Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
Few Quick questions on how to screen tenants..
What is a good website for background checks and credit check.
Also how long does it usually take to get the information?
Thank you
Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
10y
That is very good advice. We do the same procedure when it comes to contacting the current landlord and have busted one already who put a fake reference on the app. We have even reached out to landlords via Facebook when we couldn't develop our own number for the landlord.
Calling tenant provided numbers for references is a bad practice, IMO.
Property Manager · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2009 · 429 posts · 201 votes
10y
Hi @Account Closed, credit reports are instantly available to landlords, some methods have tenants order the report and send it to the landlord which can take longer, but other methods make it directly available to the landlord with no wait. Each has it's pros and cons. There's a number of both of these types of screening companies here on BP and you can also google "tenant screening" for more. Aside from credit, be sure to look at a nationwide eviction report and nationwide criminal report. It's important to look at a nationwide report because they might have been convicted of an offense or be on a sex offender list in another county or state and you deserve to know that before renting to them.
Another powerful screening tactic is to get an address history report so you can compare their actual residential history with what they claim on their application. All too often an applicant will simply omit a landlord that they wrong'd and you wouldn't know to check for that unless you have an address history report.
Property Manager · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2009 · 429 posts · 201 votes
10y
Hi John,
You are absolutely correct. Some counties do not make their data available electronically or make it extremely difficult to get. A nationwide report will get the bulk of all US counties (depending on the supplier), but it's never going to be 100%. But since it's often impractical to contact every county the subject has resided in (or visited as people do commit crimes while travelling too), it's a really good starting point.
Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
10y
We use Saferent a service of CoreLogic. They have different price options but you can search nationally because Trans Union compiles all of the records into its master dataset. No search is 100% accurate but we have not run into problems so far.
San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
I agree that checking previous addresses to look for omitted info on the application is important. A couple things I did to get previous addresses, was to ask to see their ID - then I'd write down the address on it. Also, I required personal printed checks to pay for the application fee, so I could see that address, too. I also wanted to know that they had an active checking account.
Also, beware of tenants who want you to make a decision over a weekend, even if you can access their credit reports online. Some do this so that you can't verify landlord or employment references, because their offices may be closed over the weekend.
You'll actually have some applicants screen themselves out, when you ask for these things, and tell them you never make decisions over the weekend or holidays.
And google the company and get the number of the HR department and call that number, instead of the number they put on the application.
I also Googled the applicants, in addition to running the checks. Sometimes you'll find the darndest things :-)
Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
10y
That is very good advice. We do the same procedure when it comes to contacting the current landlord and have busted one already who put a fake reference on the app. We have even reached out to landlords via Facebook when we couldn't develop our own number for the landlord.
Calling tenant provided numbers for references is a bad practice, IMO.
Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 11 votes
10y
@Nathan Miller, that is very good advice. I am new to investing and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible without making any action. I will definitely implement this information into my mind to utilize once I get my first rental.
@Nathan Miller, that is very good advice. I am new to investing and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible without making any action. I will definitely implement this information into my mind to utilize once I get my first rental.
You're so smart for learning before you leap. Good on you.
Vancouver, WA · Member since 2016 · 230 posts · 161 votes
10y
@Account Closed - I've been using Rentec Direct for all my tenant screening for a few years now. Super convenient as I get the reports delivered instantly. It's not like smartmove or the smartmove clones in that I get my reports delivered to me instantly without any tenant interaction. I highly recommend the service.
@Nathan Miller - I'm very pleased to see you guys up on BP!! I have a few suggestions for the app that I'd love to confer with you about.
Turn around (for any service): Should be a few hours (same day)
Great customer service at Hourserie-- both are not a rip off and don't require you do some grueling visit where they check if you have a safe box for holding screening applications (if you want very detailed credit reports, some places will do this for you, but honestly, I don't think it's necessary).
Smart move requires tenants apply themselves online, but I like to review references first so I'm not charging everyone money upfront. As a renter myself-- No one wants to have their money wasted if you're already not keen on selecting them.
San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Sue,
A lot of people will have a P.O.Box on their license, and they call that privacy.
Well, when you apply to rent or borrow money or buy a car, etc., etc., you better be ready to have your privacy invaded. Or keep looking for a naive landlord.
