When do I worry about missing tenant?

When do I worry about missing tenant?

Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes

Hi all,  I hope someone has some good suggestions for a possibly missing tenant situation.  We have a tenant who moved in just before May 1st.  We did lots of due diligence - past landlords, personal references, confirmed his employment.  Everything seemed great.  He's a single man in his 50's and a CPA.  He's on the company website and it's a verifiable company.

He paid his security deposit and first months rent and then moved in.  He bought some new furniture and did some work in the yard.  He seemed to be settling in well.

Last Wednesday, I texted him a reminder to include his move in checklist with his rent.  If he had already mailed a check, I said we'd stop by on Saturday to pick up the checklist.  He replied that he'd call with a good time on Saturday.

The rent didn't arrive on the 1st and when I texted on Saturday about the move in checklist.  I didn't get a reply.

I figured I'd wait until Monday, to see if rent arrived in the mail.  No rent.  I emailed and called but there was no response and the phone went straight to voicemail.  Later, I emailed his work and personal email but did not get a response.

Today (Tuesday), I've called a few times and texted once.  Calls went straight to voicemail and I didn't get a text back.  I called his work and the receptionist said he wasn't in today, but put me through to his voicemail.

My husband stopped by after work.  There was a car in the driveway and a torn screen.  The lawn hasn't been mowed in a week or so, I imagine.  There was minimal mail in the mailbox.

Now it's the 6th, so rent is clearly late, but I'm also concerned about him.  This is a quality neighborhood.  The neighbors are also accountants and nurses.  

Should we go in?  Text 24 hours notice and then go in?  Talk to his company HR to see if he's been at work?  Call his personal references?  Send the late rent letter (we'll do that for sure, today).

Since he's only been with us a little over a month, I don't know his patterns, but we've had to communicate a few times and he's always responded promptly.

Sorry this is so long, but context is important on something like this.  What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Jennifer Streamer,

Want to compliment you on your concern for your tenant as a human person. Hope he's o.k. ...

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jennifer Streamer If he filled out a rental application, he should have provided an emergency contact. Call the contact and explain that you were worried about him because you haven't heard from him in XXXX amount of time, but dont tell somebody his personal business about non payment of rent. You could also check his social media as well to see if he has posted anything.

    After that, leave a note that you will be coming by on XXXX date to check whatever you want to make up, this way you can see if anything is amiss.

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Kim Meredith Hampton  Great advice- I forgot about the emergency contact on the application.  We've never had to use it before.  It's possible he's just dodging us or another explanation.  But something feels off.

    Thanks for replying.

  • Carolina · Member since 2017 · 519 posts · 222 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Streamer:

    @Kim Meredith Hampton  Great advice- I forgot about the emergency contact on the application.  We've never had to use it before.  It's possible he's just dodging us or another explanation.  But something feels off.

    Thanks for replying.

     I don't think there is anything wrong with touching base with them, as suggested above.  Just phrase it as a personal concern for him. No need for them to be involved with late rent issues. Plus, if something has happened to him, they need to know.  Then, when you establish that he is (hopefully) ok, you go to him with the rent, yard maintenance, etc. issues.  I do hope he is OK! That's quite nerve racking, I imagine. Do come back and let us know what happens.

    Best of luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    I've 'found' a few of mine in the county jail inmate list. But they weren't accountants. 

    Would take 2 minutes to check. 

    It's only the 6th, remember. 18 calls to their cell and work mixed in with  22 texts and e-mails is a little excessive for my tastes.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    You can try to continue to get in touch however the only thing you really need to do Is send out the pay or quite notice to begin the process to collect. There is no reason for you to be chasing him, It is his responsibility to contact you not vice versa. In a situation such as yours with a new tenant and no contact you should have sent the notice on the 2nd. If this gets resolved he would then understands you are a serious landlord. Now unfortunately once resolved he will expect you to chase him in the future for his rent. 

  • Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 257 posts · 230 votes
    9y

    Royal Oak is an A neighborhood, so I understand being confused. I would serve the pay or quit notice to be safe, then wait and see what happens. He is 50 years old, and no matter what has happened to him; not your responsibility. I don't think calling his work is too invasive either if it's a legitimate wellness check.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Landlords have no right to intrude into tenants personal lives. I would not even consider calling my kids work place let alone a tenants. If I were the tenant involved I would be having words with my landlord.

