Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sara N.
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
appliances in the house being abused? who should pay?

Sara N.
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Posted Feb 9 2016, 09:38

We installed a new dryer less than 3 yrs ago in the rental rowhouse. The new tenant who moved in last fall said the lint trap/plastic for it for this dryer just broke and needs to be replaced as it keeps falling out while drying and makes a lot of noise. The lint trap & plastic to hold the lint trap are inside the back of the dryer (vs. typical in front & you slide it up to remove the lint). I understand that things break but in this case, the machine is pretty new and it seems like they should have been more careful when removing the lint trap to clear it out and put it back properly. Other tenants who lived there didn't have this problem. Who should pay for this replacement of the lint trap and the plastic to hold it? It's costing more than $75 just for these small very minor parts. Yes, washer and dryer are included in the house/rent. Since they've moved in we've already had to replace the microwave  as the handle was broken (how does a microwave handle just get broken?) and our contractor said the top of the microwave was crushed--how does the top of a microwave installed above the stove get crushed? And just a few wks ago we've had to replace the entire washing machine--OK it's about 8-9 yrs old, and things break.  I've already said we'll pay for the new lint trap and plastic part but warned them that we're going out of way to do this.  I assume since the washer & dryer is part of the house and the rent, we as landlord should pay for  it? But would it be unreasonable that they pay for it since they should just be more careful when using our appliances? Should we have charged them for this?

Loading replies...