Short term lease or long term?

Short term lease or long term?

Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 35 votes
I was thinking about maybe giving my new tenants a shorter lease in case things wrong. Maybe something like a 3-6 month lease and then if they're good tenants I'll offer them a year lease. Is that something I should do? Or would that be dumb? This is my first tenant after the inherited one that is about to move out. Im a bit nervous. Any advice would be appreciated.
0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

You can always try a 3-6 month lease but that may deter potential tenant.  I think a strong background check and strong lease will work best for you.  I would do lease that ends in a good tenant selection season.  For myself we just entered an 11month lease with our tenants because we wanted the lease to end in May that way we can replace they in a prime time market for renters  ( or resign them on 1year).  I would have done a one year lease to start off but for the above reason it worked out fine doing 11 months.  For you a 3 month lease means you may have to find a new tenant  Dec/Jan, not a great time to be filling a vacancy. 

House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    You can always try a 3-6 month lease but that may deter potential tenant.  I think a strong background check and strong lease will work best for you.  I would do lease that ends in a good tenant selection season.  For myself we just entered an 11month lease with our tenants because we wanted the lease to end in May that way we can replace they in a prime time market for renters  ( or resign them on 1year).  I would have done a one year lease to start off but for the above reason it worked out fine doing 11 months.  For you a 3 month lease means you may have to find a new tenant  Dec/Jan, not a great time to be filling a vacancy. 

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Shawn M. Thanks for responding. What does a strong lease mean to you? Now that I think about it, that's probably what I should focused on right now.
  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I love the flexibility of month to month and would not sign a longer agreement.  When applicants express concern about not locking in, I let them know that they can stay as long as they want as long as they pay on time and follow the rules and that I only raise rents annually.

    I suggest you look at what terms are offered in your market.  If there are no other 3-6 month terms, I probably wouldn't be a trail blazer.

    Usually you want to get rid of a tenant due to non-payment, damage, or blatant disregard for your rules.  Agree with earlier advice that solid wording allows you to end a contract early for these reasons.  Knowing and looking for red flags on applications and being willing to wait for a quality tenant goes a long way toward weeding out the terrible tenants as well.

  • Specialist · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 81 votes
    8y

    I have tried every which way when it comes to length terms and have settled on a year for all of our tenants. At one point, we carried the logic that of we kept tenants on month-to-month, we retained the ability to not renew them at any point due to lease infractions or poor behavior. What we found is that this type of lease attracted transient type tenants and we were releasing units every few months. My logic is have a strong lease, put them in there for a year, and hold them to it. 

  • Chad HalePro Member
    Property Manager / Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 779 posts · 301 votes
    8y

    Month to month leases are preferred.   Tenants can easily break leases and are often only on the hook for 1-3 months rent if you end up in court to enforce.  Much harder for a landlord to break a lease.

    Most people in my area are concerned about rent increases.  I'll add an addendum stating no rent increases for a 1 year.

    Advertise as 1 year lease to filter out short term lookers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.