    The extent of a landlords intrusion into a tenants life, when rent is not paid on time, is to call the tenant directly and send the pay or quite notice. Landlords are not their tenants guardians.

    We do not chase tenants, we follow landlord tenant code. Send the notice immediately when contact is not made. Even when contact s made we send the notice to protect yourself. When they say the check is in the mail, my bank screwed up , my account was hacked etc. it is always a lie. A landlord is always the last to be paid because landlords do not follow professional procedures immediately upon not receiving payment. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I would have already given notice to enter so the next time I went by to post pay or quit notice, I'd be able to enter and make sure he's not inside and not able to move, like had a stroke or fell in the shower or something.   More likely, he's just traveling for work or on vacation and forgot to pay the rent on time.        

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Post Notice pay or quit, post 24 hour notice to enter for maintenance check, don't call employer, if you want to know if he's entered,, tape the notice over the door lock so you can tell if it's been moved. or camp out in the driveway till he gets back,, after 24 hours for entry, go in and see if he's there or dead. 

    That happens ,,, if your there and you call listen for his cell phone by the doorway .. If you can hear it and no answer call cops and say you need a well check, when the cops get there open the door and let them go in first.. NO dead guy fine.. dead guy then you got issues... Put note on door if cops enter that you did a well check with police assistance. 

    mow the lawn while your there.

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all the responses.  We still have no contact  We mailed the pay or quit notice.  We also gave notice that we would be entering the premises this evening.  Depending on what we find, we'll call the emergency contact after looking in the house. 

    It is not the lack of rent but the lack of contact that has us concerned.  Usually tenants who are late with rent have a story.   This tenant has been easy to communicate with from day one.  Now his phone goes straight to voicemail, there is no response to texts, and no response to work or personal emails.  It strange and concerning.  I'll update when we have an answer.

    @Brian H.  It's been a week since we heard from him.  Sometimes I don't speak to a tenant for months, but I can always reach them when I need to!  

    @Shaun C.  Exactly!  I wanted to establish in my initial post that this isn't a neighborhood with a lot of drifters.  We're only a month in and the security deposit is substantial.  His income/savings is more than enough to pay the rent.

    @Thomas S.  We sent the pay or quit.  If he's okay, then this is not acceptable.  I'm mainly concerned that something has happened to him - possibly in the house, considering his car is in the driveway.

    @Steve Vaughan The county jail would be a good excuse.  I was thinking more about hospitals. But who knows! Those accountants can get wild and crazy.   I assume you're being facetious about the number of calls/texts?  It was about 4 texts over a week.  Calls went straight to voicemail.  I left one message.  I sent two emails.  One notified him about late rent/late fee and asked him to get in touch.  The second was the notification that we're coming in.

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Deanna McCormick  Good thought about taping the notice over the locks to the exterior doors.  Ringing the cell phone would be a great idea, but it's going straight to voicemail, so no ringing.  We'll go in tonight.

    @Lynn McGeein  You've captured my worry well - a stroke, etc.  I've thought about the vacation or work travel, too.  Maybe he ubered to the airport.  You'd think his cell phone would be on within the last week, though.  

    @Thomas S.  When he was setting up the home viewing our conversations were on his work line.  A receptionist responds and either puts you on hold before connecting or puts you through to voicemail.  The receptionist does not ask who I am.  Even if I had no concern about him as a person, it's still concerning that a tenant could possibly have come to harm in my property.  

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    9y

    Pay or Quit, then see what happens.  Most states and thus leases allow you to give reasonable notice then check the property, for us it's 24 hours.

  • Investor · atlanta , GA · Member since 2012 · 287 posts · 148 votes
    9y

    If he hasn't been showing up for work at all during this time period, call the local police, meet them at the property with a key, and let them enter to conduct a welfare check.  The last thing you want to do is wait any longer in case he's had some type of medical emergency in your property.  

