Tenant simply doesn't respond

Tenant simply doesn't respond

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes

Full disclosure -- I knew things were probably coming to this. I've had to send overdue notices several times this year, and a notice to quit twice (this is the third). I tried to work with my tenant but they simply do not respond...

...and now I am here. They are 8 days overdue on rent, and I sent a notice to pay/quit yesterday. I've e-mailed both co-tenants with no response. I tried calling their cell phone and it has been disconnected. I stopped by the property a few days ago -- windows were open -- knocked on the door twice, no response.

I know they don't have the money to pay. I am ready to just follow a cash for keys method, but I can't establish communication!

I want to stop by the property during the day and thinking of giving 24 hour notice, just because. I think I'm allowed to do this with the proper notice.

Any thoughts/guidance?

1Reply
124 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Joe P. They're ducking you because they know they are about to be evicted. Write up a quick note (casual, handwritten) with something like, "Trying to reach you to discuss how we can avoid an eviction - please call me asap so we can work this out [phone #]". Throw it in an envelope and tape it to the front door, the back door, the garage door, their car door, and anywhere else you can think of. Text, vm, and email that same message to them.

Likely you won't get a call, so in a day or 2 go back and knock. Either they'll think they can continue to take advantage of you and they won't answer, or they were truly concerned about being evicted and now they'll answer because they'll think you are there to help.

Either way, get the eviction process moving along with proper notices, filings, etc. You can't afford to let them continue to buy time, this is the point where you've got to switch into damage-control mode and get them out as fast as possible for as little as possible. Take the stand with them that you don't want them to pay you the rent, you want them out asap, and what ($) is it going to take for them to make that happen in less than a week.

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Leona King  Post a notice on their door that you need to do an inspection.  Then come by at the scheduled time.  If you can't get in, leave another note that you will be coming back with a locksmith at a set time and they will be billed for the rekeying-and they will get copies of the new keys.  Call ahead to talk to a locksmith and set up a tentative time letting them know the situation (ie you may or may not need their services).

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Leona King:

    I want to sell my property ASAP, but the tenants are not cooperating or responding. What can I do to get them out so I can sell. This mortgage forgiveness is not forever. My lender said 2 months, then what? I am going to sell my home regardless. Any advice on how to do this

     Speak to a lawyer about the situation.  I know my lease states I will have keys for the property or I have the legal right to change locks at their cost.  

    If you can go with a locksmith open the doors change the locks and leave a notice to the tenant stating that they can pick up keys by contacting you at X. I don’t play when it comes to my property, they are tenants not owners they don’t get to lock me as the owner out of my property.  I know we live in a whole new world but they still owe rent and have to play by the rules.  

    Good luck I know the frustration. 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Agreed with Eric, you need to consult a lawyer. These are tricky waters to navigate to begin with, add a worldwide pandemic with national and local impacts...you want someone who knows what they are doing advising you.

  • Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2014 · 29 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you sooo much Theresa, Jon, Eric.

    Will be on it Monday morning. 

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Find your state's procedures for a, PAY or QUIT Notice. In some states the weekends and holidays are not part of the waiting period. So be very careful when posting the exact date they need to be out. The reason for the notice should be in large black text. Post the notice on a door, then take a picture of it with your cell phone, and then take another picture from a distance, so the judge can verify you were at the correct address. Be sure to post the same notice at every man door, and take pictures. Also, post a REQUIRED ENTRY NOTICE, dated for the day after the 10 day period expires. Possibly, try to catch them moving out to confirm that your rental is vacant, because of course, you will not receive a notification that they are leaving, and in most states, the LANDLORD has a waiting period before he can declare the rental vacated. 

    Most likely, what is happening here is your tenant plans to leave without paying the last couple month's rent. If you ask them why, they'll say they can't pay a deposit and first month's rent on another place. This situation exists because so many Landlords do not pursue tenants who haven't paid, when they exit. Other renters hear about the free 2 months rent and contact those same Landlords.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Edit your lease to include an escape clause with says a new owner has the right to terminate the lease, 30 days after deed transfer. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.