Investor · Southern California · Member since 2011 · 155 posts · 13 votes
The tenant wants to put a tub in the back yard.
They will pay for the purchase, installation, usage and maintenance of the tub. They will also be responsible for any possible damage to the house (such as leakage). When they move, they will take it with them, fill the land, and put new sod on the ground.
I did not see any problem with that, so have verbally agree with it. But would like to post it here to get a second thought from BPers before we put it on paper. Thanks in advance.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 567 votes
10y
@Aaron Xie Beyond the potential for damage to the property you'll want to check with your insurance company to be sure there are no issues with this that might affect your policy. If you're set on allowing them this you should ask for an additional security deposit (if that's legal where you are) to cover the potential costs of them not following through with their word about maintaining/removing/patching the yard. Once the tub is there you'll never know what can come to pass that might affect them being able to do everything else they've promised.
So, verify there's no issue with your insurance company, get everything they've promised to do in writing, have everyone sign the document, collect a security deposit to cover the costs if they don't follow through. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, basically.
All that said I think you're better off simply saying no.
REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y
As a Landlord:
No, not today, not next week, Not going to happen, how dare you even ask!!
As a human being and happy individual:
Seriously how can you deny them a hottub? maybe you should put up some "No smiling" signs. Perhaps a series of fines for laughter. Paint the walls all gray, put in gray carpeting and make them buy gray furniture. Only let them watch reruns of C-Span on TV.
Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 668 posts · 209 votes
10y
A kid drowns. Hot tub leaks and undermines the foundation (maybe the neighbor's foundation). Water damage to landscaping and/or a tree falls down on somebody's car. It's like an outside waterbed and we forbid them too. Not trying to be crazy about this but a lot can go wrong and a sheet of paper won't cure everything.
It's up to you but I would collect an addition security deposit because when they move out I can guarantee they will not lift a finger to fix the lawn. They could care less about the yard of a ex landlord.
Personally I would not allow it due to the insurance/liability risks but that's just me.
Rental Property Investor · Beverly, MA · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 11 votes
10y
this sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen in my opinion. i mean, i love a good hot tub as much as the next guy, but sure as the day you were born, when they go...and they will eventually go...they will leave that back yard destroyed.
Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 10 votes
10y
I had a tenant ask if they could install a "soft" hot tub in the basement of the 5-plex where they rented from me. You know, next to the coin op laundry. After I picked myself up off the floor from laughter, I simply told them "sorry, checked with insurance agent and they said no way" Good cop (me)/bad cop (ins agent).
Nothing good will come to you by allowing them to do this.
Investor · Park ridge, IL · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 33 votes
10y
I would Pass. Why take the risk? Or.....Tell them they can install one but they have to leave it in good condition when they leave and now you own it. But I would pass.
Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 16 votes
10y
A few things to consider: 1. does the panel in the house even have enough to support a hot tub? Hot tubs typically take 50amps and if the house is older, there's a good chance the panel needs to be upgraded and a line needs to be run to the hot tub by an electrician which could run a couple hundred to a thousand dollars 2. Hot tubs need to be on a level surface such as concrete or gravel so the tenants will have to dig out and bring in at least 2-3 inches of crushed gravel to provide a level surface 3. Are they buying it new and having it delivered? It's easy when someone else delivers it but they're 400-600 lbs empty and the tenant will have to rent a vehicle, bring a bunch of friends and have a place that will accommodate a hot tub when they leave if they are going to take it with them. There's a good chance it gets left behind (maybe you're good with that) 4. Who pays the water and electric bills? There will be increased expenses. Electricity would probably be about $20 more a month. Water would depend on how well they kept the chemicals balanced and needed to empty it and start fresh if they didn't
If it were me, I'd check on #1 as the tenants may not have accounted for this and the cost for #2 and it may just change their minds anyway
Contractor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2013 · 767 posts · 389 votes
10y
How will they pay for damage to the house from the leakage should it occur? What if it costs several thousand dollars? What if they throw a party and an inebriated friend drowns in it? They will sue you the property owner, not the broke tenant. A customer of an associate had a person die in the guest house from carbon monoxide poisoning as the pool heater wasn't vented properly. The parents of the guest are suing the property owner and everybody else they can.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 17 votes
10y
Brother just bought used hot tub. The moisture underneath caused it to rot and be invested with carpenter ants. I mention this because they can spread to house easily.
