Too Long from first point of Contact until Lease Signing?

Too Long from first point of Contact until Lease Signing?

Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes

How long do you average from the first point of contact until you have a signed lease? We are currently interviewing for leasing one of our units and I am wanting to know what most people are averaging.

We have had several inquiries and after pre-approval invited a few to a group showing. Out of the bunch, we had one couple who was really interested and they filled out an application. The credit history, background check, salary verification, references and eviction history all came back good so we approved them.

We had a couple of small items we wanted to finish before signing the lease and turning over the apartment, so we agreed to meet at the apartment two days after the approval to sign the lease and collect their deposit and rent money for the first and last month.

Anyhow, tonight they sent an email indicating that they had changed their mind and would not be renting the apartment.

Looking back at my email history, from our first point of contact until the cancelled, it has been 6 days. They were going to sign the lease on the 7th day after we first began communication.

Is that too long of a period? Should I have made it a point to meet with them and collect a deposit to hold it until the lease was signed? If so, how would this have been handled or was I correct in just waiting until lease signing?

0Reply
157 views

Most Popular Reply

Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
9y

I wouldn't screen anyone for a showing based on Fair Housing concerns. Everyone has the right to look and reply. 

Once paid to do a screening you should really have it done within a day and have a firm date from tenant for payment of the deposit. It never hurts to collect a deposit at the time of application - always ask, some will be willing. If they don't meet your requirements it's very easy to give the money back. Remember you collect only cash and pay all refunds via check.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    9y
    I always meet prospective tenants at my office to do the credit and background check. I approve them on the spot or reject them based on this information. If they pass I have them sign the lease and get all of the money upfront. This takes them "off the market" because until they give you money, they will keep looking. In your case since you had a couple of days worth of work to do, just start their lease 2 days later.
  • Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
    9y

    I wouldn't screen anyone for a showing based on Fair Housing concerns. Everyone has the right to look and reply. 

    Once paid to do a screening you should really have it done within a day and have a firm date from tenant for payment of the deposit. It never hurts to collect a deposit at the time of application - always ask, some will be willing. If they don't meet your requirements it's very easy to give the money back. Remember you collect only cash and pay all refunds via check.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Prospective tenants are flakey. Make the time frame as soon as possible and make sure they have a set time from offering the apartment to a deposit usually 24-48 hours. Never stop showing until you have a deposit. Another thing I am finding is that you need at least a backup application. It is the application processing that needs to be quick and also from offering to acceptance. If the lease occupancy date is a week out vs a month you need to be quicker. what you find is people don't give thier previous landlord notice or don't know thier current obligations and then change thier mind.
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    I've had prospective tenants quick pay their deposit. Leases were emailed, signed and sent back in a matter of a couple hours.
  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    immediately after approving take a non refundable reservation fee of the first month's rent. give a reservation contract back. now they are locked in. I sign the lease on move in day.
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Ted Klein once they have vowed the property and are interested, they fill out an application and give a holding deposit while being processed. After they are approved, they must sign lease with 48 hours. All my move ins depending on when property becomes vacant, 2 weeks to one month at the longest for vacancy and move in. 

    If they sign the lease and fail to move in, their holding deposit gets forfeited. 

  • Investor · Carnegie, PA · Member since 2014 · 259 posts · 144 votes
    9y

    @Ted Klein from first point of contact to lease approval, it's about 2-3 days depending on a scheduled time to see the apartment. Once approved, we get a deposit to hold within 24 hours, and a lease signed within 72 hours. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Actually,, If i'm pretty sure the applicant will pass,, I collect the holding fee / security deposit .. I have applicant pre sign the lease and all documents.. and I mail out copy or they can stop back and pick it up.. I don't sign lease until all is approved.

    Otherwise holding fee / security deposit paid at application, 48 hours to return and sign the approved lease with full deposit paid.. 

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    @Jim Shepard What are you using to do your background screening? Does this return eviction reports as well?

    @JR T. Unless I am wrong, I believe I am able to prescreen everyone regardless of Fair Housing as long as I don't discriminate in a protected class. Smokers are not a protected class, stating no pets doesn't discriminate against anyone and requiring adequate salary to pay the rent isn't a problem either as far as I know since it is not a section 8 property. Can you elaborate on what your concern is?

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    @Colleen F. It sounds like I just didn't act quick enough, these were "model tenants" and given that I didn't act soon enough to @Jim Shepard "take them off of the market" I suspect they just kept looking and found something else and were quickly accepted and signed. I have been continuing to show but to my mistake, I didn't collect a deposit when I had a bite.
    @Account Closed How are you having them "quick pay their deposit"? Cash only?

