Require applicant to give access to their social media accounts?

Require applicant to give access to their social media accounts?

Property Manager · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 33 votes

When screening tenants, in addition to running a credit report, checking landlord references, and checking bad tenant databases I also try to check the applicant's social media accounts. Some people have their accounts as public and some are set to private so I can't find it or see any activity.

I check the social media profiles to see if they have any pets or excessive partying lifestyles because some of the units are in quiet areas with mostly elderly people living there and there is a strict no-pets policy. 

Would it be ok and legal to require all applicants to connect their social media accounts with me so I can get access to their social media profiles even if they are set to private?

It would work very similar to BP Connections

The applicant won't need to tell me their password, they will just need to connect to their social media profiles. I will be able to view their social media profiles without becoming their friend/follower. If they don't submit them and I find out that they have social media profiles that they didn't submit, I will disqualify them.

Am I crazy for going this far with tenant screening? Would anyone else want to be able to do this too?

1Reply
240 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
9y

One of the best pieces of advice I got from a friend who has lots of rentals, 

is to drop by, unannounced, after they get home from work, where the applicant currently lives, to get a "signature" that was "missed". 

He could then see how the folks ran their day to day life and then knew what his property would be like under their care. If it is total chaos, expect the same in your property. If you are really bold you can ask "to use the bathroom" while you're there. 

I've seen (and smelled) some really dreadful things in bedrooms with open doors going down the hall to the bathroom. Remember: This is your future retirement you are talking about. To them it's just another rental.

See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    And when they tell you they dont use social media , what do you do ?

  • Wholesaler · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    It's not a bad idea, but I don't see it working well in any aspect:

    1) Anyone savvy with social media can "ACCEPT" you request and just limit what you can see as an "ACQUAINTANCE" or simply make their profile invisible to anyone but those who know their contact info (of which they can give you different).

    2) Could be a turn off for anyone that has privacy concerns. That being said, most individuals with severe privacy concerns don't have social media.

    I see no legal ramifications for having this in the contract but in all honesty, are you really going to keep track of it? Is it worth your time?

    Just give the neighbors your contact info and tell them if they continuous infract against rules to call the police if they are a nuisance and even include a nuisance clause in the contract.

  • Property Manager · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Matthew Paul if they say that they don't have social media and I find out that they do have social media. I will disqualify them for lying on the application. If they really don't have any social media accounts. It's ok. I think there are more people who don't have a credit history then those who don't have any kind of social media.

  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    9y

    I don't think you could require it.

    For one thing, not everyone has a social media presence.  For another, lots of people don't even use their real names for various (some even legit) reasons.  How would you even find out they had an account and didn't tell you about it?  It is very easy to block people...

    I prefer to look for them online anyways, and see if they check out or not.  

  • Property Manager · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Richard Wormwood thanks for sharing what you think about it. This is only when I screen tenants to see if I would accept them to live at my rental. 

    I would require them to share access to their profile as part of the application. So if they block their profile form me, I will disqualify their application.

  • Wholesaler · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Vitaliy Merkulov They could easily take down or limit their account as soon as they read that clause in the account. It would take a tech savvy person about ten minutes to strip their profile down to "acceptable" by any person's standards.

    Just so you know.

    It's a good idea and will undoubtedly save you from some headaches.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    One of the best pieces of advice I got from a friend who has lots of rentals, 

    is to drop by, unannounced, after they get home from work, where the applicant currently lives, to get a "signature" that was "missed". 

    He could then see how the folks ran their day to day life and then knew what his property would be like under their care. If it is total chaos, expect the same in your property. If you are really bold you can ask "to use the bathroom" while you're there. 

    I've seen (and smelled) some really dreadful things in bedrooms with open doors going down the hall to the bathroom. Remember: This is your future retirement you are talking about. To them it's just another rental.

  • Investor · Sierra Vista, AZ · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 126 votes
    9y

    It would be easier to evict them for unauthorized pets or disturbing the neighbors than for lying about their social media account.  I would be a little creeped out if I had to give someone access to a private social media account.  I didn't even need to do that to get a government security clearance.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John A.:

    It would be easier to evict them for unauthorized pets or disturbing the neighbors than for lying about their social media account.  I would be a little creeped out if I had to give someone access to a private social media account.  I didn't even need to do that to get a government security clearance.

     That's because the government already has it. ;-)  

  • Investor · Sierra Vista, AZ · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 126 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed  :-)

  • Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2017 · 302 posts · 123 votes
    9y

    im exploring using IDME is a (Social Media reputation system )or a Blockchain reputation system for landlords instead of FICA scores since a positive Rental payment is all we care about the FICA is mostly used for Banks and does not indicate if someone would be a good tenant. Just the opposite my worst Tenant ever had the best credit score id ever seen. The credit scores are easily manipulated by his uncle who worked for a large bank. We ask if they want to pay for a credit check $35 or a IDMR account $4.50 most then pick the least cost method IDME collects the social media id and tracks if I automate the Rent collection with instant I'm alerted if they miss a weekly payment before the rent is due. 

  • Investor · Allentown, PA · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 69 votes
    9y

    Although I'm not sure how I feel about the original question posed here, I do know that it's NEVER easier to evict someone than it is to just disqualify them up front for any suspicion you may have about them.