But, a PO Box can still give you info. It will have a town listed. If none of the addresses they gave you were in that town - bingo.
Vancouver, WA · Member since 2016 · 230 posts · 161 votes
10y
Agreed, $20 for social trace is really high. My service charges me about $4 for it if I only want that, or includes it in the other packages (credit, criminal, eviction).
New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 16 votes
10y
MyRental is a great site for tenant screening. Not only do they offer credit and background check services, they also offer criminal searches, eviction histories, and tenant scores. Their site also provides great articles and resources full of information.
Property Manager · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2009 · 429 posts · 201 votes
10y
@Cody Barrett - You can also get TransUnion credit data direct, without having to have the tenant go online and fill out their questionnaire. You just can't get it directly from TU, a certified reseller has to be involved. Same thing, just instant results to the landlord with no tenant interaction.
@Jason Hartley - BP community rules doesn't it!! Thank you for the props! Call the office and ask for me and I'd be happy to chat with you any time about the ideas you have.
Developer · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 96 votes
10y
I recently used Cozy.co for my last turnover and was pretty impressed with the reports I was provided with. The tenant pays the fee with will vary depending on the reports you select, I think both credit and background was $39. They also offer payment processing free to the landlord where the renter can pay with a ACH, credit or debit card which is why in chose them. My tenants had lots of trouble getting their bank set up and Cozy takes their sweet time releasing the funds to the landlord so I stopped using the payment processing part and just leave it as an option for the tenants but I encourage them to either set up their own ACH or make a deposit directly at the local bank.
Investor · Roseburg, OR · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 3 votes
10y
Is there any tenant screening that does not require a tenants email? My tenants don't have email or use online....I seem to be at a stand still for a moment.... Any advise is helpful!
Vancouver, WA · Member since 2016 · 230 posts · 161 votes
10y
@Brent Kostner - the service I use does not require the tenant to have an email account. I order the reports myself, the tenant doesn't' have to do anything. I'm using Rentec Direct for the service. They are located in Oregon also, but their service is all done online.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 87 votes
10y
I use Cozy for all of my tenant screening. Their payment process is so easy to use. It allows each individual tenant to pay their portion of the rents with their debit cards and then transfers the funds directly to your account. It's an extremely smooth process. With the screening, I simply have my prospective tenants log in and create an account, then click on my property and then have them apply for it. They pay the application fee and enter all of the information. I then get the report of what it found.
Vancouver, WA · Member since 2016 · 230 posts · 161 votes
10y
@Chris Parrish - i just hated having to make the tenants login and create accounts. Half of my tenants can barely figure out how to use email, yet alone figure out a system that goes about verifying their identity and such. Sometimes this process can take a tenant days. I want my reports this second so I can make a decision this second, not a couple days later. I much prefer just doing it for them and cozy doesn't allow that.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bend, OR · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 87 votes
10y
Jason Hartley those are some good points! All of my tenants I have worked with have been pretty tech savvy and has yet to be a problem for me. However, I'm sure if I found a tenant I loved that was terrible with the tech world, I would do the application for them!
I just love the idea of not having to do all of the inserting of information myself. Having the tenants do the application also seems to screen out the people who aren't very serious about moving in.
Take care!
Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
10y
@Jason Hartley, it looks like you can a full report (criminal, credit, and evictions, plus some others) with rentec direct for $15. Is that correct?
It also appears that I would enter the information, is that correct?
For the record, I'd prefer to enter the information because some people just are technology averse. And $15 is a great price for all that. Just want to verify that's the case, because if so, it looks just about perfect for what I want.
Vancouver, WA · Member since 2016 · 230 posts · 161 votes
10y
Hi Dustin,
The $15 sounds like their client pricing they offer to users of the software. That's the price I get, but I have 75 units in their system with their Pro software.
...
Just looked, according to their website, the $15 pricing is for Rentec Pro and PM members with 50+ units. They basically discount the regular pricing in half it looks like if you also use their software. But 29.45 is s still a very competitive price for credit, criminal, and eviction if you don't use their software. If you aren't using their software, the regular pricing is here:
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
We use cozy.co for credit and background checks. Tenants fill out the form on their own, pay the fee and we get almost instant notification. Been over a year and have not had an issue. Cozy has great service too- fast response time.