Elimination of Curry odors?

Elimination of Curry odors?

St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes

A mature couple of Indian extraction have applied for one of my units. I am working on the application at present and have not finished processing it. They are first generation immigrants from India and it is clear that they will be preparing traditional Indian foods in the home, including curry. I did some searching and found a number of posts by landlords at a variety of sites complaining of the extreme difficulty of ridding units of curry odors. I would like to hear from BP members with experience with this issue. Can curry odor be removed? What steps are necessary to eliminate it? What were the costs or removal of such odors? If you have rented to tenants who prepared curry, would you do so again based on your experience? 

My question is motivated in part by experience with tenants I have who are first generation immigrants from Africa. They also cook traditional foods and I am afraid that whenever I go over there strong odors are present. I am not looking forward to turning that unit over. I saw a guy at a landlord trade show that had some kind of ozone type machine for removing odors. It was a large canister type device and he said several of them left in a unit for 24 hrs could eliminate smoking odors. The cost was $650. I am looking at losing February rent if I do not take this couple, and that is $1,200. So I guess the question is could curry odor related damage cause $1,200 of damage to the unit? This would likely be just a one year lease, the tenant has just moved to the area and is looking at buying a place.

All input welcome.

2Reply
380 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
10y

Diesel fuel will mask the odor . 

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stephen E.:

    I decided to eliminate the Indian applicants. I was unsure of the curry issue but there were posts here and on some realtors' websites that worried me. Stories of houses being impossible to sell because of the persistent curry odor. This is a nice unit, freshly renovated with all new flooring and paint. I can't afford to let it be ruined with obnoxious odors. Secondly, and perhaps even more troublesome, the tenant was difficult during the screening process. He objected to my need to see tax documents to verify income and said he was not comfortable if I did not believe he could pay rent. I explained that this was a normal part of the screening process but he was resistant. I ignored signals like this during the application process for what are now my worst tenants. They pay on time but they are very irritable and difficult to deal with. I don't need difficult tenants. So I have decided to keep the place vacant. The Indian tenants would have moved in this weekend and paid February rent of $1,200 so I am losing that. But I don't want to risk damages to the unit and potentially difficult tenant relations. So I will keep looking.

    Stephen:

    You can eliminate the candidates based on their failure to provide suitable proof of income (ie. tax documents), but not based on their ethnicity (which includes the clothes they wear, food they eat, deity to whom they pray, etc).  While our laws are different than our neighbours to the south, discrimination over ethnicity (curry) could land you in front of a human rights tribunal.

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @Roy N. I am conscious of this issue. I think the posters who said the unit should be returned without strong odors were correct. it is difficult to describe the issue without addressing the particular odors. In any event I have set the issue of odor aside and focused on the difficulties in completing screening. The applicant appears to have withdrawn from the screening process in that they did not want to provide any further information and objected to routine disclosures such as proof of income.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Stephen E.

    I figured you would be.  It's one of those handful of issues to which there is no easy, nor non-frictious, way to handle. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    just try to get Thai tenants next time the hot Chiles and coconut juice should take over pretty quickly 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stephen E.:

    I decided to eliminate the Indian applicants. I was unsure of the curry issue but there were posts here and on some realtors' websites that worried me. Stories of houses being impossible to sell because of the persistent curry odor. This is a nice unit, freshly renovated with all new flooring and paint. I can't afford to let it be ruined with obnoxious odors. Secondly, and perhaps even more troublesome, the tenant was difficult during the screening process. He objected to my need to see tax documents to verify income and said he was not comfortable if I did not believe he could pay rent. I explained that this was a normal part of the screening process but he was resistant. I ignored signals like this during the application process for what are now my worst tenants. They pay on time but they are very irritable and difficult to deal with. I don't need difficult tenants. So I have decided to keep the place vacant. The Indian tenants would have moved in this weekend and paid February rent of $1,200 so I am losing that. But I don't want to risk damages to the unit and potentially difficult tenant relations. So I will keep looking.

