Investor · Fontana, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
One of our single-family-home tenants is renewing her lease. The new lease will take effect on October 23, and the new rent is higher. So her total rent payments for October will be 22 days under the old rent and 9 days under the new rent.
My question: Is there a legal requirement to prorate by assuming a 30-day month? Since October actually has 31 days, calculating the per-day rent by dividing by 30 actually increases the total rent the tenant would have to pay. Calculating the more accurate rent by dividing the monthly rent by 31 actually gives the tenant less rent to pay, but I want to do it legally. And if it makes a difference, the property is in California.
Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Leap year? For real?
Don't be so hard. Just wait til the first of the month. A little good will can go a long way and pissing off a tenant for an extra $30 is bad business in my opinion.
Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 58 votes
9y
I would do the tenant a favor by postponing the new lease date to be Nov 1st.
So the new rent will begin on November 1st, 2017; and next year renew date would be November 1st, 2018
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 34 votes
9y
There are multiple ways to prorate and they each have their pros/cons. I use the following formula which I have seen judges use in court:
Monthly Rent x 12 / 365 (unless leap year) = Daily Rent
Daily Rent x number of days = Prorated Total
You can also use the 30 day average, but it cuts 5 days in the division or you can divide the monthly rent by the number of days in the current month (i.e. Rent / 31 days of October)
Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Leap year? For real?
Don't be so hard. Just wait til the first of the month. A little good will can go a long way and pissing off a tenant for an extra $30 is bad business in my opinion.
Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
Alan,
We have always used the actual number of days in the month, but my leases always end at the end of a month, so I don't have everyone's lease dates all over the place, makes it much cleaner and easier to remember
Investor · Fontana, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
9y
Thank you all for your replies. I had thought that there might have been one industry-standard method that I had not known about, but your suggestions all make sense.
Matt W., I particularly like the method you mentioned. That some judges use it adds particular weight.
You should building into your lease how to establish pro-rated.
"The daily pro-rated amount will be calculated by dividing the rent amount by thirty (30) days and then rounding the cents up to the next dollar amount. "
This leave 6 months with an extra when you adjust for Feb to 30 days non-leap year.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 34 votes
9y
Leap year for real. As ridiculous as it sounds, if you use AppFolio Property Management software, it will change the 365/366 day count depending on the year you're doing the proration. Last year I thought I was crazy because I couldn't get a prorated rent to manually calculate compared to the automated total in the software and then I realized it was a leap year and the software was doing it for me correctly.
Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
You guys know this is more of a people business than a spreadsheet business right. We use Propertyware and it does the same and we do prorate when they move in, but renewals we don't. just credit the account. We, and our owners, aren't worried about $15, but tenants really do feel like we are greedy fat cats when you do that crap. At least in Indianapolis tenants care about their $15, and good will is worth a lot more than that IMO.