do you install garbage disposals and/or dishwashers in rental?

do you install garbage disposals and/or dishwashers in rental?

Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 56 posts · 13 votes

i am leaning toward installing a dishwasher but NOT installing a garbage disposal. thoughts or strategies either way?

1Reply
175 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
10y

install both. I just replaced my first $90 garbage disposal in 20 minutes last week.

or you can deal with clogged pipes and 2am calls ;)

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · La Grande, OR · Member since 2014 · 194 posts · 176 votes
    10y

    HI @Nick L.,

    I put dishwashers in all my units to make them stand out against the competition, however I do not do garbage disposals. They have shorter life spans, a higher probability of a tenant electrocuting themselves when screwing around under the sink, and can create quite a liability in a house with kids.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    install both. I just replaced my first $90 garbage disposal in 20 minutes last week.

    or you can deal with clogged pipes and 2am calls ;)

  • Ormond Beach , FL · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    Adding a disposal in a SFR tomorrow. People are accustomed to having them these days and if you are going to charge top rent, I think it's a small thing that helps.

  • Agent/Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2013 · 542 posts · 304 votes
    10y

    Are we talking a $500 rental or a $1500 rental?  

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    My 2 cents: If the neighborhood allows, don't install either. Just something else to break/repair. If you can get away with just one, probably a dishwasher is better to install. Disposals frequently get clogged or break due to people thinking they can throw anything down the drain. They are cheap to replace, yes, but why have to deal with a clogged sink or broken disposal call at 2am?

  • Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    In my affordable blue collar rental homes the answer is "no" on both.  I also do not provide refrigerators.

    Good luck

    Fixer Jay DeCima

  • Penny ClarkPro Member
    Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
    10y

    @Nick L., you definitely want to do this for higher end rentals because people expect modern conveniences and it will get you top rent for the place. However, you do have to educate your tenants on proper use of them - particularly the garbage disposal. What I do is include a care and use of your garbage disposal Dos and Don'ts handout with their welcome packet. Some items mentioned include: 

    - Don't pour grease, oils, rice or pasta of any kind down the disposal because it gums up the pipes leading to a clogged sink

    - Do run hot water down the drain for 30 or 45 seconds after use to help clear the drain after use.

    I do the same with a quick explanation on how to change out smoke detector batteries (when you install the 10 year, there's no need unless it is defective) the size of the air filter and how often to change it and how to change it out, how to operate the HVAC thermostat to heat or cool the unit. A picture and a sentence or two of instructions is sufficient. Doing these things saves you time.

  • Agent/Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2013 · 542 posts · 304 votes
    10y

    @Penny Clark  has it right.  Print it out in color, laminate it, and keep a copy.  I also include how to shut off the water and main breaker.

  • Penny ClarkPro Member
    Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
    10y

    @Todd Plambeck, I agree; Showing tenants how to shut off the water and main breaker and gas is a must. I also tag or mark them so tenant can find them easily. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    My vote is yes to dishwasher - people like to be able to hide their dirty dishes and not have to keep a dish drainer on the counter.

    No to the disposal, because people think they can shove anything in there.  And they'll be afraid to stick their hands in it to get the spoon out that fell in - and call you to do it instead.

  • Henderson, NV · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Just a comment on the Garbage disposals. I've been a facilities Technician for 20 years and people throw full plates of food and coffee grounds, rice spaghetti and everything else down those things. I like the idea of supplying one but I wouldn't be surprised when they fill the pipe with rice that a snake won't fix. I've never had a problem when I rented or rented out my SFR. Just at work. They also have a reset button on the bottom that most some people don't seem to know about if they get jammed. Also an allen slot on the bottom can unjam it.

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    I have both in my rentals because they are both high-end 3/2 units in great areas.  I have an aerated septic for one of my rentals so the ground-up food probably breaks down faster?  Maybe? 

  • Realtor · Sequim WA & Port Angeles, WA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    I don't like disposals but yes to the dishwasher. 

    People don't realize that you can't put vegetable peels, etc. down a disposal. They misuse & break disposals often. 

