Leesburg, VA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
Hello Everyone,
I have a rental property in a nice neighborhood, all other neighbors are very friendly. But one of the neighbor is very aggressive, she spoke with me saying that I was renting the place to people from military and foreign countries. She is crazy and aggressive.
I responded it friendly. But she is getting worse, she alleged that the house supposedly should be one family, while I am renting the basement and upstairs separately. Also, she alleged that I added a bedroom in the basement, I moved and added the washer and dryer in the garage. But that was in place before I bought the property.
The only change I did was i added a board to separate the basement and the upstairs.
Now she filled complains to both county and the town. The inspectors contacted me to do the inspection.
I would like to ask the BP folks, does anyone experienced similar situation, do you have any advice and suggestions.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y
As long as you are following all laws, if she keeps up you certainly have a case for harassment and/or a protective order against her, which is what I would do. If you don't mind spending a few dollars, you can get your/a lawyer to send her a "cease and desist" letter regarding her behavior, which may or may not be effective but at least lets her know you mean business and aren't going to put up with her BS anymore.
PS: If you are not following state/local laws, then the problem may be with you rather than the neighbor. Be sure you are following all laws and meeting all codes so you can rule that out as a source of her behavior.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y
As long as you are following all laws, if she keeps up you certainly have a case for harassment and/or a protective order against her, which is what I would do. If you don't mind spending a few dollars, you can get your/a lawyer to send her a "cease and desist" letter regarding her behavior, which may or may not be effective but at least lets her know you mean business and aren't going to put up with her BS anymore.
PS: If you are not following state/local laws, then the problem may be with you rather than the neighbor. Be sure you are following all laws and meeting all codes so you can rule that out as a source of her behavior.
Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Yep, what others have said. After you are successful with inspection - it all revolves around this - then use a dispute resolution ladder. It might look like this:
Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
Zoning may be an issue, so make sure it's legal to have rentals in this neighborhood AND that you have not created a multiple unit (ie two rentals) in a SFR zone.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
10y
Not an attorney disclaimer. I've dealt with crazy tenants before and they can be difficult to nail down. I would start with a written warning that you are not in violation of any codes and that her behavior is considered harassment of yourself and the neighbors. Warn her that future harassment may result in eviction.
If she continues, have an attorney send a "Cease and Desist" letter. If she still continues, talk to your attorney about eviction options because it may require you to start with a stalking order or other steps before you can evict.
I do not recommend using social media - or any other device - to "shame" the tenant. That's not professional or ethical and brings you down to the same level as her.
Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
10y
@Jing XiaotangAlbeit everyone on this thread is trying sincerely to give you sound advice I would avoid any suggestion to shame her on social media. This could cause you a lot of problems and you could end up getting yourself into a lot of legal challenges.
I've been an expert witness in construction fraud and owner/management abuse and bullying issues for over 2 decades and have testified against abusive landlords on countless occasions and have yet to see them come out on the winning end. Juries and judges generally seem to rule and award in favor of he tenant/renter. Tread very lightly.
Next go down to the building department and pull up a history of any/all permits relating to the property. If any of the improvements and/or modifications were not permitted you may have another hoop to jump through. However, you could possible get an "as built" permit if all the improvements/alterations/modifications, etc are code compliant.
If not you may be required to correct them in which case the tenants may have to be removed in order to do so. This would be a great opportunity to pull a rather smooth eviction on the problematic tenant. Just sayin..............................................