  • Investor · Sierra Vista, AZ · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 126 votes
    9y

    Most of the bad applicants are proud to show off their lifestyles on social media to the public.  Recently, I saw a young man ask if anyone would rent to him since he had a felony.  I checked his profile page.  It had a picture of him in a mask, holding up an AK 47.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Hhhmmm... Something you learned at Trump University?

    ... or just looking for another way to discriminate? Hope you have a good attorney ...

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    One of the best pieces of advice I got from a friend who has lots of rentals, 

    is to drop by, unannounced, after they get home from work, where the applicant currently lives, to get a "signature" that was "missed". 

    He could then see how the folks ran their day to day life and then knew what his property would be like under their care. If it is total chaos, expect the same in your property. If you are really bold you can ask "to use the bathroom" while you're there. 

    I've seen (and smelled) some really dreadful things in bedrooms with open doors going down the hall to the bathroom. Remember: This is your future retirement you are talking about. To them it's just another rental.

    Yep! That is a good suggestion. I've also heard of some bold landlords going to their work place to confirm with their boss that they really work there.

    Before that even, I can get a sense by looking at the car they pull up in for the showing appointment ... I don't mean it has to be fancy or anything like that, but if it is filthy inside and out, bumper held on with duct tape, is overflowing with trash, disgaurded fast food wrappers, etc., you'll then know how your rental unit would look after a year with them.

    I'm all for checking out public sites on social media ... but I wouldn't ask to "friend" them :)

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 119 posts · 64 votes
    9y

    That is intense...

    I look up everyone who applies on social media, but I would never ask for their permission to access their accounts.

  • Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    @Vitaliy Merkulov By all means search for what people post publicly. On the topic of requiring them to give you access, frankly, whatever you would find even if someone did give that information to you - that is none of your business. I don't criticize you personally, after all you are asking for others opinions (before?) you try this. I do however criticize the idea as it gives us landlords a bad name and to me, personally, I feel that something as intrusive as that is un-American.
  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Vitaliy Merkulov I like the idea but think it will backfire. Since the person likely won't give you immediate access while you stand together, they'll have time to clean up their profile knowing you are going to review it.

    By not asking and just searching for what is publicly available, you get the real version. Multiple times I've found some very revealing photos and information. Like the new "crib" he's about to get will be the new "spot to light up". Or the pictures with dope and cash. Someone with the majority of friends throwing gang signs in their profile pics. 3 or 4 non-disclosed pets in photos from the previous day, and the list goes on. Sooo many people still don't expect you'll look, let alone find, their social media profiles.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Jacobs:

    @Vitaliy Merkulov

    By all means search for what people post publicly.

    On the topic of requiring them to give you access, frankly, whatever you would find even if someone did give that information to you - that is none of your business.

    I don't criticize you personally, after all you are asking for others opinions (before?) you try this.

    I do however criticize the idea as it gives us landlords a bad name and to me, personally, I feel that something as intrusive as that is un-American.

     Un-American? Having the freedom to request this info as part of the free market, not restricted by the gov't, is about as American as it gets. We're not talking North-Korea where anyone is forced to disclose any info - if they are uncomfortable they can simply move on to find another unit. Just like someone with bad credit, or a criminal record.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Interesting but we don't require it.

  • Northeast, WI · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    I don't like the idea of requiring or even asking for it. That seems very strange and might make even good people who have nothing to hide feel uncomfortable. I don't see anything wrong with you looking them up otherwise. Just to try to get candid information but not to require it or even mention it on the application.
  • Real Estate Broker · IL · Member since 2016 · 284 posts · 178 votes
    9y
    Looking them up is one thing. Having them add you so you can see their profile is a little far in my opinion. Best of luck though!
  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Vitaliy Merkulov,

    I don't think I would. I feel like I would be requiring their religious/sexual preferences as well as political views as a disclosure. When I have a form they fill out, I control what information I receive. When I demand entry into their private life, the information I find is no longer in my control and you have to be very careful about what you do with that information. You now have 400 posts stating their sexual preference and familial status and one with a picture of a dog in it.

    While sure most will just walk away, the one that doesn't is bringing a federal case (not some little BBB complaint or bad yelp review). By requiring access you give them the control over what you know.  

    Bet of luck in whatever you decide.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Vitaliy Merkulov,

    As a landlord, your objectives are to make sure they have the capacity to pay you rent, and to check things like credit/background, not social media, that's their personal lives.   This sounds very invasive, and would really creep me out if I applied somewhere and it was a requirement, not to mention the basic common sense of giving them a limited profile.

     From my experience,  the good applicants often have theirs very private, and the bad ones tend to be very public and you can see everything as they don't make their pages private.

    If you are worried about them lying, why not put a strong pet clause in your lease?  We have one, where if they bring a pet in without getting approval, it's a $250 fine, along with the pet deposit if accepted.    You may up yours to like $500, and make it clear to the tenants.    Most people know if they will or won't pass,and magically disappear if they won't..   So just button up your lease more!  Focus on employment history, and the background check!

  • Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    As a landlord trying to protect my interests even I find this asking too much. I wonder if requiring access to social media would stand up to a legal challenge?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.