What sort of lawn should I install

What sort of lawn should I install

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes

This may be a strange question for those from areas where rain and water are plentiful. But Denver is a desert. Rain is scarce in the summer, water can be rationed, and water bills can be very high if you're allowed to water grass. The property I'm purchasing now, for a rental, has a disaster in the front lawn. The old landscaping is pretty much dead and gone, and there are only bits of old grass. Mostly weeds. If I was flipping, I'd put in sod and water it until it sold. But that seems like a waste of money for a rental. Prospective tenants will love it, but the won't like the water bill, and will end up killing it, I'm afraid. Or, leave me stuck with a big water bill. Suggestions?

0Reply
107 views

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 566 posts · 356 votes
    17y

    Google "drought resistant grass."

    We had a neighbor who never watered. I asked one day and they told me they bought the seed from a company in Oregon. We were in Wisconsin.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    When you find it, Jon, let me know. I love my Denver lawn, but you're right . . . it is a desert here and I'm all about this drought resistant stuff. Thanks for the suggestion Ralph.

  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    17y

    st. augustine/floratam

    it grows well here in FL and can tolerate droughts. it's also incredibly thick.

  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    17y

    should also be noted that it CANNOT be seeded. something about the germination taking forever and the seeds smaller than pindrops....

    a 500 sq ft pallet here goes for about $120

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    I had St. Augustine when I lived in Texas, but its not used around here at all. Perhaps its too cold?

    Various sorts of fescue seem to be the preferred low water grass. I'm just not feeling like spending $2500 to resod this lawn, only to have it die from lack of water.

  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    17y

    i just googled what ralph suggested.

    a 10,000 sq ft bag of seed was $300.

    pretty reasonable. i wonder if it works......

    must be too cold for st augustine. we neverget below 30 here for longer than a few hours.

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenixville, PA · Member since 2008 · 105 posts · 38 votes
    17y

    You are going to think I am nuts, but I plant OATS!!!! Looks like grass, really thick grass, like a resort in Jamicia, It is tough, and grows quick..Mix it with whatever the local local LOWES sells for your area, and you will not believe it..I do it all the time...OATS.....

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    Have you tried BUffalo Grass?

    If I knew how to get this article's owners permission I would post it on BP here.

    But for now the only thing I can do is copy and paste the url link.

    http://www.suite101.com/blog/bobcajun/buffalo_grass_desert_sod

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check into both of those.

  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    Here is another article describing the "how to" to make grass grow in a desert climate.

    http://www.ehow.com/how_4513716_grow-grass-desert.html

  • Ellington, CT · Member since 2009 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Josh Green:
    st. augustine/floratam

    it grows well here in FL and can tolerate droughts. it's also incredibly thick.



    Sounds an awful lot like bermuda grass? I had it in TN and I love the stuff. Nothing better for hitting a 7 iron off of. I think it gets a bit too chilly in denver for it though.



  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 566 posts · 356 votes
    17y

    So, Jon, what's the plan?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Right now the immediate plan is to figure out if this deal still makes sens. The appraiser is giving it a lower value than we expected. Its another topic, but the change is apprasial processes is a potentially disruptive influence on property values.

    Had one landscaper out there Tuesday, and I'm supposed to hear back from them today. Was supposed to meet with another, but I got caught in traffic and I think they gave up. I called and warned them of the situation, and its not as I needed to be there for them to look at it anyway. So, I think that's dead.

    We have a great nursery near my house, and I want to get over there and talk to folks about the oats and buffalo grass alternatives, and see if they have any other suggestions.

    I'm trying to work out if this makes sense as a flip. I've been focused on the parts where I have a clue, like cabinets and counter tops, and ignoring this lawn situation.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Hi

    Have you ever thought of Xeriscaping and using stones rather than grass. You can have a pretty landscape with out the grass.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Yeah, xeriscaping is big here, since it was pioneered by Denver Water. Downside to that is that its expensive to put in. I may end up doing kind of a combination, with some xeriscaping in the old beds and then grass in between. Looks like that's what they had previously.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    17y

    In Bend Oregon, high altitude, cold, desert (6 inches of rain yearly), we use native bluegrass. It's draught and cold tolerant.

