Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
Plumbing problems make me crazy! I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. Pin hole leak in main line discovered last night. Plumber there at 10:30 pm, put a simple patch on it, turned off water to 20 units and said he would return at 8am with proper parts. This am he calls to say it will be this afternoon--people called in sick, scheduled jobs, etc. I'm using the big franchise company for this because of their 24 hour response. Sweet talked him into moving us up to midmorning but the point is my tenants have been inconvenienced to say the least.
Do I owe the tenants anything to acknowledge their pain? Nobody is making any demands, just want to know what others do. Thanks for any responses.
Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by :
Thanks @Jeff B. . Gift cards are being considered. Unfortunately had a similar situation at our building next door earlier this week. That means 40 gift cards if I go that route.
That's better that 40 notices of move-outs!
Remember, it's cheaper and more effective to KEEP a tenant than to replace one.
Plumbing problems make me crazy! I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. Pin hole leak in main line discovered last night. Plumber there at 10:30 pm, put a simple patch on it, turned off water to 20 units and said he would return at 8am with proper parts. This am he calls to say it will be this afternoon--people called in sick, scheduled jobs, etc. I'm using the big franchise company for this because of their 24 hour response. Sweet talked him into moving us up to midmorning but the point is my tenants have been inconvenienced to say the least.
Do I owe the tenants anything to acknowledge their pain? Nobody is making any demands, just want to know what others do. Thanks for any responses.
No sure I understand: he put a temporary patch on it last night? Then why didn't he turn the water back on? Isn't that the point of a patch?
Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
10y
@Andrew S. that was my reaction too but he's the expert. I don't know how much you want to argue with a plumber at 10:30 pm. Figured the price would drastically go up for the job. Thanks @Jeff B. . Gift cards are being considered. Unfortunately had a similar situation at our building next door earlier this week. That means 40 gift cards if I go that route.
Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by :
Thanks @Jeff B. . Gift cards are being considered. Unfortunately had a similar situation at our building next door earlier this week. That means 40 gift cards if I go that route.
That's better that 40 notices of move-outs!
Remember, it's cheaper and more effective to KEEP a tenant than to replace one.
Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
10y
@Christine Swaidan, as J Beard suggested gift cards are a good idea and your tenants will remember your kind gesture when deciding whether or not to renew their lease. However, you may want to consider taking preventative action in these types of emergencies. Purchase one or two 5-7 gallon opaque water containers (you can get them at Wal-Mart for about $8-$9) and provide them to your tenant. Fill the containers with water to have on hand for situations such as this. This will also save you time if the water is shut off for longer periods than a day and you find yourself having to truck water in from Alhambra.
HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
10y
I would just keep them informed. As far as a gift, I wouldn't, life happens. Sounds like your on top of it, taking care of business. That should keep them satisfied. Good luck.
Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
9y
Thanks for the input @Penny Clark and @Kevin Manz I did purchase 40 gift cards to the grocery store. These are mostly low income seniors and I know it will be appreciated. I've given gift cards in the past for individual tenants that have had to deal with what is usually plumbing issues in addition to giving rental discounts when I had to tear out a wall to correct mold issues from a leak. We have old plumbing. But I've never done anything this widespread. I have a number of residents that were given rent increases to start October 1 so I was also thinking about that fact.
Penny Clark, your suggestion about the water containers might be a good idea. So are you saying we keep the empty containers and just bring them out to use in a building when there is work being done or give each unit a container. The thought of trucking water in scares me to death! Have you had to do that?
Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
9y
You could either provide them to your residents to have on site or keep them in storage until needed. If you give them to residents, instruct them where to store the containers. As long as the containers are opaque and filled with treated water, they should be good for a year or two without changing out the water.
Real Estate Broker · CA · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 226 votes
9y
Well I have my own guys but when I didn't and If I had 20 units and no water I am finding a different plumber who can fix it right now. I mean you posted this on a weekday, not Sunday at 10 pm.
Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
9y
@Matt H. If you have any insight as to how to find plumbers that show up when you call them and do the job properly the first time I'm listening. Plumbing is our weak link. I'm at a loss. I am not impressed with the service that I have received. Both nighttime calls were responded to by turning the water off, and saying that they would return in the morning with the proper parts to do repairs. One of our bigger expenses because we own old properties is plumbing and I have tried without success to establish good contacts.
I contacted my general contractor asking him if he had any recommendations. "Not really. I'm trying some new contractors."
I called a company with an 800 number. They took all my information and then called back 30 minutes later to say they don't work on multi-families.
The small local guy doesn't necessary answer his phone after hours.
The guy that I have used for years doesn't want these bigger jobs either.
I tried the two man company. They have been perfectly willing to do my jobs at a premium price but when I've called for any type of emergency it's always "next Tuesday".