     Wow....

  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    If you based your decision upon your screening then that would make sense. But not race and the foods they eat.

    I feel like this is a fairly discriminatory conversation to begin with, Indian people are like everyone else. There are dirty ones and there are clean ones, I see and hear a lot more dirty Caucasian drug addicts and welfare cases ruining units then Indian families. A thorough cleaning of any unit would remove a curry smell its a spice, not black mold. 

  • Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    I'm not sure if this is an apartment, of SFH that you are renting out, but something else to consider is that the odor can drive away other tenants in the same building. I was talking to a property manager in my city a few weeks ago, and this is a problem in one of his buildings. The cooking odors of one of his tenants is starting to drive away other good rent-paying tenants. They simply don't want to get hit with a wall of curry odor the minute they step into the hallway of their building.

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @Samuel Sedore It is screening. I have never had a tenant object to basic verification of income before. I got over the other issues and decided I was willing to deep clean, repaint etc. if that proved necessary. But I am reluctant to deal with someone who resists basic elements of screening like showing that they have the means to pay rent. What is next? Someone who does not want to prove their income is likely to be uncooperative in other elements of the landlord and tenant relationship. The last tenants to create difficulties during the screening process have turned out to be my worst tenants. I would have kept a unit vacant for months to avoid them. They have been extremely difficult to deal with, with frivolous maintenance requests, vexatious emails and other problems. In my mind these problems rank far above any other issue. In any event the tenant has not provided required information and so has dropped out of the screening process.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    That makes sense and I would agree. The way your argument was worded(maybe the way I interpreted it), I thought your main concern was just particularly curry smell and race, sorry for that.

    Anyone who resists and part of the process is clearly hiding something good call.

  • Palatine, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-...

    ABOUT CLEAR BIN® SEALER

    To permanently block odors without changing a surface’s appearance, choose Rust-Oleum® Zinsser® CLEAR B-I-N® Sealer. This de-waxed shellac solution eliminates the toughest odors—food, pet urine, cigarette smoke and more—and won’t yellow with age.

    • De-waxed shellac-base sealer
    • For interior use
    • Ultimate odor blocker
    • Seals odors from food, mold and mildew, pet urine, fire and smoke damage, and cigars and cigarettes
    • Clear formula preserves original surface appearance
    • Sticks to all interior surfaces without sanding
    • Ultra fast dry – topcoat in 45 minutes

    FOR BEST RESULTS

    Use indoors. Works with any top coat.

    AVAILABLE SIZES

    • 12 oz. Spray
    • Quart
    • 1 Gallon
    • 5 Gallon
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Jack L.

    Shellac is pricy stuff these days (Zinssier B.I.N. is ~$70/gallon here).  

    We've used BIN for years - it's frequently more nauseous than the problem your are trying to encapsulate, but mercifully shellac dries quickly.

  • Palatine, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    use synthetic 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jack L.:

    use synthetic 

     We've tried that ... it's a bit like all season tyres ... not the best in summer, not fit for winter driving ... a reasonable compromise in some, but far from all conditions.

  • Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    I used an enzyme from a company in Canada, Oder Eats, for an extreme pet urine smell on an entire house. It worked amazingly perfect even on Cabinets. Call Charles and he'll explain how it works.
  • Palatine, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Well, for me I have used both products in serveral applications following the manufacturer's specifications without any of the issues that are concerns for you. These products may not be the right ones for you and I hope that you are able to find a product that works for you. 

  • Palatine, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    Originally posted by @Jack L.:

    use synthetic 

     We've tried that ... it's a bit like all season tyres ... not the best in summer, not fit for winter driving ... a reasonable compromise in some, but far from all conditions.