    However, I guarantee you that tenants can kill anything you plant, and no matter what type of grass you plant, it needs water to get established and tenants won't water.

    So you don't plant seed unless you can get over every day to water it (or 2-3 times a day if you haven't used good mulch).

    Be careful with gravel-- tenant kids like to throw it to break your windows.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Well, Mike and I went and took a look at retail listings in the area. Out of over a dozen, only two had anything done with the lawn. The others look just as bad or worse than this one. Even the those two only had the fronts fixed, and back was a mess. Unfortunately, this place has a big front yard and a tiny back.

    Its the water that's a concern Admitidly I have a big lawn at my house, and my wife has a huge garden. But our every-other-month bill runs well over $200 in the summer. I'm sure a tenant will not be willing to pay the bill for a nice yard.

    At the moment, this deal looks like a no-go. The appraisal came back about $10K under my estimate. We've put in a new offer to the bank, we'll see if they take it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Hi Joh,
    Any updates on this deal? I'm very curious about what you found out about your options and what you decided to do.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    I though this deal was going to die, since the appraisal came back low. But we went back to the bank and offered 7K less and they accepted. We're supposed to close on Thursday.

    I still don't have a clue on what to do with the yard. I went to one of our good garden centers. They strongly recommended against buffalo grass because it will only look good during the middle of summer. They said it greens up very late around here and then fades out very early.

    Everyone I've asked about oats looks at me like I have two heads. I haven't actually found any to buy.

    We've had a very wet spring here. That will make for a nasty fire season. But it may generate enough growth in the weeds that I can mow and it will look OK.

    I've estimated sodding, and that's about $2500. I've not tested the sprinkler system, but will as soon as we close. I may just try overseeding and sprinkling and hopping for the best.

  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    17y

    wow! $2500?! thats a big lawn!!! did you look into the seed that ralph was taling about? it looked pretty cool...

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Yes, I've found several types of drought resistent and low growth grass seed.

    I can probably buy just the sod for about a third of that price. I've been negotiation with my son to do some yard work and install it.

    Depending on how the sprinklers look, I may try to rejuvenate the beds and put some sod around them.

  • Real Estate Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2008 · 234 posts · 32 votes
    17y

    Hey Jon,

    What about either:

    1. Desert landscaping.
    2. Synthetic grass - haven't seen anyone with it yet but I've seen it pushed pretty hard out here in California at various venues. It can actually give a pretty good look and feel and of course never needs watering.

    Good luck.

  • Southern California, CA · Member since 2009 · 39 posts · 7 votes
    17y

    We live at 6000' elevation in CA mountains, snow in winter, warm in summer. We planted plugs of Buffalo Grass. It does brown out in the winter, but comes back every year very green and nice.

    It's good for saving water - we never water all winter - but it will not stay green all year. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Attorney · Syracuse/New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    17y

    A different situation, but I've replaced some of my lawns with ivy to avoid having to pay for having to mow it. Certain ivy is very hardy, withstands the cold (I'm in upstate NY) and never really needs to be watered. As long as it's trimmed to prevent overgrowth into other areas it's economical and actually can be very attractive.

    Tony D'Anzica, JD
    DynaMax Realty, Inc.
    Property Manager

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    We ended up closing on this place last Thursday. The sprinklers do work, though the coverage isn't truly adequate, nor is the entire area sprinkled. At this point I'm just going to put some seed down, start watering it, and hope for the best. The soil in pretty bad, very sandy, and would have to have a lot of amendment to get sod to take. We've had an unusually wet sprint, so it doesn't look too bad. I'll get some drought tolerant perennials in the beds and it should look acceptable.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.