When do I worry about missing tenant?

When do I worry about missing tenant?

Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes

Hi all,  I hope someone has some good suggestions for a possibly missing tenant situation.  We have a tenant who moved in just before May 1st.  We did lots of due diligence - past landlords, personal references, confirmed his employment.  Everything seemed great.  He's a single man in his 50's and a CPA.  He's on the company website and it's a verifiable company.

He paid his security deposit and first months rent and then moved in.  He bought some new furniture and did some work in the yard.  He seemed to be settling in well.

Last Wednesday, I texted him a reminder to include his move in checklist with his rent.  If he had already mailed a check, I said we'd stop by on Saturday to pick up the checklist.  He replied that he'd call with a good time on Saturday.

The rent didn't arrive on the 1st and when I texted on Saturday about the move in checklist.  I didn't get a reply.

I figured I'd wait until Monday, to see if rent arrived in the mail.  No rent.  I emailed and called but there was no response and the phone went straight to voicemail.  Later, I emailed his work and personal email but did not get a response.

Today (Tuesday), I've called a few times and texted once.  Calls went straight to voicemail and I didn't get a text back.  I called his work and the receptionist said he wasn't in today, but put me through to his voicemail.

My husband stopped by after work.  There was a car in the driveway and a torn screen.  The lawn hasn't been mowed in a week or so, I imagine.  There was minimal mail in the mailbox.

Now it's the 6th, so rent is clearly late, but I'm also concerned about him.  This is a quality neighborhood.  The neighbors are also accountants and nurses.  

Should we go in?  Text 24 hours notice and then go in?  Talk to his company HR to see if he's been at work?  Call his personal references?  Send the late rent letter (we'll do that for sure, today).

Since he's only been with us a little over a month, I don't know his patterns, but we've had to communicate a few times and he's always responded promptly.

Sorry this is so long, but context is important on something like this.  What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Jennifer Streamer,

Want to compliment you on your concern for your tenant as a human person. Hope he's o.k. ...

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Will Johnston:

    @Jennifer Streamer For what it's worth, I'd waive the fee. I've got an A class single family with a tenant that honestly just sometimes forgets to send me the rent. A single email pretty much always does it.  I get the whole by the book mentality, but I'd rather not piss them off over a day late when they always pay and it's not like I have to chase them down.  Given that this was a medical emergency, I wouldn't charge them the late fee.

    Thanks for the feedback, Will.  You know - I probably would not have charged the late fee, but I was swayed by all of the hard-nosed advice in this thread!  Maybe many of the others are in tougher neighborhoods with more challenging tenants?  I don't know.  But I appreciate another opinion!!  

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David Dachtera:

    @Jennifer Streamer,

    Want to compliment you on your concern for your tenant as a human person. Hope he's o.k. ...

     Thank you, David :-)  

  • Professional · Roseville, CA · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    Omg, I'm not sure what everyone else has blogged, But if it were me I would call HR at his work explain the situation, If he hasn't been to work since Friday, immediately call the police department and ask for a civil standby, explain to the police the situation they may be able to do a welfare check, which is them knocking on the door announcing themselves and if they get no answer they may choose to enter to check and make sure they man isn't suffering from some unforeseen medical issue.  It would be horrible if he had a heart attach or heaven only knows and is laying on his apartment floor, a person can only live 3-4 days without water. You could literally be saving his life.  If and when the law enters and doesn't find him, Then make a missing person report and mail off the the 3 day pay or quit or whatever it is in your area.  I wouldn't wait on this in case he's in some sort of distress. You won't sleep well until you know for sure.  You are all in my prays.

    Sincerely

    Melissa McGuire

  • Professional · Roseville, CA · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    Wow after reading the blog (after giving my first reaction  with out reading the blog I don't like to color my thoughts by what others blog on a subject)) I'm somewhat shocked that some people didn't "see" their tenants as people?!?! Did I read that right?  I'm really sorry and I know this won't be popular but as landlords we offer a service to a customer with out them we wouldn't be able to live our lifes as we see fit send our kids to a good college take those nice vacations drive those nice cars help our family out when needs be and so.  That's not to say that we don't work very hard for what we have or that we haven't earned every dime that passes threw our hand, it's just I'm a firm believer In that you can and need to be very firm when it comes to business which your rentals are you business, it never hurts to extend simply common human concern, If you came upon a wreck and there were people in the wreck you could just drive by with out helping.  I couldn't.  I'm just saying don't forget where the funds come from.  If people didn't rent we'd be out of business Just one persons thought.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    If you are not going to inforce a lease universally,late fee, you need to indicate in your lease the possible situations in which a late fee may be waved, or at the discursion of management. You then establish a criteria for reasons to wave and have it set such that no other tenant may argue discrimination in the future when their fee is not waved. Variations on adherence to lease language can be contentious. Every decision must be based on a established practice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.