What is the most annoying thing about being a landlord?

What is the most annoying thing about being a landlord?

Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I was wondering what are the biggest tenant related frustrations of the property manager/ landlord? If there isn't a software related to it how would you suggest technology could solve it?

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
8y

Tenants are fine, contractors are a nightmare.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Tenants 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    8y

    Tenants are fine, contractors are a nightmare.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Johann Jells:

    Tenants are fine, contractors are a nightmare.

     Tenants causing you to have to hire contractors after they thrash your rental  LOL

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    Ask a thousand people and you'll get a thousand different answers.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Unless you have software that will teach a renter how to put a screen back into a window or get them to properly maintain a yard for once... You got to be  kidding me.  Software will solve nothing for in the trenches LLs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
    8y

    Banks defintely banks.....I can handle the tenants but I can't make the banks loan me money lol

  • Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    So far for me management has been the bigger issue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
    8y

    @Eric Calabrese Management like your property managers or managing tenants yourself? I used to self manage everything and I cannot even imagine doing that again. It was such a waste of time energy and money. If your referring to your property managers then you should fire them and get new ones! Your property management team shouldn't be a pain for you. 

  • Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Philip Williams:

    @Eric Calabrese Management like your property managers or managing tenants yourself? I used to self manage everything and I cannot even imagine doing that again. It was such a waste of time energy and money. If your referring to your property managers then you should fire them and get new ones! Your property management team shouldn't be a pain for you. 

    A management agent or team is my issue right now, I live in New York so I’m forced to use a management team. Problem is I’m a new investor so I haven’t figured out how to evict while living out of state I have a good tenant (that I found) I just wasn’t able to show the place myself.

    I do most the work myself as is he collects rent and knows how to evict if need be but if my tenant renews her lease which I hope, I’ll handle the rest myself because the money I’m paying can be applied to another investment property. What has your experience been self managing?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
    8y

    @Eric Calabrese I guess it depends what stage of your investing you are in, I was in the right around 20 units spread across a bunch of duplexes. It was so time intensive for a few reasons, although everything was relatively close to each other I spent a lot of time running between units doing a lot of low dollar tasks. I realized there was no way to scale with the way I was running my business, if I added another 20 units I would just get double the work load lol. Since you say you invest out of state you definitely need to have a great management team. Where do you invest?

  • Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    @Philip Williams where I’m at I’m very new I’m 23 and just bought my first property in charlotte NC. Right now I’m looking in Milwaukee WI.

    I want to get away from single families and get into multi though, I would continue to budget for a management team but I’m on the crossroads of taking over all of them for now as long as the tenants are good and have been long term. 

    With the NC property I made my own connections while I was out there so I haven’t even needed him but to collect my money lol.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Turnover is annoying. Just stay put!

  • Rental Property Investor · Warrenton, VA · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    Short Answer: tenants  haha 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Bella Kauf

    Weather-- if it gets below 20 degrees, I get calls about the HVACs not working (they are, it's insanely cold), and then you have to worry about pipes freezing.. and then when it gets super hot, you similar calls about it not working again (it's working, it's hot outside!)  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.