Remove the hot tub or rent with it?

Remove the hot tub or rent with it?

Real Estate Investor · san francisco, CA · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 0 votes

I finally purchase a single family home with a hot tub in the yard. Thanks everyone who gave me the advises for my first post! The hot tub is in the good condition. I may need a few hundreds to fix the electrical since it is not up to code. I am thinking of removing it so I don't take the responsibility to maintain it and the liability of the safety issue. But some people told me a lot of renters love the hot tub. What is your opinion?

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes
15y

My last SFR had an old hot tub in the backyard. I posted the cover and hot tub separately on Craigslist. The hot tub for "FREE, you move" and the worn cover for $50. Cover sold same day and hot tub was gone a few days later.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    15y

    I'd check with your insurance agent about possible liability. You might want some sort of disclaimer signed by the tenants acknowlegding the risk and absolving you of any liability.

    I would hire someone to maintain it. These require weekly maintenance to keep the water in balance, like a pool. And they require ongoing maintenance of the pumps, filters and other components. It was enough of a pain that I eventually sold ours. Lovely to set in, but we didn't set in it enough to justify the effort and expense.

  • Electrical Contractor · both, Maine & Florida · Member since 2011 · 129 posts · 53 votes
    15y

    I'd remove it, I have one in my yard but would never trust a tenant to maintain it, plus you'll have enough stuff to keep in repair without adding unnecessary things

  • Real Estate Investor · san francisco, CA · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Thank you, Jon, dick for your feedback. I didn't know it is so much work to maintain it. One family have seen the house and asked me to keep the hot tub. What if I sell the tub and furnitures to them really cheap? That means they need to remove it when they leave. But what if they don't maintain it well and leave it behind? Then I would have pay somebody to remove and discard it. At least now I can sell it while it is in good condition.

  • Renter · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2009 · 133 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Hi,

    I agree that the Hot Tub is another maintenance item ( not as bad as a pool ) and a potential headache for you.
    So, I vote to get rid of it.

    Great if tenants buy it but you need to be prepared for them to leave it when they leave.

    Or see if you get any takers on craigslist etc.

    Richard C

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes
    15y

    My last SFR had an old hot tub in the backyard. I posted the cover and hot tub separately on Craigslist. The hot tub for "FREE, you move" and the worn cover for $50. Cover sold same day and hot tub was gone a few days later.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Siesta Key, FL · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    I definitely agree with the above posters - try to unload the hot tub via craigslist and get it out of there. My friend's father had a rental property with a hot tub that he rented out to college kids a few years back - biggest mistake ever!

  • Real Estate Investor · san francisco, CA · Member since 2011 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Thank you so much to all! It is pretty easy decision now, remove it. I may also list to sell sepeperately or together on craigslist.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.