Really Bad Neighbor, Let Me Hear Your Opinions!

Really Bad Neighbor, Let Me Hear Your Opinions!

Marshfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 5 votes

Hi BP,

Hope everyone is doing well as we get ready for summer. 

Let's cut to the chase- my team recently acquired a two-family home in my area, and we do a lot of our own renovations and all of the management. The property is on a small street, and three other houses share my driveway to get to their homes. The first day I was there, the neighbor, this guy, in his fifties, couldn't wait to jump all over me and borderline interrogate me with question after question. I introduced myself naturally, and he just kept hammering me with questions alongside a HUGE attitude. Without saying hello, he asked me who lives here, are you licensed, do you know where the property lines are... Sure, I just showed up and began working on this property, but the guy went further on by saying "Everybody's watching you. I'm watching you. I'm calling the police the first peep I hear out of this house." He was incredibly rude about the entire thing. And to say everybody is watching me? Man, I'd like to meet them! This guy couldn't speak for himself. If we're being real here, he had a pretty threatening voice and body language. The next time I saw him he was literally waiting outside in his yard for me. He then went off again about all of the same crap, and he even recited my home address to me, which I never gave him (anyone can find out where you live on public records). Every time I voiced back to him, I was polite, (don't you think you would want to have a good relationship with neighbors to only benefit you and them both???) He was literally trying to scare me into playing by his rules. I'm not going to let this guy make up his own rules and tell me what I can and cannot do with my own property.

I am yet to meet the other two neighbors that use my driveway. I want to know what they are like, because they must know that this guy behaves like a total idiot. I am concerned for a few reasons. The first being that as soon as I start renovating this guy is going to complain about noise all of the time. Secondly, he's going to call the police on whoever I put in there, no matter who they are, harass our tenants, and hurt our investment. He's an incredibly nosy person. At this point in time I had never had to deal with a neighbor like this guy. I do this for a living, and I know how beneficial it can be to make good with neighbors right from the beginning. This guy wasn't even considering it. Opinions? I've considered filing a complaint against him. I've heard that usually the first person to file a complaint against another is usually the one who has the upper hand in court.

Also, I'm having the land surveyed to get up-to-date property landmarks, because it hasn't been done in over 30 years.

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 156 votes
9y

or have a friend play the part of a buyer with the  non profit called 2 strikes isn't out. Their mission is to provide housing to multiple time felons at an affordable rate. Then tell the neighbor that you wouldn't even consider it, except that he's making your investment harder than need be. If he backs off, you'll keep the place 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Steve Porcello,

    Do you have a "persuasive" friend of your own? Perhaps it's time for the immovable object to meet the irresistible force. My ex-brother-in-law knew how to pose in a pinstripe suit such that you knew you didn't want to mess with him.

    Then again, you could go back there armed with the documents showing that you own the property, not him. Does he own where he lives? If not, maybe you can complain to his landlord as well as filing a complaint with law enforcement.

    You may want to consider approaching the local enforcement and have them meet you out there to "read the guy the riot act".

  • Investor · San Jose, CA, Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 327 posts · 257 votes
    9y

    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a similar situation in the past with one of my buy & holds; long story short I ended up just selling the property to get rid of the headache 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Next time you see him hand him one of your lawyers business cards and advise him to have his lawyer call your lawyer if he has any questions. Say nothing else just turn and walk away.

    If he continues to behave like an A Hole you may be forced to sell.

  • Marshfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @David Dachtera

    I'm interested to see where this goes. He owns the property that he lives in, and selling another one across the street. It's for sale by owner, and it's incredibly overpriced, not that it matters. Maybe he'll list his own house soon and I won't have to worry about him.

    @Christian Wathne 

    Ah. We literally just closed on this property, and we are still moving forward to getting some great tenants to live in it. My team is doing everything in our power to attract respectful tenants to live in our property. I suppose we'll see how we feel about this guy in a short period of time.

    @Thomas S.

    I'm not too interested in answering any more of this guy's questions. I'm there to do my job, not get harassed. I'm communicating with my attorney to get an opinion from the pros.

    Keep the experiences coming. I want to hear from someone who was able to hold onto their investment without being forced to sell. I know you are out there! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Steve Porcello,

    Another option you might explore is whether you can get a restraining order against this nut. If he harasses you again, you can have him arrested.

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    9y

    My husband had a weird experience with a neighbor for a SFH we rent out. My husband was over at that property trimming the limbs off one of the trees. The neighbor came out and wanted him to take down the tree in the backyard. This particular tree does not in anyway impede on this person. Neither the roots nor the branches go over the property line. Not even close.

    My husband asked him why he wanted the tree removed and he said that rats come out of it at night.  Never mind there is a 13 acre vacant lot with trees, bushes, and even a stream behind all of those houses on that block.  Plus my tenant has never complained about rats.