Real Estate Broker · CA · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 226 votes
9y
Okay so quite a few things here. This assumes you live in area where there are a lot of people, which you do. I triage things in order of importance. No water is pretty high up there. Higher than no hot water for instance. And 20 units of no water is a bigger deal than an SFR or a 4 unit. Those are a little easier to talk with tenants about. I still want them fixed asap. But 20 units no water has me pretty close to high alert. Someone coming out and turning the water off at night and saying they will return in the morning is reasonable. No problem there. But now you've field a lot of calls/texts and you've told everybody it'll be back on in the AM right? So I would tell the plumber "Sounds great, I'll meet you here at 8am? Oh you're picking up parts, fine I'll meet you at 8:45." That may or may not work. And while standing out in front of my building at 9 am when he is no show I start making calls. I would say I have 20-25 plumbers stored in my phone I've used over the years. All tradesman are of varying quality and all have some vice or shortcoming, that's the way life is. But at this point you're in a pinch, so it doesn't matter. Whoever will show up first. If that fails I hop on angie's list, craigslist, or any sort of list and just start calling till someone shows up.
I don't like big companies for anything because I hate being on hold, not being able to talk to someone that can do anything, and if I end up using them more often not having the decent amount of work I can provide give me any sway.
And the reason I have 20-25 plumbers in my phone is I try them out when it doesn't matter. As I said they are all good and bad for various reasons, but you'll find some are better priced on large or small jobs etc. I have 3 full time guys now that all can do plumbing but still have all those numbers just in case.
Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
9y
Appreciate the advice. My situation MAY be different--or not. I'm not trying to argue here--truly want to gain some knowledge. I know nothing about plumbing and definitely have lots to learn about property management. These particular units are in smaller community, 25 miles from city of Ventura. So not everyone is anxious to make that commute.
The water heaters we use are humongous and we have two servicing each building that are connected together in a line. One building has only one boiler (six years old) and I have nightmares about how to replace that one when it goes bad. I don't know if that makes a plumber's job more difficult but there must be some reason why the one company doesn't work on multi-families.
Believe me, I lost sleep over these two events. That's why a plumber was called after hours. I fully expected when we got someone out there that the job would be done. Otherwise I would have told the manager to shut off the water and call someone in the morning--less expensive. And if you think I wasn't calling other companies when the guy was telling me he would be late you are wrong.
I do know that what I'm doing isn't working very well. What I'm getting from you is that I need to broaden my pool. Have more contacts to call. I'll work on that.
Also thinking of having an assessment done of existing plumbing and seeing if we can be more proactive and maybe have fewer emergencies.
Realtor · Sequim WA & Port Angeles, WA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 78 votes
9y
I always like to have a few different plumbers, not the 800 number guys but a local one or two or three or four. I used to manage multi-family so I know about the chaos that ensues whenever there is a problem. I have had to deal with several (over 60) units having no hot water for over a week and it's no fun (boiler troubles). All I can say is I hope you got it resolved and it's a good lesson to build relationships with multiple vendors so this never happens to you again or if it does you have a bunch of vendors familiar with your property who know how to tackle the problem and get it fixed quickly.
Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
9y
$400 in gift cards - I don't think it's necessary. I would have used the $400 to pay the plumber a premium to get the water on that night he patched it.
Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
9y
@John Weidner I would have gladly paid the plumber the $400. He said he needed parts that he would get in the morning. Since the same company did this to me twice in one week I'm guessing that that is their policy--advertise 24/7, send the on call guy out, tell customer parts are needed and will return at a reasonable hour to fix--don't give a s**t about the fact that they are leaving customers without water. Curious if this is a typical way that plumbing companies handle their business.
My game plan. I have gathered names of local companies that advertise commercial and 24/7 (thank you @Jeff B.) and will start interviewing tomorrow. Have some pipes that look like they have seen better days and get a good candidate started this week to establish a working relationship.
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9y
Ok , you own the building next door . It has water . Go buy a garden hose and a washing machine hose . Turn off the main in the leaky building , then attach the hose to a hose bib on 1 building , the washing machine hoes allows you to attach the other end of the hose to a hose bib on the second building . Turn on water . I have done this many times . Now its not an emergency .
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
9y
Here's maybe a slightly different approach that might help you moving forward with emergencies.
Place an ad for an all around handyman or contractor that will work when emergencies pop up 24/7. Discuss with them what you need, some of your biggest frustrations and fears with the upkeep of your properties and how imperative it is to have someone that can be on-site quickly to handle a wide variety of issues. This way you have one or two people you can count on ahead of time to be there when you need them most. A slightly more proactive approach than a "stab in the dark" calling a ton of random people when the emergency pops up. when interviewing them ask them to walk you through the steps to solve problems you've already been through. If they make excuses or can figure things on the fly keep looking. A go getter will be invaluable to your business.
Also, a local plumbers union might have some recommendations for some young hungry workers that would love the work. Many times they have job boards they can post your "help wanted" ad.
Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2016 · 264 posts · 70 votes
9y
@Steve Baylor Thanks for the advice. I've learned a few things this week as I was trying to make sure we would not run into this problem again.
Mostly I learned that these apartments are in a crappy location. Too far out of main towns (25 miles) and the town itself is too small to have any competition for tradespeople.
This is what I have done. Contacted the only plumber in town who we have used off and on for years. I told him that I would like to use him but only if he is willing to handle my emergencies. Some of the work done by his company has been mediocre at best and I went through some issues that caused me to call others in. He will get all my business and will respond to emergencies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.