How much does it cost (avg) to fully replace a water heater?

How much does it cost (avg) to fully replace a water heater?

Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 69 votes
Ball park numbers: how much does it cost to fully replace a water heater with labor? Just want to see if my quotes are not too high (i know it varies by places).
1Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y

Wherever you buy your waterheater (or anything else) be aware that cheap and smart are not the same. There is so much flimsy chunk for sale, it's terrible. 

Experience teaches you quickly to stay away from cheap materials. Amateurs buy cheap stuff. Professionals look for commercial grade whenever possible. Amateurs don't consider the long term implications, service life of an item or uptime. Amateurs look at cost, professionals look at value. That does not mean to buy the most expensive item, but to understand that the cheapest sticker price may cost you more over time.

Do yourself a favor and look for quality. Some items will cost 20% more and last 100% longer. Not only does that save you money on the item, but also installation/labor, and better "uptime" makes for a happier tenant, lower overhead and less headache.

Want an example? One of my first properties got equipped with the cheapest plastic shut off valves. Contractor announced proudly that he saved me $5 per valve, we had 7 in the home, for a total of $35 in "savings". Last year I attempted to turn off the water supply to the dishwasher and crushed the valve with my bare hand, flooded the still new kitchen, damaged the subfloor, $2000 in repairs. So glad I saved $35 on the plastic shut off valve!

To answer the question. My plumber replaces water heaters for about $950. The $200 he charges me for labor include getting the new one from the supply house, bringining it to the property, install of the unit and haul away/disposal of the old one. Could I do it in an afternoon and "save" some labor cost? Probably, but I can think of much better ways to invest my time!

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    40 gallon, natural gas, assuming the space it sits in doesn't have to be modified and the existing flu pipe is good:  Material $450, Labor $80, includes haul off of old heater.

    Same size, electric, assuming no mods to the wiring or space: Materials $350, Labor $80.

    Add $40 parts and labor if a shut off needs to be replaced.  Add $25 if new supply lines needed.

    Generally speaking, my cost is about 60% of the price of using a licensed plumber. Last time I did that, my costs came in right at $1000.

    The OP is vague because it does not address size or location of heater, type of fuel, self-install or hired, permits required or not, and whether or not they care about a specific brand.  I use "big box" store brands (GE, Whirlpool, etc).  They seem to last 10-12 years on average.

  • Real Estate Investor · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    I paid $1400 in Milwaukee, WI for a HE gas water heater,  new exhaust, removal of old, install new.  All done though sears.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Peter K.:
    Ball park numbers: how much does it cost to fully replace a water heater with labor? Just want to see if my quotes are not too high (i know it varies by places).

     I just love these.

    How many gallons? Where - crawl, attic, main floor? Gas? Electric? Heat pump? Tankless?  On and on ....

     Great point! I think my plumber added $500 for an attic job, but the $900 was installed in garage.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Rohde:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Peter K.:
    Ball park numbers: how much does it cost to fully replace a water heater with labor? Just want to see if my quotes are not too high (i know it varies by places).

     I just love these.

    How many gallons? Where - crawl, attic, main floor? Gas? Electric? Heat pump? Tankless?  On and on ....

     Great point! I think my plumber added $500 for an attic job, but the $900 was installed in garage.

     That's what I was trying to get at.

    Since plumbers don't show their crack for less than $400, I learned quickly how to repair and swap them myself.

    OP- tank + parts + $400 labor in general. Then you get to clean up after them.

    Enjoy working 'on' your business!

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Ronald Rohde:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Peter K.:
    Ball park numbers: how much does it cost to fully replace a water heater with labor? Just want to see if my quotes are not too high (i know it varies by places).

     I just love these.

    How many gallons? Where - crawl, attic, main floor? Gas? Electric? Heat pump? Tankless?  On and on ....

     Great point! I think my plumber added $500 for an attic job, but the $900 was installed in garage.

     That's what I was trying to get at.

    Since plumbers don't show their crack for less than $400, I learned quickly how to repair and swap them myself.

    OP- tank + parts + $400 labor in general. Then you get to clean up after them.

    Enjoy working 'on' your business!