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    @Curt Smith How is you reservation contract structured? Are their timelines where the remaining funds and lease agreement must be paid or they loose the fee? Do you happen to have a copy of this that you could share?

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    @Kim Meredith Hampton You mentioned that they "give a holding deposit" How much are you requiring for this deposit? Is this a non refundable fee in case they change their minds as happened in my case.
    @Deanna McCormick I really like your approach, so they have basically pre signed the documents at the showing and then you are doing your background checks? How is a pre signing handled? If they have signed the lease then isn't that sufficient, or are they just returning to get the copy with your signature? Please elaborate

    If all works out then you sign the lease and they

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all the great replies, It looks like I clearly gave the applicant too much time and let them get away. Any clarification or additional methods to facilitate a quick turn around would be greatly appreciated.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @ Tad Klein

    At showing usually both parties if a couple or roommates are all there,, so if they like the place and submit applications,  I have them all pre sign all lease paperwork, addendum's, ect.. pending the status of application approval.. They pay the application fees, and pay the holding / security deposit a separate payment,, I wait to counter sign until all is approved,, once they are approved, I call let them know approved, I Sign paperwork and tell them either to stop back and pick up the lease or I will mail out their copy.. 

    If they don't want to pre sign I give them 48 hours to come back and sign the lease if approved on application credit check. Honestly you could do 24 hours with approval the quicker they are back the better...!!

    People Shop and what's to keep them from going down the block and putting in another application. Get them signed up and seal the deal ASAP..

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Ted Klein the holding deposit is the same amount as your security deposit 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kim Meredith Hampton:

    @Ted Klein the holding deposit is the same amount as your security deposit 

    I never take a security deposit without giving a signed lease. Why do you, if they're approved? Under what circumstances would they get it back?

    I agree with the general advice of get it done quickly. I lost a tenant once like that and learned my lesson. Tenant moving in Thursday made me nervous since she was from out of town and delayed a couple of days, but it was relatively early in the month so I was confident I'd rent it.

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Sorry, I don't know how to use the "@" yet. Regarding your question about quick pay, that is the name for Chase's electronic money transfer. Depending on the bank you use or your tenant uses the money transfer will have different names.  My bank uses the clear Xchange system. If your tenant has a bank account (or prospective tenant) they should have that option to pay from their phone. Often, I won't take any money (deposits or credit check fees) until all their paperwork is in. They can then quick pay those fees without me going to meet them somewhere.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Ted Klein  PM me I'll email you my reservation contract.  No big deal, it just says your reservation fee (full months rent) is non refundable and forefit if you do not move in by date _______.  The landlord will hold the rental at _________________ till date___________  after which you've lost your reservation fee and the property will be put back onto the market.

    IE it actually gives the prospect rights to get the property, and sets expectations what they must do to not loose the fee,,,, IE move in by date.

  • Real Estate Agent · Souderton, PA · Member since 2016 · 591 posts · 414 votes
    9y
    1 day. They are pre approved over the phone so I know they qualify unless they were lying. They already like the unit since they saw he great pictures online and asked to see it in person. I usually have multiple applications so it's a matter of choosing the best one and signing the lease. We provide complexity renovated units slightly above market value in a area with very small if non existent inventory, and we mostly rent to college students or professionals so their are more tenants than units. It comes down to product, location, price, supply and demand and then knowing how to pre qualify over the phone so only actual potential renters ever step foot in the unit.
  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Ted Klein I don't stop showing until I have a signed lease in-hand. Wayyy too many times I'll hear during the showing "This is beautiful, I'll take it and bring the rent asap" etc etc. Then after 24-48 hrs I approve them and never get a call back or get told they can't drop off the deposit for x days (I send my leases via docusign so there is no excuse there). For an awesome applicant, I'll pound them hard for about a day, but if I don't get a reply I move on.

    And again, during that time I continue to accept applications. I tell all that if they are that serious about wanting the unit, they can leave me a non-refundable deposit to hold the unit...never happens because of the demographic I work with.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I tell have aapprval or denial within 24 hours, after I tell them they have been approved, they have 24 hours to get a "holding deposit" or the full move in costs.  I tell them if you don't bring it I will go with the next person. I have only had one flake on me.

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    9y
    Ted Klein I use "tenantbackgroundsearch.com" for credit checks & background searches. They offer 3 different levels of searches that cost $20 to 30 per applicant. If they use a Lifelock type of program, they need to turn it off. Tenant reimburses me upfront for the cost.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.