As far as value of tub. He fixed it himself for around 300.00 but he is very handy. Would have cost 2k for someone else.
I know vacation rentals that have hot tubs. I would make sure you approved the model. I read somewhere some models kids were getting killed by getting trapped some how. Also get a good umbrella policy. That will cost you a couple hundred a month.
Just seems like so much negative for you unless they are great tenants and they sign a long lease. I wouldn't take a risk like that unless your covered. I carry a 5 mill umbrella policy and it cost 150 a month.
Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 8 votes
10y
That is a lot of liability. It might cause damages you do not see at first. Also you have to talk to your insurance. Personally I will not allow the hot tub.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
10y
Sounds like you are very new to being a landlord, based on your agreeing to something verbally on the spot rather than giving a reply of "NO" or "Not sure, I'll first have to check with (others) ..."
Others can be any number of people such as attorney, accountant, insurance agent, partner, spouse, etc.; and then you can say that the other person said "NO" once you checked it with them.
Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
10y
I wouldn't really care if it makes them happy and they are paying rent. Doesn't seem any more risky than a normal bath tub. Shouldn't be too difficult to get rid of in the future if they decide to bail.
Tell them no. There are waaaayyyyyy to many things that can go wrong. Think about the future. Eventually you will want to rent the property out again to someone else. Although they "say" they want to "take the hot tub with them when they leave" they will most assuredly skimp on the deinstallation and removal fees associated with a quality job that's needed for the foundation, etc.
Tell them your business partner doesn't want a hot tub in there, your wife doesn't want it in there, your insurance company said they would increase your rates because of extra liability, something but just say no. If they don't like it, the good news is that they can move out, and find a place that already has a hottub built in.
Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 59 votes
10y
Howdy @Aaron Xie ... I think @David Zheng absolutely nailed it on this one, something it doesn't appear that anybody else has brought up. When being a landlord, you want to make additions/changes/upgrades that will increase income. Upgrades and renovations should make living arrangements more attractive and more comfortable.
Since the hot tub wouldn't even be yours, it adds no value to your property. If rent increased by $X to allow them to have a hot tub, that might be taken into consideration more. But to have no added benefit to you, it doesn't make sense.
Real Estate Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
9y
I know I am responding really late to this Thread but I am in Austin Texas, and purchased a rental with a hot tub already on the property outside. According to my Insurance agent there was no additional cost to insure however the hot tub would not be covered if damaged by some external force (storm, fire . . . ) With that said you MUST have a good umbrella policy which are fairly inexpensive for 1-2 million dollars.
I also found that it is next to impossible to get rid of a working / older hot tub, but you can pay someone to remove it. I have been quoted between $250 - $350 for removal.
So with all that said, if your renters stay for 3 years, and you get an umbrella policy for that reason, would increase your costs by (Umbrella 36 mo. * $50 = $1800 + $300 removal) $2100 for the 3 years, or $60 / mo
Spokane, WA · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 17 votes
7y
Hi there, I see this is an old post but its of interest to me because I am interested in a SFR to purchase as a REI/rental. There is a hot tub already there. Its wired up, but empty so I don't even know if it works or not. My thought was that I don't want the liability and maintenance headaches (even if the owner paid for maintenance) and I thought I would ask the owner to remove it as part of the sale. I also could try and move it to my own primary residence and use it personally but its probably a day of gathering friends to move it to the truck and haul it to my place. I used to own one and I know how pumps fail and the water needs to be kept topped off with chemicals.
Question: are my instincts correct, or is there some sort of benefit to leaving the hot tub in the rental unit with clear terms about the renter self-maintaining the hot tub? In other words is this a major selling point for a rental or not enough to warrant keeping it. My realtor said the lease could be worded specifically to clearly state the renter would self-maintain the hot tub.