flow.

    The wise move is to fix the fan problem and keep the tenant happy.  This is not to say that when a tenant says "jump," you say, "how high?"  If she becomes a high maintenance problem tenant down the road, deal with that.  Since she's so early in her lease, I think benefit of the doubt needs to be exercised.  

    I agree with @Fred Heller, @Kevin Harrison, and @Jerry W. .  She isn't responsible for either the fan or dishwasher..not to mention, I don't want my tenants doing any electrical or plumbing work themselves.  Swallow your pride and deal with it.   That will plant a seed and make her more likely to give you good referrals and stick around.

    Good luck with your endeavor!

    -Ryan

  • Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2012 · 285 posts · 175 votes
    10y
    It is about creating a good relationship with your tenant. How hard is it to go over and fix these two things? 1hr? Now think of the cash flow you earned for that one hr of work. Probably not too bad. I love fixing easy problems for my tenants because it fills the goodwill bank so that when something bad/difficult happens they know that I do care and don't break my stones.
  • Henderson, KY · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Things break from one week to the next, so even if it was find in January it might not be fine in February.  Address the fan, if it's too big a deal just remove it. 

    I just have the one rental but based on the suggestions of this forum I did a pre-move in walk through with the renters and let them write down anything of concern, and anything not of concern.  

    As for the dishwasher, that's an easy answer.  Go make it work.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Phung N.as an aside, your $50 repair requirement is actually an illegal/unenforceable contractual clause in the state of NC and has no weight whatsoever. Here is the link to the NC department of justice LL tenant handbook. You'll take notice in part 4 "Carolina General Statute 42-42(b) states that a landlord cannot excuse himself from these duties through a special clause inserted into the lease."

    Parts 2/3 deal with who is responsible for what, and "repairs" are on you. I know many people have said they use the $50 "tool, but it is unenforceable in residential situations. 

  • Investor · Newburgh, IN · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    @Matt Devincenzo

    That's great advice.  Thank you for the insight!

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Phung N. I'm also not a fan of having the tenant take care of small repairs themselves.  They don't necessarily know how to fix things, nor should they.  Also, it makes the likelihood of them actually reporting issues smaller, and you don't want a small issue to turn into a large one because the tenant didn't want to spend $50.

    I would ask the tenant to come up with a list of the small things she notices over the next two weeks and then send the handyman over to fix everything all at once. If there is anything that affects the usability of the house, then send the handyman right away.

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Phung N.:

    @Kevin Harrison- It is quite common to have that part regarding minor repairs in the lease to be tenant's responsibility. Some leases have it as $100 but mine is only $50. If you plan on owning multiple SFH rental properties, you probably don't want everyone to call you over little thing. I know the dishwasher isn't her fault. I am not trying to be self-righteous. A couple of landlords in my area have recommended to leave it alone. Yet I still feel bad and didnt want to look like a pushover. This is why I posed the question to reach broader audience. Anyway, I guess I will see what I can do about the ceiling fan.

     I don't understand.  You're concerned about looking like a "pushover" yet you seem unconcerned about looking like a cheapskate landlord.  Your tenants are your valued customers, without whom you've have an empty house.  Why not start treating them as such?!  Why poison the relationship?  It's your house: if something is wrong, fix it.  

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks for all replies.  I fixed the fan already.  It just needs a little lubricant.  

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt Devincenzo:

    @Phung N.as an aside, your $50 repair requirement is actually an illegal/unenforceable contractual clause in the state of NC and has no weight whatsoever. Here is the link to the NC department of justice LL tenant handbook. You'll take notice in part 4 "Carolina General Statute 42-42(b) states that a landlord cannot excuse himself from these duties through a special clause inserted into the lease."

    Parts 2/3 deal with who is responsible for what, and "repairs" are on you. I know many people have said they use the $50 "tool, but it is unenforceable in residential situations. 

    Thanks for bringing this up. Making a residential tenant responsible for repairs, aside from being illegal in some places, makes no sense liability wise.  Does anyone really want a tenant that calls the drain guy that charges $35 as advertised on his truck? You have no way of knowing who this guy is, if he is skilled and/or licensed.  Don't let tenants make repairs or hire contractors.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Fix it. If that is her only complaint keep her happy. During the lease, if she turns out to be a real aggravation but keeps the property nice, you have two options at expiration: raise the rent to compensate or have her move. A $40 or $50 fix is nothing in the big scheme. Even though sometimes you feel you are right, consider "losing to win". I see some really successful investors do this all the time. Spend a little money, keep the tenant happy, make YOUR life easier, and move on. I will NOT fight a tenant for $40 or $50 or even $100. Let it go. Is YOUR happiness worth $100 or less? After years of standing on principle and "I am right"...I finally listened to what some really successful people do (in all walks of life): fix the problem and move on! 

  • Covington, KY · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Phung N.:

    Thanks for all replies.  I fixed the fan already.  It just needs a little lubricant.  

     You did the right thing, good luck with your tenant. 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Whenever the replacement cost is equal or lower than the labor cost, good heavens, REPLACE with new and just get it over.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    absolutely, fix the fan ....she's paying your note....it's an investment...how long did she sign the lease for?

    I suggest ...since the holidays are here you even buy here a small kitchen appliance for $25 for Christmas.....happy tenants pay your note :)

  • Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 659 posts · 441 votes
    10y

    I'm not a fan of these types of leases that say how much the tenant is responsible for or that give a period of time for them to notice problems.  As a landlord that doesn't do anything other than give you a reason to be a crappy landlord (I'm not calling you one btw).  I've fixed plenty of things I didn't have to according to the lease because in the end $30 is nothing compared to a happy tenant.

    I don't see anything that's unusual in the requests.  I'd just suggest fixing it.  Unless it's an extravagant piece of equipment that you specifically say "if this breaks, I'm not fixing it, you just won't have use of it anymore", the tenant should have a reasonable expectation that everything that's in place when they move in should continue to work and stay in good health.  you can nitpick over what you do with a squeaky fan and at what point you come over to fix it versus asking them to do stuff.

    With all that said, there are obviously extremes.  If she's calling you every week to come over, just don't renew the lease and get a new tenant.  If she's nit picking over every little thing and you no longer care if she's happy and would be ecstatic if she moved out, start pushing back and holding the letter of the lease.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.