     Well, for me I have used both products in serveral applications following the manufacturer's specificationswithout any of the issues that are concerns for you. These products may not be the right ones for you and I hope that you are able to find a product that works for you.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jack L.:
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    Originally posted by @Jack L.:

    use synthetic 

     We've tried that ... it's a bit like all season tyres ... not the best in summer, not fit for winter driving ... a reasonable compromise in some, but far from all conditions.

     Well, for me I have used both products in serveral applications following the manufacturer's specificationswithout any of the issues that are concerns for you. These products may not be the right ones for you and I hope that you are able to find a product that works for you.

     Jack:

    No need for the pocket paternalism.  We've been using these products for years.  The nasty off-gassing of shellac is just part of the experience ... lots of ventilation and all is well.

  • Palatine, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    Originally posted by @Jack L.:
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    Originally posted by @Jack L.:

    use synthetic 

     We've tried that ... it's a bit like all season tyres ... not the best in summer, not fit for winter driving ... a reasonable compromise in some, but far from all conditions.

     Well, for me I have used both products in serveral applications following the manufacturer's specificationswithout any of the issues that are concerns for you. These products may not be the right ones for you and I hope that you are able to find a product that works for you.

     Jack:

    No need for the pocket paternalism.  We've been using these products for years.  The nasty off-gassing of shellac is just part of the experience ... lots of ventilation and all is well.

     Roy,

    I apologize if you took my response in that manner, it was not meant that way. 

  • Gonzales, LA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I agree with ozone comments. I know for a fact that ozone will remove the curry smell but it is dependent on using a large enough ozone generator to produce enough ozone. Sometimes a second or third treatment may be necessary. You have to be careful with the rental ozone generators because most of them are low output machines and will not make enough ozone in a given area to completely remove the odor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    I have immigrant tenants . They are from various places around the globe . Sadly they stink up apartments with their cooking their insatiable garbage collecting and their own personal hygiene issues . For the most part it seems Other parts of the world are not sanitary like us Americans concerning cleanliness. I have been warned about grease and grime in kitchens in apartments because of the traditional foods immigrants cook that require extreme cleaning measures during tenant turnovers with these people
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 807 posts · 815 votes
    8y

    Honestly it shouldn't really be that much of a problem. I'm Indian and like to cook indian food sometimes so I'll go all out on the spices....chili powder, cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, onions. Smells great but can get strong. I just light a candle, open windows and it's gone in a few hours.....It's not like the odor of cigarettes.

    @Dennis M. You should keep your ethnocentric comments to yourself

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Pratik P.:

    Honestly it shouldn't really be that much of a problem. I'm Indian and like to cook indian food sometimes so I'll go all out on the spices....chili powder, cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, onions. Smells great but can get strong. I just light a candle, open windows and it's gone in a few hours.....It's not like the odor of cigarettes.

    @Dennis M. You should keep your ethnocentric comments to yourself

    Sir with all due respect That may be offensive to some and not politically correct but that has been my experience  with immigrant tenants .

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:
    Originally posted by @Pratik P.:

    Honestly it shouldn't really be that much of a problem. I'm Indian and like to cook indian food sometimes so I'll go all out on the spices....chili powder, cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, onions. Smells great but can get strong. I just light a candle, open windows and it's gone in a few hours.....It's not like the odor of cigarettes.

    @Dennis M. You should keep your ethnocentric comments to yourself

    Sir with all due respect That may be offensive to some and not politically correct but that has been my experience  with immigrant tenants .

    Experience can be expressed without xenophobic tones.  Let's keep the discussion about real estate matters.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    I don't think you can put in the lease that it must be returned "curry free". That borders on ethnic discrimination to me. I mean, you wouldn't add that clause for Italians who use garlic... Just paint where you can, use similar methods for treating other pervasive odors like animal waste and know that you will have the odor to deal on the back end with but rent being paid during the lease terms.
    I am putting a clause in lease that specifies obnoxious and lingering odors will require additional attention to remedy and prepare the home for new tenants. 
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Something like this might help (???)

    (check your local building codes regarding this)

    Good Luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.