Fence for Triplex? Best options? Do renters consider fences?

Fence for Triplex? Best options? Do renters consider fences?

Jon S.Pro Member
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 92 votes

I am renovating a triplex and will soon be done and putting it out there for rent. I'm trying to decide whether to put up a fence, which would separate the yards into small areas, and provide overall fence around the whole property. The questions I have are: What's an economical fence to use? What will look good? What will add value to the property as far as an appraisal value goes? Will a property with privacy fence be easier to rent than one without a fence, or is this not even a consideration by renters? Can a fenced property command higher rent? The neighborhood is so-so, it's close to very nice neighborhoods, but this particular location gets people from public housing walking down the street, and also has neighbors who are a bit loud and obnoxious. I'm trying to offset that with fence, so I can attract a better tenant, but don't want to waste money on something that won't work. Also, the question comes up, which is more secure, privacy fence, or non-privacy fence. On the one hand, privacy fence sounds more secure but is it really? Parking will be outside the fence. If the cars are parked outside the privacy fence, making them not visible to the tenant, is that more secure? I know there is no one single answer to any of this, but any experience, any insights, would be appreciated. Thank you

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 59 votes
10y
It probably depends on the market. I'm in San Diego with a climate that lends itself to outdoor living. I frequently modify fencing to create private yards. At least in San Diego, private yards will allow for higher rents, unlike common yards. I go with 6ft solid privacy fence.
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I would put fencing similar to neighboring properties. I'm not sure I know what you mean by the small areas....You're going to fence the yard, but also fence the yard into small sections? Why not just fence the perimeter like normal?

    While I doubt you can command higher rent for a fence, it could attract more people. People like a fenced yard for their children to play. Or if you allow pets, it's always great for them too.

  • Jon S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 92 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

    I would put fencing similar to neighboring properties. I'm not sure I know what you mean by the small areas....You're going to fence the yard, but also fence the yard into small sections? Why not just fence the perimeter like normal?

    While I doubt you can command higher rent for a fence, it could attract more people. People like a fenced yard for their children to play. Or if you allow pets, it's always great for them too.

     Thank you Nicole. These are 2/1 units, so being so small, I don't think my target market is families. I think it is going to be attractive to young professionals, and/or college students. I really don't want pets, but I know I'm likely to get good applicants with pets. However, I've changed my mind about the fence and am now planning to skip the fence and see how it goes. It's a lot of money to put in a fence, the neighbors by and large do not have fences. Your thoughts are much appreciated.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 59 votes
    10y
    It probably depends on the market. I'm in San Diego with a climate that lends itself to outdoor living. I frequently modify fencing to create private yards. At least in San Diego, private yards will allow for higher rents, unlike common yards. I go with 6ft solid privacy fence.
  • Jon S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 92 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Doug H.:

    It probably depends on the market. I'm in San Diego with a climate that lends itself to outdoor living. I frequently modify fencing to create private yards. At least in San Diego, private yards will allow for higher rents, unlike common yards. I go with 6ft solid privacy fence.

     Thanks Doug, that is good information. What kind of fence material are you going with? Thanks for your reply. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 59 votes
    10y
    Jon S. I usually go with a cedar done in a picture frame design for the interior, sides, and back. The front usually requires solid up to 3 feet with a 50/50 solid (lattice or horizontal fence plank) for 3' to 6' by local code. Also, be sure to check your local code. I usually get stuck with having to set the fence back 3' from the sidewalk.
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    I use steel posts.  The planks are going to get broken, some cross beams will occasionally get broken but if my posts are solid all other fence repairs are fairly easy.

    So far I have never needed to replace/repair a steel post.

    I do not think a fence helps me collect more rent but it can make the unit more desirable.  I usually fence per standards of the neighborhood and where my units are located that is plain privacy fence.  I use cedar planks just to be consistent.  I water seal the fence in areas of no tagging and paint the fence in areas were it may eventually get tagged.

    Good luck.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    First, when in Rome, do as the Romans do - - ie don't have the only fenced yard on the street AND match the styles already present (if any).

    Second, check with city codes; in some areas you can not have a front yard fence taller than X and not of solid construction, ie can't see the front of the house and yard.

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 243 votes
    10y

    1) Definitely check local codes first

    2) Steel is silly cheap right now, and resists "tenant and neighbor behavior" quite well

    3) Consider a more substantial fence on property perimeter, such as block, and then more inexpensive options for interior yards.

    4) I doubt you'll get more rent, but you will have more interest, especially if other options around you aren't fenced.  for example, i put two shaded parking spaces in front of my duplex in AZ (super hot, and cars just BAKE out here), didn't cost me that much, (welder by trade in another lifetime) and no one else in the neighborhood has covered parking.  I got a TON of calls just based on that.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.