Best value and quality interior paint?

Best value and quality interior paint?

Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes

Hi,  Wondering what you guys think is the best interior paint for value and coverage?  I'm getting tired of being told, "yeah, it covers great" and then finding after 2 coats it still looks like crap.

0Reply
56 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kenai, AK · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    the March 2015 issue of consumer reports includes interior paint ratings.  These guys are good at what they do and I appriciate their work. I am looking at the article now but do not know how to include a pic. Top rated is Behr Marquee. Second is Valspar Reserve. Third Behr premium plus ultra. Four is Clark and Kensington enamel. Five Benjamin Moore aura.

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    I did find early on the cheap paint is expensive... Labor is your biggest input, so get the good stuff. Or you end up redoing it..

    The cr rating above may be a good start. I also like the speciality paint store (where I go Ben Moore, for example) just for  consistent service and expertise (hit or miss at the big box there).

    Then hard to beat the old school prep with tsp and  a good sponge mop (just damp) and rinse with clean water (damps sponge mop)...and primer for major color changes or spots  and stains..

    The good paint in luster you can clean also makes turnarounds easy...clean the walls (as mentioned) and you may only have to touch up..

    Finally, if you can go with one color/brand for the interiors of your rentals you will save time trying to match color or organize endless paints in your garage...best of luck

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    10y

    since you dont have Menards in Texas, i would steer you to Sherwin Williams Promar 200, its the same as the Conco Product I have been using since 2009, great coverage, and reasonable price, around $15/gal, in our market, the high end stuff doesnt seem to do any better, I have used it and my painters have, and they love how it covers, flows and cuts.  

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 227 posts · 114 votes
    10y

    I fooled around with paint and coverage for years. Cheap paint is just that -cheap. The color/primer combos are hit and miss- valspar 2000 is fair. I started using the exterior paint combo paint/primer for interior use. It covers great-thicker paint. Has anyone tried this and is there any repercussions other than intitally it takes longer for the paint fumes to clear?

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Full disclosure...  I work as a Store Manager for the world's largest coatings manufacturer.

    @Account ClosedYou brought up "after 2 coats it still looks like crap", so I will comment on that.  I don't know what you are using or who is applying it.  That could be from a few different things.  It could be a poor surface condition, poor prep, low quality product, a bad painter, or a combination of them.  An awesome product in the hands of a horrible painter can still look bad at the end of the job, and a bad product in the hands of a good painter can look pretty good when they finish.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    10y

    @John Santero STOP USING EXT PAINT INSIDE!!!!  the hazards from off gassing of the paint could get you sued!!!! this has come up several times in classes I have taken as a Realtor. the "chemical off gassing" can make people sick for years after you paint. search the web about this, its really a bad practice.

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    @John SanteroI agree completely on not using exterior products inside.  Mildewcides, fungicides, insect repellants, etc. are fine outside when there is plenty of ventilation (aka being outdoors), but inside is a horrible idea.  There are some products designed for interior/exterior use, which would be fine.

    Another consideration for not using exterior paint inside is the characteristics of the products themselves.  Exterior surfaces don't have more or less abuse than interior surfaces, they just take a different type of abuse.  Exterior coatings are softer than interior coatings.  There might be 30 degree temperature swings over the course of a day.  Temperature fluctuations will cause the siding to expand and contract, requiring a more flexible, softer coating.  You don't have that issue inside.

    Also, exterior paint (generally) costs more than interior paint.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 117 votes
    10y

    My fave landlord paint is Benjamin Moore UltraSpec. I love the colors, the coverage, and the cost. I didn't arrive there via lots of experimentation; BenjMoore is the only brand available at the building supply store near my rural rental property. But I've been delighted with it.

    I was even more delighted with it after using the house brand at TrueValue. I can't even remember the name; not a major brand. The coverage sucks.

    So now I look for Benjamin Moore UltraSpec anywhere I have rentals!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 227 posts · 114 votes
    10y

    Thanks- I forgot to mention that it is a exterior/interior grade of paint. Thanks for the info

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone, for their time and advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.