Elimination of Curry odors?

Elimination of Curry odors?

St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes

A mature couple of Indian extraction have applied for one of my units. I am working on the application at present and have not finished processing it. They are first generation immigrants from India and it is clear that they will be preparing traditional Indian foods in the home, including curry. I did some searching and found a number of posts by landlords at a variety of sites complaining of the extreme difficulty of ridding units of curry odors. I would like to hear from BP members with experience with this issue. Can curry odor be removed? What steps are necessary to eliminate it? What were the costs or removal of such odors? If you have rented to tenants who prepared curry, would you do so again based on your experience? 

My question is motivated in part by experience with tenants I have who are first generation immigrants from Africa. They also cook traditional foods and I am afraid that whenever I go over there strong odors are present. I am not looking forward to turning that unit over. I saw a guy at a landlord trade show that had some kind of ozone type machine for removing odors. It was a large canister type device and he said several of them left in a unit for 24 hrs could eliminate smoking odors. The cost was $650. I am looking at losing February rent if I do not take this couple, and that is $1,200. So I guess the question is could curry odor related damage cause $1,200 of damage to the unit? This would likely be just a one year lease, the tenant has just moved to the area and is looking at buying a place.

All input welcome.

2Reply
383 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
10y

Diesel fuel will mask the odor . 

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    Just ventilate the unit, add sprinkly baking powder over the carpet overnight and vacuum.

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    10y

    Curry....I love that smell!

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    In this area, many Indian people have two kitchens.  One of them is in the garage to help limit that smell.

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    Stephen Curry

  • Professional · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Have had at least 50 Indian tenants and left over curry odor is a huge problem.  I could smell it in the hallway outside the unit.  Mostly it will be in the kitchen cabinets and stove/range hood.  Best way I found is constant scrubbing with white vinegar.  But, you have to spray generously the entire inside of each cabinet, let sit, then rub out.  Over night put leave cabinet doors open and use a fan to ventillate/dry.  Next day repeat process until odor is gone.  Fortuntately, our cleaning crew would come back after hours and work on it for cash.  For carpets, use white vengar instead of cleaner. 

    hope this helps

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    Diesel fuel will mask the odor . 

  • Property Manager · Chapin, SC · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    the ozone machine does help i had to use one on a house i rented out, also paint with a dash of vanilla helps for the walls, and the vinegar on the cabinets as mentioned previously.   you dont have to buy the ozone machine companies will rent you one for $150.  Just be careful that no humans come into the unit while that ozone machine is running as it can kill you as there is no oxygen on the air.

  • Real Estate Investor · State College , PA · Member since 2009 · 594 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    A post with info I can use in my own home;)

  • Real Estate Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 456 posts · 237 votes
    10y

    Curry is right up there with cat piss....just tough to deal with.  Put a clause in the lease that they will lose their deposit if the unit isn't returned curry free. Aside from that, we've used a product called Fresh Wave to get rid of light curry on walls and cabinets.  It comes in a spray or a gel and can usually be found at Ace Hardware...when you can't find something...try your local Ace, you'd be surprised.  We buy a number of products there both for our contracting work and our rentals.  You'll need several applications.  You can also try filling a large bowl with distilled white vinegar and placing it in the middle of effected rooms...let is sit for 24 hours.  I can't explain how it works with smells but it does.

    Curry usually goes with saffron....hand in hand....and the two will combine to place an oily covering on kitchen cabinets.  Those you need to clean first with something like an equal mix of Dawn, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.  It will take several attempts if it's heavy.  You will then likely still need to prime cabinets with an oil-based primer and repaint them.  It really depends on how much cooking they did.  Hope that helps!  

    Looks like Bed, Bath & Beyond is carry it now too.

  • Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 471 posts · 132 votes
    10y

    I would try a mixture of one gallon of bleach, one cup of TSP, and two gallons of water.. Just try not to get the solution on your skin.

  • Real Estate Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 456 posts · 237 votes
    10y

    @Wilson Churchill- a decent way to clean but it won't touch curry plus it can damage some finishes. Great for exterior work but rinse everything off....especially plants. We use TSP to kill mold/mildew (bleach just knocks it down) and etch the surface for the new layer of paint.

  • Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 471 posts · 132 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Andy Luick:

    @Wilson Churchill- a decent way to clean but it won't touch curry plus it can damage some finishes. Great for exterior work but rinse everything off....especially plants. We use TSP to kill mold/mildew (bleach just knocks it down) and etch the surface for the new layer of paint.

