Replacing Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Replacing Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Central NJ, NJ · Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 3 votes

I just had a tenant move out and she took the cabinet doors under the kitchen sink (who knows why!). Overall, the cabinets are in pretty good shape so I'd hate to replace them all. Anyone have ideas on where to get replacement cabinet doors?

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
16y

If you would have painted the brick and had SS appliances I would have thought that rental was a 500k flip. nice job!

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    16y

    Check out Habitat Re-Store (google search "habitat to restore new jersey". I believe there's a few of these in Jersey. It's a store that takes donations of building materials when people are remodeled or tearing down places. My local store here has an enormous room full of all shapes, sizes, and finishes of cabinets. It's a good place to know about. Plus, if you're doing any rehabs or remodels you can give them the outdated materials as a donation (i.e. tax deduction).

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    I've ordered from these guys:

    http://www.refacedepot.com/index.aspx

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    16y

    I have ordered from these guys.

    www.lakesidemoulding.com

    Take a look. They turned out great.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/47410650@N05/

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    16y

    If you would have painted the brick and had SS appliances I would have thought that rental was a 500k flip. nice job!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    16y

    Thanks Jeff. Hardly 500k. It was a $17,500 gem and a 7k rehab that rents for $700 a month.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    Nice color on the walls, David. What did you use?

    Dan, if all else fails, you can have a cabinet shop make you matching doors. Two custom doors will be a lot cheaper than replacing all the cabinet doors.

    It won't work under the sink, but for upper cabinets, you can replace with glass front doors and they don't have to match and they are an upgrade.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    16y

    Thanks on the paint... "Sesame" was the color. Walmart paint.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    I know this is getting a bit off topic, but

    David, great job! I love the wall color too. I'll have to try it on my next one. Those are real hardwood floors, right (not laminate?). They look great. Did you refinish them or install them?

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Also David, I looked at www.lakesidemoulding.com and am curious. Did you use the wood doors or the MDF doors? I have never heard of using MDF for cabinet doors. It seems with all the messy wetness in a kitchen they may get ruined easier.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    16y

    Thanks Brandon. The hardwoods were original (1940). It is amazing what people will cover up with horrible looking carpet. I refinished them myself. Rented the equipment from Home Depot and used a waterbased polyurethane. 3 rooms totaling 600 sq ft in one day. Working the machines takes a bit of practice so start in a closet, but my wife (110 lbs) can handle it. The poly dries quick and every couple years I just mop the floors a couple times and add a few more coats and they will look new again. The maintenance is really minimal and they really look good. No stain, No oils, No fumes. Each coat dries in an hour. I personally don't think it lasts as long as oil, but they get scratched up in a rental long before they wear out. Mop and reapply in 20 minutes to fix that.

    As for the doors, MDF if the way to go for me. I can not beat $15 for a raised panel door. Prime, paint, and hang and you are out. They can rip one off the wall and I just charge them and order a new one. My buddy does all his flips with them as well and really gets a great response. I think the 2 coats would seal them pretty well from the elements. I use Kilz and a water base finish paint (Sherwin Williams "Casa Blanca"). I have not had a problem at all, but only have 4 yrs experience with them. They even guarantee the doors from warping, but I don't have knowledge about how that works. I was apprehensive at first, due to the online purchase being final, but they are a dream to work with and I think the product is great. I just measure and order the doors the first week on a 3 week rehab, and then hang the doors last. I even get my cabinet hardware on ebay.

  • Real Estate Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2009 · 86 posts · 39 votes
    16y

    Depends on price range. Buying replacement doors starts to get as expensive as just replacing the cabinets.

    If it's a low-end rental, you can just replace all the doors with 3/4 inch plywood.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fond Du Lac, WI · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    Sorry for bumping the old post but thanks for your shared information David, will definitely help me! 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    If you have Ikea cabinets you will be able to order replacement parts (including doors) from them, even if they do not still market that particular model in their current catalog.

    You will have to do some digging on the phone and online but you will be able to order them and they will take about a week to make. 

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @David J. Hi David! I know this thread is from over 10 years ago. Would you still recommend Lakeside Moulding? How did those cabinets hold up for you? Or is there another company you'd recommend now-a-days?

    Thanks in advance! We just bought our first live-in flip and cabinets are next on our list!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 210 posts · 261 votes
    5y

    @Ashley Petersen We still order from them.  They are the least expensive and hold up just fine.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.