Cash Tenant, No E-mail (Crazy...)! Rent payment options help!

Cash Tenant, No E-mail (Crazy...)! Rent payment options help!

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 29 votes

I just acquired a 4-plex today.  I currently have 18 units, and will have another 4 here within the month.  As crazy as it might seem to many, I self manage from out of state.  I have a reliable maintenance team and listing agent, and historically handle leases and rental payments electronically.  This post is not about that, so please no comments on my decision to self manage.  

However, one of my tenants does not have an e-mail or a bank account.  I inherited this tenant...not my first choice.  The prior landlord allowed cash payments, and he never missed a single payment in over a year.  I do not allow cash payments.  Being out of state, it doesn't work with my business model.

The options I have considered:

  • My thoughts are that the tenant gets a money order every month and physically mails it to me.
  • The tenant directly deposits into my account at the bank (is there a way to do this without disclosing my account number?)
  • I see services that allow the tenant to deposit cash at a local Walmart, but everyone of these services is a separate product that I would have to license or enroll in.  I don't want to manage a separate system for one tenant.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what works for them?  Thank you very much for your help!!!

2Reply
185 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

Your account number really isn't that big of a security concern.... If you've ever written a check, your acct number was there for all to see. 

But like said, chase and other banks are starting to cut back on letting anyone put cash into an account.

Depending how your set up, this could work? Doubt it'd work for 1 person though...
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/108305-using-paynearme-for-rent

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    Thanks to all who have posted.  After having some discussion with the tenant, he has not only created an e-mail account, but will be using Cozy.  He even executed a rental application (as the prior landlord did a horrible job of retaining tenant information) via DocuSign!  For someone who didn't have an e-mail a week ago, and is now filling out rental applications via DocuSign, I'm pretty impressed.  People are afraid of technology, but it can truly simplify everyone's life if people are willing to try it.  It's amazing what you can get done when you explain that you are not trying to inconvenience the tenant, but this is the way you have chosen to effectively manage your business.  By offering to help him with any questions along the way, I think the tenant has surprised himself with how easy it really is to use these mobile applications. 

    @Alan Grobmeier - Thank you very much!  In my professional life, I have always been the guy tasked with making processes more efficient, and was regularly moved into new jobs to help make that area of the business more optimized.  As such, I try to focus of the processes and systems.  I find that by being diligent with the processes, it is fairly simple.  

    My favorite tools are as follows:

    • DocuSign - I truly love this tool.  I use it for rental applications, Estoppel agreements when purchasing a new building, lease agreements, etc
    • Cozy.co - I use it for all rental payments, and maintenance requests.  Any e-mails that tenants send with pictures, I will immediately load them into cozy as a maintenance issue, and direct them to use cozy in the future.  So far so good.  I then send a link of the issue via e-mail to my maintenance guy.
    • Microsoft OneDrive - I have every file diligently organized on OneDrive.  This way I can access any document on my mobile device, or anyone else's computer.  I can be as effective at the beach as I can in my office (or at least close to).  If I edit a document on my phone, it will get updated in the cloud and will be available when I get back to my desk.
    • Todoist - This is my to do list application.  I log every single action/reminder.  Once again, this works across all my devices and helps me to never forget an action.
    • GoogleVoice - My office line is a google voice number.  I have it work with my landline, but it will also call my cell phone should I be out and about.  Additionally, it will transcribe voicemails that I can access anywhere, from any device.  
    • Quicken - Of course, maintaining clean accounting records is very helpful....
    • Venmo, Paypal, GooglePay - I use all of these services for one off payments to third parties.  When asked, nearly everyone has one of the above and is happy to accept payment this way.

    I suppose my point is that the technology that is available is so easy to use, and can make running a business so efficient.  If you are consistent in the way you use these tools, you can become hyper efficient.  I have literally executed a new lease agreement, and set someone up for automatic payments on cozy while waiting for a waiter to bring my lunch. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, CA · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 55 votes
    8y

    @Manolo D. , I don't know where you bank at but I use Chase and it works for me so I don't know why your bank doesn't allow using that method for a deposit. It's money going in. Now if it's money going out, it's a totally different story :-)

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Manolo D.:

    @Jose Ramos

    @Kate Marin

    So how do you use Venmo/Paypal WITHOUT bank account and utilizing only CASH? That is what the OP asked.

    @Jesse Moran is correct, business account can accept cash deposits.

    @Alex Huynh They don't anymore. At least BoA doesnt.

    @Steve GravesWhen you don't give them the last 4, they won't accept it, plus, on the deposit slip, it will show the last 4, so no point.

     Wells Fargo told us that our business account will not be able to accept cash deposits starting prior to June 1 (do not remember exact start date of new policy but it was before our next rents were due) from people who do not have a Wells Fargo account. Not sure if other banks will be setting the same policy.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Dan H. I'd remove all my business from that bank if they pulled that on me. I never opened a chase account for the very same reason. I mean, come on, me adding a tenant just for them to deposit? That's a joke. Maybe in the near future, they will also stop accepting checks to personal accounts too. who knows..

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Graves:

    @Manolo D. , I don't know where you bank at but I use Chase and it works for me so I don't know why your bank doesn't allow using that method for a deposit. It's money going in. Now if it's money going out, it's a totally different story :-)

     I'm with BoA mostly, so let's say you have a 1234567890 bank account number, so you give 123456xxxx then they make a deposit, the deposit will say xxxxxx7890, so in essence, there's no point in not giving them all the account numbers. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.