Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
Hello All,
Was searching online but haven't seen a recent thread/post in a while on this and since these services change often would love to hear what you use when screening tenants. Ideal features:
Credit report (preferably of an actual credit bureau)
Criminal check
Eviction check
Option for me to fill in the tenant's data myself (many residents around this area are more comfortable with paper / phone than using the internet.)
Preferably $35 or less (so I'm not charging potential residents an arm and a leg)
Services I've heard of but have yet to try:
Cozy.co <-- No ability for me to enter the tenant's data
Houserie <-- This one seems promising. Do people trust this?
On-site.com <-- Referred by a local but $40 for everything these days.
Transunion / Experian service <-- Seems to require tenants to fill out form
Many thanks in advance for any advice in this realm!
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
10y
Apparently the one I use is obscure, MrLandlord.com. I've used them for over a decade and been perfectly happy. Here's a cut and paste from their site. Only catch is that I had to pay for a office site inspection to show I had a locked file and a shredder. But the $15 is cheap enough that I don't usually charge an applicant, I figure it's just part of the turnover cost.
Best Deal - Complete TransUnion Credit, Eviction and Criminal Combo ......................$24.95 per applicant 1. TransUnion Credit Report w/ FICO Score 2. Two National Eviction Reports Includes: Sex Offender, Terrorist, Most Wanted Criminal 3. Instant National Criminal Search. Instant search is not available for the following states: WY, SD, MA and DE.
Good Deal - Essential TransUnion Credit & Eviction Combo .........................................$14.95 per applicant 1. TransUnion Credit Report w/ FICO score 2. Two National Eviction Reports Includes: Sex Offender, Terrorist, Most Wanted Criminal
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
10y
Will check this out @Anita Hale. Thanks for the post.
The one recommended on BP (Smartmove) has that fatal flaw. I'd feel poorly if I forced a tenant to fill out a paper version only to port them to a website afterwards (and I can't even see a sample form without pretending to be a tenant-- so I'm unsure if that questionnaire will even ask for employer references that I can view after they fill it out).
Roseville, CA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 26 votes
10y
@Alice K. I've worked with thousands of property managers to streamline their leasing process and understand the benefits of manually entering applicant data. May I contact you directly to discuss some options not addressed here in your post?
Will check this out @Anita Hale. Thanks for the post.
The one recommended on BP (Smartmove) has that fatal flaw. I'd feel poorly if I forced a tenant to fill out a paper version only to port them to a website afterwards (and I can't even see a sample form without pretending to be a tenant-- so I'm unsure if that questionnaire will even ask for employer references that I can view after they fill it out).
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
10y
@JD Martin I overstated "fatal". It's probably a fantastic system, but I don't want to force tenants to use the internet to apply as I myself have been directed to "apply online" and gotten distracted and never did each time I've been sent to online forms. In my region, people seem to prefer paper over email.
@JD Martin I overstated "fatal". It's probably a fantastic system, but I don't want to force tenants to use the internet to apply as I myself have been directed to "apply online" and gotten distracted and never did each time I've been sent to online forms. In my region, people seem to prefer paper over email.
Have you used them before?
I have, lots of times and I like them. I wasn't sure what I was missing, but I don't consider being forced online a flaw - if my tenants aren't savvy enough to apply online, they probably aren't savvy enough to look at our listing, pay electronically, communicate by text, etc. I always make paper applications available, and sometimes they are returned, then I just enter the info in myself. But most everyone prefers applying online that I deal with.
Lender · NY / FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
10y
I have used smartmove and was happy with it. A tenant who can fill out an online application without hand holding is usually one who can make electronic rent payments on time. (at least in my case)
Was searching online but haven't seen a recent thread/post in a while on this and since these services change often would love to hear what you use when screening tenants. Ideal features:
Credit report (preferably of an actual credit bureau)
Criminal check
Eviction check
Option for me to fill in the tenant's data myself (many residents around this area are more comfortable with paper / phone than using the internet.)
Preferably $35 or less (so I'm not charging potential residents an arm and a leg)
Services I've heard of but have yet to try:
Cozy.co <-- No ability for me to enter the tenant's data
Houserie <-- This one seems promising. Do people trust this?
On-site.com <-- Referred by a local but $40 for everything these days.
Transunion / Experian service <-- Seems to require tenants to fill out form
Many thanks in advance for any advice in this realm!
Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
10y
I use ZumperPro.com, they are an excellent service. I make $20 off every application. The tenant pays a $50 application fee Zumper takes $30 I get the remaining $20
I require a completed application prior to showing any of my units.
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
10y
All good thoughts about online screening.
@Thelonious Jones This system seems good. I'm a definite fan of allowing users to pay with their credit cards with fast processing turnaround. Will keep this system in mind if the future tenant wants more options.
@Robert Nason Thanks for the reminder on Zumper-- Love that UI (Not that it *really* matters in the end) I wonder though, isn't it illegal for me to profit off of screening a tenant? (Or, maybe I just read somewhere that there are upper limits.)
Regardless, I'd probably just keep it at 20 - $35 max and don't even want to run their data unless I'm sure they're good as I'd hate to charge people if I they aren't a good match from the get-go.
You must be in a good market-- In mine (even where I live in the Bay), I've never heard of charging an application fee before showing. Usually though in the Bay everyone is punching each other to get a place though so the landlord should have no worries.
Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
10y
I received over 100 inquiries on one ad three weeks ago. I try to screen as many people over the phone as possible, but those who insist on coming I want them to have a little skin in the game and show me their sincere. I weed lot of people out by having them do that upfront. I also do not like group showings I don't want to have 50 people running in and out of the apartment building in one day.
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
10y
Apparently the one I use is obscure, MrLandlord.com. I've used them for over a decade and been perfectly happy. Here's a cut and paste from their site. Only catch is that I had to pay for a office site inspection to show I had a locked file and a shredder. But the $15 is cheap enough that I don't usually charge an applicant, I figure it's just part of the turnover cost.
Best Deal - Complete TransUnion Credit, Eviction and Criminal Combo ......................$24.95 per applicant 1. TransUnion Credit Report w/ FICO Score 2. Two National Eviction Reports Includes: Sex Offender, Terrorist, Most Wanted Criminal 3. Instant National Criminal Search. Instant search is not available for the following states: WY, SD, MA and DE.
Good Deal - Essential TransUnion Credit & Eviction Combo .........................................$14.95 per applicant 1. TransUnion Credit Report w/ FICO score 2. Two National Eviction Reports Includes: Sex Offender, Terrorist, Most Wanted Criminal
I received over 100 inquiries on one ad three weeks ago.
That says to me you're either lowballing your market or not giving enough info in the ad. My target response is 10-20. 100 is way too many to actually respond and interact with. I've never gotten 20 responses that didn't yield a quality tenant.
Real Estate Broker · Granby, CT · Member since 2015 · 694 posts · 317 votes
10y
following this thread. Struggling to pick one. I need to streamline my device so that I don't have to waste more of my time. I almost wish that I could just send someone to an online spot where they automatically get "eliminated" if they answer a question the wrong way. i.e., if the owner doesn't want pets, and the prospective tenant has pets, the system would just say something generic, like: :We are sorry, but this unit does not allow pets. We wish you the best of luck in your search and hope you find your home soon." I field way too many emails and phone calls for my rentals, and I find my time is far too valuable to be burning on some of the stuff that could be automated. Anyone have any experience with that? Where if someone calls me, I cold just say, please go to www.blablabla.com and you can ask all your questions there. Make sense or am I being ridiculous ?
San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
@Alice K. You're right that in CA you can't profit from an application fee. The max allowed is set by law. It's around $42. But, it's only supposed to be your actual out-of-pocket costs. Keep in mind, too, that by law in CA, if they pay an application fee and they request a copy of the report you pulled, you have to give it to them. If you don't charge them an application fee, you don't have to give them a copy.
I don't know if it would be worth it to you to join at this time, but the owner I worked for paid for a membership to the California Apartment Association. They have a lot of benefits, one of them being a discount with Credit Bureau Associates. That's who we used for screening in Santa Clara. Their office is in Fairfield.
This is the local chapter he belongs to, but it doesn't include San Francisco County. It's for the east and south bay. But, you could find out if you could join it or if they have a chapter that includes SF County.
In the building I managed in Santa Clara, I used paper applications, but if they wanted a copy of the application ahead of time, I could email it to them.
I think it really depends on your tenant pool, whether or not to require them to pay online, etc. I dealt with a lot of international students and techies from other countries. Some would have been comfortable with paying online, and some wouldn't have. In my case, the owner wasn't comfortable with online payments LOL. But, I think you're right to consider your tenant pool.
And by the way, in case you don't have this book, I highly recommend it. I preferred the forms from the book to the Apartment Association forms and my owner let me use the ones I wanted. The forms and contracts in the book are very simple and easy to understand - not intimidating for tenants, and include all the legal info necessary.
I use ZumperPro.com, they are an excellent service. I make $20 off every application. The tenant pays a $50 application fee Zumper takes $30 I get the remaining $20
I require a completed application prior to showing any of my units.
It looks like most of the options here (cozy/transunion/experien) recommend the tenant fulfilled screening versions which work great for one or two screens a year. The challenge with them is that you have to initiate it, then the service sends the tenant an email to finish the process. When done you get a copy of the report that the tenant actually orders. More often than not, it seems like the tenants get tripped up during the process, so these services are not only costly but super time consuming. There's a few services out there that let you order the reports directly, the one I use is Rentec Direct and it's served me well. The downside is you need to send in an application that took me about 20 minutes up-front to get credit report access, but it was a one time thing and now I have instant access to credit, criminal, and eviction for way below your price point.
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
10y
The one I recommended you fill it out. I get a completed application from my prospect and then run their credit.
Originally posted by @Robert Nason:
My ads are very detailed and if anything, I'm on the high-end of my market.
Sorry, but if you get 100 calls you're simply not at the top of the market. I'm in a very dense area, it's not like there's no one looking, I bet I'd have to drop my rent a couple hundred to get 100 inquiries. You can either try a higher price, or put in the ad that they'll have to pay $50 just to see it. I'll be that'll cut it down a bit! Whatever you do, do something, 100 is too much to deal with.
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
10y
@Johann Jells That's exactly the sort of price I'm looking for. Thanks for the share.
@Account Closed You just answered the very question I had about what it would be like for tenants filling out the application. (I was also curious if they ask for and then send landlords tenant references so I can call to fact-check) I'll check out Rentec Direct.