     What about concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide? It seems to get urine out of wood pretty well.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    u should get a direct vent fan that vents the odor outside the house,  which would help a lot.  but don't get a HD type of fan,  get a fantech type that can move 900 cf,  like I did at my house.  it's an 8 inch pipe! 

    this will be a huge problem for u in the future.  all these suggestions are good but at least u know what to brace yourself for! 

  • Real Estate Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 456 posts · 237 votes
    10y

    @Wilson Churchill- yes by mixing it with equal parts baking soda and dawn it will work well on light curry.  We have a had a ton of indian clients in our contracting business over the years...especially when they are prepping their house for sale or rent and quite a few indian rents both in single fams and shared housing.  Sometimes the home remedies work the best.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 27 votes
    10y
    I don't think you can put in the lease that it must be returned "curry free". That borders on ethnic discrimination to me. I mean, you wouldn't add that clause for Italians who use garlic... Just paint where you can, use similar methods for treating other pervasive odors like animal waste and know that you will have the odor to deal on the back end with but rent being paid during the lease terms.
  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I have never had first hand experience with curry, but cat piss, smokers, animal feces Etc I have. 

    Use an ozone generator. This is the one I have 

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JAP7388/ref=mp_s_...

    After you do a general cleaning of the unit, turn the HVAC on with fan mode only (if you have that option).  Then turn it on and leave. Come back 24 hrs later. Open the doors, let fresh air get inside for a bit (I use a fan), before you go inside. 

    This works for me. Maybe curry has some quality that makes these useless but I doubt it. 

  • Beaverton, OR · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I had a rental affected by this. It was noticeable for sure, but the place still rented. The new tenant has now been in place for over a year, and there was no hint of the smell on my last visit. That said, perhaps a blanket obnoxious odors policy in the lease would suffice without causing a discrimination issue. Firing from the hip here but maybe:

    "Tenant to return the home in the same condition as it was rented. The home must be returned cleaned, free of personal item, and free of smells. Obnoxious smells will result in the use of an Ozone generator at tenants expense, at the cost of $50 per day for the rental of the machine. Tenant will be charged pro-rated rent for time off market, until such time that the unit is returned to its original condition. Tenant is advised to...".

  • Rental Property Investor · SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    Sorry no solution here, but just want to add that curry odor can be a huge issue. Case in point, I once stopped by an open house in the SF Bay Area (nice peninsula neighborhood) and the whole vacant SFR reeked of curry! I can tell the listing agent tried everything to mask the odor, but to no avail. House appeared in good condition (save the smell) and the poor house sat on the market for months!

    (Note: This was back in 2010 however.)

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    I decided to eliminate the Indian applicants. I was unsure of the curry issue but there were posts here and on some realtors' websites that worried me. Stories of houses being impossible to sell because of the persistent curry odor. This is a nice unit, freshly renovated with all new flooring and paint. I can't afford to let it be ruined with obnoxious odors. Secondly, and perhaps even more troublesome, the tenant was difficult during the screening process. He objected to my need to see tax documents to verify income and said he was not comfortable if I did not believe he could pay rent. I explained that this was a normal part of the screening process but he was resistant. I ignored signals like this during the application process for what are now my worst tenants. They pay on time but they are very irritable and difficult to deal with. I don't need difficult tenants. So I have decided to keep the place vacant. The Indian tenants would have moved in this weekend and paid February rent of $1,200 so I am losing that. But I don't want to risk damages to the unit and potentially difficult tenant relations. So I will keep looking.

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Along with the other cleaning techniques above, check out a product called Paint ScentSations.  

    It is a scented additive to mix into paint, and you will probably need to repaint the unit after they leave anyways.  It comes in a 10 oz. bottle, with a recommended mix rate of 1 oz. per gallon of paint.  It usually lasts 3-6 months, which (hopefully) is enough for the new tenant's household aromas to overtake the previous one's.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Account Closed  he is in Canada they may or probably have completely different laws regarding tenants discrimination etc.  than we do

  • Norcross, GA · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Surface cleaning is good but the curry odor is also carried by cooking smoke and you have to attack that with another smoke.  There are fogging units that will vaporize a deodorizing chemical that goes everywhere the curry smoke went.  Find a business that sells to commercial cleaners especially to carpet cleaners, they have all kinds of products for serious cleaning

  • Professional · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    If you use any clause about "odor free" then use that term.  You might be able to get away with "smoke free," but stating "curry free" does seem to target Indian tenants and that could be discriminatory. 

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    Diesel fuel will mask the odor . 

     .... well you are not wrong.... 

  • Buy & Hold Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2012 · 378 posts · 179 votes
    10y

    @Stephen E. You made the right decision. Not because of the curry smell, but because of the resistance to screening. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.