Investor · Woburn, MA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 3 votes
Hello there,
I need your help. I have a lease with my tenant which is just 3 months old . Currently, the tenant got section 8 approval and asking me to accept the partial amount from section 8 and she stops paying me the amount that section 8 will pay me. So, it seems like I need to sign a contract with section 8 org to get that payment. However, my existing lease with the tenant has another 9 months to get completed. Can my tenant force me to accept section 8 in the middle of an existing lease?
Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
I would contact her section 8 worker,, and say your apt/ house is not section 8 inspected or compliant.. and you are not prepared to sign the contract until you know what is required to comply with their inspection of the property before you agree to sign the contract. I don't believe you can be forced to do that as you were not section 8 approved before renting to this tenant. The tenant usually had like 60 days from the date the sect 8 approval to find housing that accepts section 8
Download your state landlord tenant laws
Just because they ask doesn't necessarily mean you have to agree..
Might be easier to let tenant know you'll let her out of her lease with 30 or 60 day notice.. that would be my first thought.
Property Manager · Fitchburg, MA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 13 votes
9y
That was a dirty way to try to get you to take section 8. As far as I know in Mass you don't HAVE to accept Section 8 unless your property has more than 4 units. And if you live at the property they absolutly can not force you to take vouchers. I would stick to your current lease and start eviction as soon as they don't pay.
Real Estate Agent · Langhorne, PA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
9y
Well a lot of these answers will fall into the Realm of your local state "right to live" laws. I think before you make a decision that you should consult your attorney and/or real estate agent.