    My husband nicely explained that, although we don't care about the tree one way or the other, it is too big for him to remove it himself and a tree care company would need to be called.  So, sorry, but we won't be removing the tree.

    The guy complains again and starts getting angry.  My husband told him, if he wanted to hire a licensed/insured tree service to remove the tree, we could discuss that.  At that, this guy blew up and started swearing.  That we weren't being "neighborly" and he "knows about our house and is going to have a building inspector come out".  We have NO idea what that last comment was referring to, lol.  In fact, that particular tenant is on Section 8 and the house is inspected annually anyway.

    Fortunately, that was the first and last time we've ever interacted or heard from that neighbor.

    I don't know what to tell you other than to keep being polite and reasonable.  Unfortunately, crazy/angry people are going to be crazy/angry people.  I like the idea of handing this person your attorney's business card and have him address his "problems" to your lawyer.

    Something else I would potentially do, if the harassment continues, is give him notice that he is not allowed on your property.  That you will be forced to call the police for trespassing, if he does it again.

    I have a friend who was trying to sell her house, but she has a dispute with one of her neighbors about their shared fence.  This neighbor harassed my friend's buyer during the inspection and the buyer pulled out.  She warned the neighbor to stay off her property or she would call the police in the future.  That warning was enough and, when a different buyer came for their inspection, the neighbor was home but did not come outside this time.  My friend's next step was going to be a restraining order but, luckily that was not necessary.

  • Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 156 votes
    9y

    Tell him if he doesn't back off you're going to make your house as ugly as allowable by law, usually there's no ordanace against Kawasaki green. Then you're going to move in the worst tenants you can find. Ask if you are more than  500' from a school.  Good luck selling your house now! Or we can handle this a better way.  I fix this place up, put a quality tenant in here and we all live happily ever after.

  • Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 156 votes
    9y

    or have a friend play the part of a buyer with the  non profit called 2 strikes isn't out. Their mission is to provide housing to multiple time felons at an affordable rate. Then tell the neighbor that you wouldn't even consider it, except that he's making your investment harder than need be. If he backs off, you'll keep the place 

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    2 strikes isn't out..... LOL

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @Steve Porcello

    I'd play a boarding house angle. You can play it in a few different ways. 

    1. Friendly suggestion. Hey buddy, just because I like you, you may want to consider selling your place, before my contract with the department of corrections gets finalized. They are offering me a boat load of money to rent rooms to ex cons. 

    2. Have a member of your team talk to the neighbor. I am Jack, Steve's partner in this deal. I was really exited about this house. But after Steve met you, he doesn't want to manage place himself, wants to turn it over to "2 strikes isn't out". I am terrified about what they can do to the property, can you please work your differences out with Steve?, and i will see to it, this place gets an excellent tenants.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I'm struggling with this as well and would love some advice!  

  • Marshfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Quick update on this:

    We had the property surveyed, and the neighbor actually has a huge stone wall in the middle of the easement, totally narrowing the right of way by over three feet. It's set up a certain way where if I wanted to put a fence up, legally, on my land, the right of way would be too narrow for anybody to fit through because of this guy's stone wall.

    We are considering making him move his wall after all his snotty behavior. The surveyor even told me that he is probably just mad that he didn't buy the house when it got listed because he could then 'dominate' every house on the right of way on his own terms.

    Does anybody have experience with having a neighbor building stuff on easements/your land and requesting to take it down? We have every right to make him move it.

  • Investor · Grosse Pointe Shores, MI · Member since 2017 · 160 posts · 74 votes
    9y

    @Steve Porcello Be sure you find out about the adverse possession laws in your state.

  • Marshfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Katherine S. I'm on it! 

    We're in good shape right now. My team is moving forward with the rehab. I will let you all know where we are in the near future on this one. 

    -Steve

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Simply have your attorney send him a letter with the  new survey showing the blocked easement/ right of way and state correction is needed to remove the stone wall to permit complete access across the easement right of way and this needs to be corrected within 45 days. ... anything in your title work about the easement..

     1.neighbor was jerk we had lot survey for a addition we put on, found out our fence was 4 inches over lot line for about 15 feet on a 75 foot length of fencing,, they made us tear it down. 

    2. We shared a driveway,, our 6 plex, their 4 plex, inner city,, we had larger share of area on driveway about 7 feet width,, he had about 4 width,, no way anyone could really stick to one side,, the houses were side by side and driveway between, when it came to fixing the asphalt he said NO.. we had to call city have the driveway condemned before he would agree to pay for 1/2 the cost of repairs... we made him pay us before any work started so we knew the money would be paid.. and then we paid contractor..  a couple of letters from attorney and was all done but he was a total jerk,, when we went to sell first buyer backed out because of driveway,, second was ok with it..  snow removal was always a hassle and glad building is gone we had bldg for over 60 years,, and that neighbor for 20..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.