• Investor
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
Can't collect rent on time

Jonathan VanderPloeg
  • Investor
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Posted Apr 28 2017, 09:31
This question is more geared towards my fellow Canadian landlords since our laws are different from other countries. I'm currently in a small town outside of Ottawa Ontario. When my wife and I took over our rental property last month we met with each tenant and told them we would be collecting rent a day or two before the 1st of each month. I recently called one of my tenants and told him I would be by tomorrow to collect Mays rent since the 1st would be 2 days away. His response caught me by surprise when he said he would not have the rent payment for tomorrow. So I asked him when he would have it? To which he replied I will have it on the 1st. I said we had discussed this earlier that rent is due before the 1st of each month, not on the 1st. He said nope it's due the first, that's how it is. I replied with what I had told him earlier about collecting prior and he just came back with his 1st comment. So I politely ended the conversation since I knew it was going now where. Some other pertinent info, this tenant is on a verbal month to month lease. And he also pays well below market value for his unit since he has been living there for over 5 years. I would classify him as a professional renter. What are my rights as a landlord in this situation vs his rights as a tenant? Do I just collect the rent on the 1st, then say since your on a verbal lease your new monthly lease stats that you must have rent prior to the 1st moving forward? Or do I have to give him X amount of days notice of this change? Any in site would be greatly appreciated

Loading replies...