What sort of lawn should I install

What sort of lawn should I install

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes

This may be a strange question for those from areas where rain and water are plentiful. But Denver is a desert. Rain is scarce in the summer, water can be rationed, and water bills can be very high if you're allowed to water grass. The property I'm purchasing now, for a rental, has a disaster in the front lawn. The old landscaping is pretty much dead and gone, and there are only bits of old grass. Mostly weeds. If I was flipping, I'd put in sod and water it until it sold. But that seems like a waste of money for a rental. Prospective tenants will love it, but the won't like the water bill, and will end up killing it, I'm afraid. Or, leave me stuck with a big water bill. Suggestions?

0Reply
105 views

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    I just came across an add on BP here that you will either want to check into, or get a good laugh at.

    I would never have thought of it!!!!

    http://www.paintlawn.com/

  • Handyman · Fuquay Varina, NC · Member since 2009 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Jon
    Here in the south east there is a grass called centipede. I don't know about your area and the high/cold but the stuff is very tuff seems to choke out weeds and grows slowly so it does not need mowed often. It can be plugged and will spread over time. The seed however is higher than a cat's back, so would be costly to seed an entire lawn. If you are rehabbing it would take to long.

  • carmicael, CA · Member since 2010 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    An organic one. Deep roots will store more water. [LINK REMOVED]

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    16y

    In the midwest we have whats called zoisia grass. may not be spelled right but it is plugged,not seeded and very hardy.

  • Member since 2010 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Just Don:
    In the midwest we have whats called zoisia grass. may not be spelled right but it is plugged,not seeded and very hardy.

    This...It will actually start to crowd out and choke off the old grass and weeds when it takes hold, it grows slowly and is supposed to be very sun/drought hardy. You can buy plugs cheap.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.