    If your confident that's not the issue, then yes I would continue with the pay or quit as well.

    Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jennifer Streamer,

    Want to compliment you on your concern for your tenant as a human person. Hope he's o.k. ...

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Your biggest issue, the reason to enter, is to confirm that his body is not decomposing and causing damage to your property. As a landlord you want the body out before it causes damage. After that you proceed to collect rent, if possible, from family for the month.

    Aside from that it is a waste of a landlords time to chase tenants when the issuing of paper accomplishes the same purpose. Tenants always avoid contact when they do not want to pay rent. Hopefully this guy isn't the type that has little regard for others otherwise you are going to have to do some serious training.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Is he a CPA or "The Accountant?"

    In all seriousness, the first thing I would do is check social media and see if he's had any activity.  You've already served notice on both late rent and entering the home so hold off on calling the emergency contact unless something seems afoul. 

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @John Casmon  The only social media I found when he was moving in was linkedin.  He's older, so that's not surprising.

    We do have an update.  The emergency contact called me today.  He was also a personal reference, so we had spoken before.  The tenant did have a health emergency, was found by the friend, and was hospitalized.  He will fully recover.

    Today was the first day in several days he was functioning and he asked the friend get us the rent.  I'm picking it up after work.  Including the late fee - though that may be unkind.  A credit card company will waive the fee as a one time courtesy. 

    I've already sent the demand for rent letter, but I'll send a follow up stating that the rent has been paid in full.

    Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.  I'm glad my update didn't have a worse ending!

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    9y

    I would add that if this was a safety concern you can always just call the local police to do a welfare check.  They will meet you at the property and you can open the door for them to go in.  I usually do this a lot when I suspect something wrong. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 507 posts · 171 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Streamer:

    @John Casmon  The only social media I found when he was moving in was linkedin.  He's older, so that's not surprising.

    We do have an update.  The emergency contact called me today.  He was also a personal reference, so we had spoken before.  The tenant did have a health emergency, was found by the friend, and was hospitalized.  He will fully recover.

    Today was the first day in several days he was functioning and he asked the friend get us the rent.  I'm picking it up after work.  Including the late fee - though that may be unkind.  A credit card company will waive the fee as a one time courtesy. 

    I've already sent the demand for rent letter, but I'll send a follow up stating that the rent has been paid in full.

    Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.  I'm glad my update didn't have a worse ending!

    Wow! I'm glad you were able to get it all sorted out and that your tenant is okay.

    As someone mentioned earlier, I admire that you treated your tenant like a human being and genuinely cared about their well being and not just the money. 

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Glad to hear the story has a good ending. I'm confused on the rent collection plan though. You stated you're picking it up after work including the late fee then say a credit card company will waive the fee.....why do you need to pick it up if it's being paid by cc? And why wouldn't you just waive the late fee given the circumstances?

    Anyway, glad this is resolved. Now you just have to hope he doesn't pull this medical emergency stunt every month. 

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @John Casmon  I meant I wasn't sure if I should waive the fee and was reflecting that a credit card company likely would, so should I?  I didn't waive the fee and I'm not sure if I feel right about that even now.  

    Agreed- I hope this isn't part of a pattern!

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Phu  thanks for the kind words.  I'll have to get far more cynical before I don't care about someone's well being!  In almost 10 years we've never had an eviction or a problem, so maybe I'm naive.  We only have 5 rentals and all are in nice areas.

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 36 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @George Paiva:

    I would add that if this was a safety concern you can always just call the local police to do a welfare check.  They will meet you at the property and you can open the door for them to go in.  I usually do this a lot when I suspect something wrong.

    @george paiva that's a good suggestion.  I wasn't sure if I was overreacting because it wasn't very long, just seemed out of character.  But my gut was right.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Jennifer Streamer For what it's worth, I'd waive the fee. I've got an A class single family with a tenant that honestly just sometimes forgets to send me the rent. A single email pretty much always does it.  I get the whole by the book mentality, but I'd rather not piss them off over a day late when they always pay and it's not like I have to chase them down.  Given that this was a medical emergency, I wouldn't charge them the late fee.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jennifer Streamer don't overthink it, waive the fee. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.