     To be fair, I am fairly handy on basic appliances, repairs, roofing, etc. I prefer to do tasks once, learn the process, buy the materials (on rentals) then fix it. Next time, I have a basis for the quote and don't have to ask the internet if I'm getting ripped off. 

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 51 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Ronald Rohde:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
    Originally posted by @Peter K.:
    Ball park numbers: how much does it cost to fully replace a water heater with labor? Just want to see if my quotes are not too high (i know it varies by places).

     I just love these.

    How many gallons? Where - crawl, attic, main floor? Gas? Electric? Heat pump? Tankless?  On and on ....

     Great point! I think my plumber added $500 for an attic job, but the $900 was installed in garage.

     That's what I was trying to get at.

    Since plumbers don't show their crack for less than $400, I learned quickly how to repair and swap them myself.

    OP- tank + parts + $400 labor in general. Then you get to clean up after them.

    Enjoy working 'on' your business!

    That is all great until the city won't give you the Rental Certificate of Occupancy until you get your heater permitted.  It is one of the few things I cannot do myself because every year when the inspect for the CO they check the Water Heater to see if it is new.

  • Investor · Trafalgar, IN · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    If you use the hacks from Lowes or HD to install your water heater, you get what you deserve when an issue occurs. Licensed or not, they suck...at least around here! Also, parts for those low end heaters are sometimes hard to find...just keep it in mind. Lowest bid is NEVER the best idea....
  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Scott W. 6 months in jail for a maintenance man installing a water heater? That’s gotta be after he’s been caught 12 times and can’t be the norm. $825 is what cost down I-65 3 hours for a standard 40 gallon. The people in the phone book charge around $1500 usually.
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by :
    Originally posted by :
    Originally posted by :
    Originally posted by :

     I just love these.

    How many gallons? Where - crawl, attic, main floor? Gas? Electric? Heat pump? Tankless?  On and on ....

     Great point! I think my plumber added $500 for an attic job, but the $900 was installed in garage.

     That's what I was trying to get at.

    Since plumbers don't show their crack for less than $400, I learned quickly how to repair and swap them myself.

    OP- tank + parts + $400 labor in general. Then you get to clean up after them.

    Enjoy working 'on' your business!

    That is all great until the city won't give you the Rental Certificate of Occupancy until you get your heater permitted.  It is one of the few things I cannot do myself because every year when the inspect for the CO they check the Water Heater to see if it is new.

    Bummer that. Here I thought TX was landlord friendly. What's with the annual inspections for a CO? Checking the w/h to see if it's new?  Whoa. Thought we had some weird stuff on the left coast... 

  • Investor · Delafield, WI · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    Licensed plumber = license to steal.  Illinois has strongest trades unions because they own the politician/lawmakers there. Hardest part of installing a water heater is getting it in place and making sure your have all the right fittings.

  • Investor · Bradley, IL · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Basic change out $550 - $800 including material and labor
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Wherever you buy your waterheater (or anything else) be aware that cheap and smart are not the same. There is so much flimsy chunk for sale, it's terrible. 

    Experience teaches you quickly to stay away from cheap materials. Amateurs buy cheap stuff. Professionals look for commercial grade whenever possible. Amateurs don't consider the long term implications, service life of an item or uptime. Amateurs look at cost, professionals look at value. That does not mean to buy the most expensive item, but to understand that the cheapest sticker price may cost you more over time.

    Do yourself a favor and look for quality. Some items will cost 20% more and last 100% longer. Not only does that save you money on the item, but also installation/labor, and better "uptime" makes for a happier tenant, lower overhead and less headache.

    Want an example? One of my first properties got equipped with the cheapest plastic shut off valves. Contractor announced proudly that he saved me $5 per valve, we had 7 in the home, for a total of $35 in "savings". Last year I attempted to turn off the water supply to the dishwasher and crushed the valve with my bare hand, flooded the still new kitchen, damaged the subfloor, $2000 in repairs. So glad I saved $35 on the plastic shut off valve!

    To answer the question. My plumber replaces water heaters for about $950. The $200 he charges me for labor include getting the new one from the supply house, bringining it to the property, install of the unit and haul away/disposal of the old one. Could I do it in an afternoon and "save" some labor cost? Probably, but I can think of much better ways to invest my time!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.