Great sounding tenant with questionable dog - should I rent??

Great sounding tenant with questionable dog - should I rent??

Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes

Hi everyone,

So I am getting closer to finding a tenant for my first SFH rental. It has taken me exceptionally long, probably because it is my first time going through the process.

This is probably a C-class house with C-class tenant-base.  My biggest challenge has been finding a serious, responsible tenant.  

This week I finally found one that I like for the following reasons:

- She is polite, respectful, and reasonable

- She is a 5th grade teacher with a steady income over 4x the rent

- She has a clean criminal record

- She has good credit history and has unintentionally signaled twice that her credit is important to her

- Her car and dress seem clean and maintained enough

- In some online research I found out she was on the dean's list in college 

- She is offering to pay another half-month's security deposit to give her an advantage over other applicants

The biggest concern though is that she has a 75-pound dug that is a mix of Chow, American Terrier, Boxer, and Lab. 

Things to consider:

- She says the dog is not aggressive

- She says he does not destroy property

- She says he's over the "puppy stage"

- Her vet said the dog will likely not grow any more.  

- Apparently she brings him to day care regularly (maybe every day) where he usually expends his energy.  She offered to provide the contact info of the daycare provider to hear her/his input on the dog's temperament.  

- Apparently she has an e-collar to help "manage" the dog if necessary.  

- She is offering to pay more pet fee (I am already charging $200 upfront and $25 additional every month)

- The house is old (1952), has hardwood floors, a new deck, and a large backyard

- The tenant is required to get renter's insurance

- I have asked her to provide a record of the dog being spayed/neutered as well as vaccine records

It may or may not be obvious that I would like to approve this tenant even with the dog.  I would love to hear your thoughts?

0Reply
325 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2012 · 361 posts · 214 votes
10y

Nick, it's your first rental and you are obviously excited about REI, congratulations!!

However, I think you are totally over analyzing this and it sounds like you have just lost a months (or more) rent due to your overly strict criteria.

No amount of research can guarantee a good tenant.  Even a "doggie interview" won't tell you if the dog will scratch your floors and piss inside the house.  This teacher sounds like a god send to me given the C class location of your home.  Sign her up and stop wasting your time.  If you have that much time to kill start researching your next investment.  

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Hey Nick I also invest in Atlanta, in Decatur (30032, 30035 30034 and 30083) with homes and tenants similar to yours. I didn't read through all the posts so it might have been already mentioned. I used to not rent to folks with dogs but have since found that if your home is very dog friendly, dog owners may stay longer. A nice fenced backyard with direct access to the yard from the home can be a dog owners' dream! Also I saw someone say that the dog may have some pitt bull in them. If so, these folks have a harder time finding a home and my experience stay longer. In addition to meeting the dog... I would make sure their insurance policy and yours covers liability from dogs without any breed restrictions as some do. Have them sign a longer lease (all my leases even without pets are 2 year minimums ending February), additional deposit and rent which you're doing and is great. I wouldn't worry about the hardwoods. Include regular inspection check ins. Congrats on your first! Would love to connect with you sometime offline to network. I'll PM you. Michelle
  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 89 votes
    10y

    We rent to people with nice dogs. Our experience has been that good people with dogs have a hard time finding a rental. We give them a chance and they have worked out well for us. They don't want to leave and are extra motivated to keep in our good graces! 

    Our best tenants ever paid "bribed" us because they had four cats and a rottie mix. They actually improved our house and yard and lived in it for six years! 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 389 posts · 250 votes
    10y

    Nick -- go for it already.  Anything with teeth (including me) can be aggressive and dangerous in a provoking situation.  And the doggie-care folks also say this one is ok, correct, and it seemed good to you? Makes sense that a single woman willing to rent in your neighborhood might want a big-booty dog in the house :-)

    A dog is only as good or bad as the tenant -- if she passes all the screening tests (including the "gut reaction" test), then you're stuck on trying to do everything perfectly according to the Gods of BP and stalling on making a decision.  

    I always leave the door open for pets.  I figure that's a "competitive advantage" against apartment complexes and other options, and so far so good. It doesn't sound like your insurance is going to be a problem. In the past year I lowered the pet deposit and added the $25 pet rent (which stays in my pocket), and nobody blinks.

    My lease also includes a clause that if puppy or kitty is a problem, puppy or kitty has to go.  I go over everything in the lease (and explain that it documents not only my expectations of them, but my promises as a landlord).  If you've gotten a good tenant in the first place, they'll appreciate the honesty and everything in writing, and the pets will be handled accordingly.  

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    10y

    *Update*

    Thank you all again for offering such great advice.  I have been moving ahead with this applicant.  I have met the dog - big, but fairly tame, more of a labrador than anything.  The doggy daycare woman said good things.  Past landlords all said good things about the applicant and the dog.  

    The applicant agreed to pay double security deposit (2 months) and double pet fee ($400 upfront and $50 additional a month - all nonrefundable).  She also will be taking out 300k of renter's insurance with Geico - one of their agents verified that this dog would be covered.  

    This morning she set up her account with Chase Quickpay (which I will be using to collect rent) and sent a $200 holding deposit.  We're planning to sign the lease tomorrow!

  • Susan H.Pro Member
    Investor/Landlord · NWA, AR · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 132 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nick Brubaker:

    *Update*

    Thank you all again for offering such great advice.  I have been moving ahead with this applicant.  I have met the dog - big, but fairly tame, more of a labrador than anything.  The doggy daycare woman said good things.  Past landlords all said good things about the applicant and the dog.  

    The applicant agreed to pay double security deposit (2 months) and double pet fee ($400 upfront and $50 additional a month - all nonrefundable).  She also will be taking out 300k of renter's insurance with Geico - one of their agents verified that this dog would be covered.  

    This morning she set up her account with Chase Quickpay (which I will be using to collect rent) and sent a $200 holding deposit.  We're planning to sign the lease tomorrow!

     Congratulations, Nick! You win my vote for Most Diligent Landlord!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.