    Agree that if it's a high end place you may have to keep the disposal as it's something the higher end tenants are accustomed to.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y

    @Nick L. a dishwasher is a must-have unless you are in low-end properties. I do not install disposals, but if I did then I would spend money for a good quality one. Get one with stainless grinder that will not freeze up. People have problems because they install cheap ones that rust. In my first home I had a cheap one and in this home I have a good one. World of difference. Still better off without a disposal.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    I'll sometimes put in a dishwasher if there is not already kitchen cabinets and I need to make up the extra 2 feet under the laminate countertop. A used dishwasher is cheaper than a new 2 foot base cabinet and can make for a happier tenant.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    We put dishwashers in our higher end rentals here in Connecticut. I think the class B+/A tenants expect it. 

    On the other hand we wouldn't even consider putting disposals in. To much misuse with those 

  • Real Estate Agent · Beaver, PA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    My opinion is it depends on the property location; whatever the normal for the area is.   I put dishwashers in all my rentals even though they are mostly on the "fringe".  Everyone wants a dishwasher.   No refrigerators, stoves or washers / dryers in those because they get damaged and I don't want to be responsible for replacing them.   These clients seem to be OK with that.  My condo is in a higher end neighborhood and I put all the appliances and a disposal in it.  Personally, I have never had a disposal because I lived in the country with a septic system for so long.  I don't miss not having one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 56 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    thanks everyone for your replies. i would call this a blue collar area. 2 bedroom house that i plan to rent for 700-800 per month. not low end / war zone, but also not high end. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2011 · 56 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeanni Prescan:

    My opinion is it depends on the property location; whatever the normal for the area is.   I put dishwashers in all my rentals even though they are mostly on the "fringe".  Everyone wants a dishwasher.   No refrigerators, stoves or washers / dryers in those because they get damaged and I don't want to be responsible for replacing them.   These clients seem to be OK with that.  My condo is in a higher end neighborhood and I put all the appliances and a disposal in it.  Personally, I have never had a disposal because I lived in the country with a septic system for so long.  I don't miss not having one.

     how do you handle the no refrigerator/stove situation with prospective tenants? do you just feel that if they are a quality tenant they will not mind providing their own?

  • Real Estate Agent · Beaver, PA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    I just don't provide it. They have always been able to find their own somehow. :). Of course, I should clarify that all my rentals are SFR, no apartments. If I had apartments I would supply them. That would be expected, but my SFR tenants have never questioned it, even my section 8.

    I think it's all in the way it's presented.  I'm very matter of fact, because I've had bad experiences.  The less I have to be responsible for the better!

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    10y
    I tried not to install either unless there is already a space setup for the dishwasher. My rents are in the $700 to $1100 range. Penny Clark I would not recommend installing 10 year batteries in a smoke detector because they are lithium ion batteries. Just like a drill that uses lithium batteries, when they die, they die with no warning. A regular battery will reach a level of discharge and the smoke detector will then start chirping. No chirping with a lithium and your tenant won't realize they have a problem.
  • Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes
    10y

    About 10 years ago I went over to my best friend's house, which he was renting. I noticed there were bricks from the front yard in the dishwasher. (long story) Right then I said "If I ever have a rental house, they aren't getting a dishwasher!"...and I've kept my word.

    If you want to provide those things, I suggest adding something to your lease that says they are responsible for repair and maintenance, including any possible drain clogs.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    About 10 years ago I went over to my best friend's house, which he was renting. I noticed there were bricks from the front yard in the dishwasher. (long story) Right then I said "If I ever have a rental house, they aren't getting a dishwasher!"...and I've kept my word.

    If you want to provide those things, I suggest adding something to your lease that says they are responsible for repair and maintenance, including any possible drain clogs.

     Wait! You have to tell us why they had bricks in the dishwasher.  That's just too good a story to keep to yourself.

  • Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 122 votes
    10y

    @Ryan Roberts, why were their bricks in the washer?

  • Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes
    10y

    He was re-arranging the inside of his 100? gallon aquarium...they were part of the new landscape. "Needed to be sanitized." Stuff like that is not unusual for him, and does not even raise an eye brow. He's also the inspiration for the requirement to get permission for any aquarium bigger than 10 gallons, and the rule against riding or parking of motorcycles in the house. (Yes, you really need a rule for that!)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.