Rental house be put on craigslist fraudulently

18 Replies

Report to Craigslist? HAHA! You might as well put a note in a bottle and throw it in the ocean. Craigslist doesn't have a team of people reviewing complaints or fraudulent posts which is why Craigslist is such a mess.

The best solution is to add a watermark to your photos. That will deter the fraudsters from stealing your photos and creating fake ads. Do this for every advertisement because they will steal pictures from Zillow or Trulia and create fake Craigslist ads, also.

I started watermarking my photos years ago and haven't had a single fake ad since.

Also, if someone sends a deposit or rent to the person who posted the ad, it's their own loss. That happens a lot in the rental world. They post an ad and when you respond they say that they (or their spouse) is in another country, so please send the deposit to him and they will send you the keys...or some other strange arrangement. Some people actually fall for it.

The other question you need to answer...why is your tenant looking at rentals on Craigslist??? Prepare for a potential vacancy.

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :

Report to Craigslist? HAHA! You might as well put a note in a bottle and throw it in the ocean. Craigslist doesn't have a team of people reviewing complaints or fraudulent posts which is why Craigslist is such a mess.

The best solution is to add a watermark to your photos. That will deter the fraudsters from stealing your photos and creating fake ads. Do this for every advertisement because they will steal pictures from Zillow or Trulia and create fake Craigslist ads, also.

I started watermarking my photos years ago and haven't had a single fake ad since.

out of sheer curiosity how would one watermark a photo.. ??? I know dumb question but I am curious.. not that I have ever or will ever place a craiglist add.. but I look at cars sometimes on there..  

@Jay Hinrichs I have an app on my phone called "watermark". Its simply a photo editor that allows text over pictures. You can make it semi transparent so it doesnt take over the picture. I just put my business name, diagonally, across the photo.
Originally posted by @Jason D. :
@Jay Hinrichs I have an app on my phone called "watermark". Its simply a photo editor that allows text over pictures. You can make it semi transparent so it doesnt take over the picture. I just put my business name, diagonally, across the photo.

then how do you get the photo off the phone and on to craiglist.. ???

Originally posted by @Jason D. :
@Jay Hinrichs I can post to craigslist directly from my phone, or upload it to a cloud service like dropbox or Google drive,and then post from anywhere.

OK I cant even put a photo on BP  I don't know how to get it from my phone to BP.. I would like to though so I could show some of my new home projects.. I think that would be fun.. have to wait for my grandkids to come over maybe they could help.. so your not even plugging anything in ??? to a computer to do that.. it just goes over the airwaves.

@Joe Xie Make a post of your own with the title "CAUTION - FRAUDULENT RENTAL" with the same photo the scammer used.

Explain in the posting that a scammer has listed your property for rental, but it is NOT available for rent.

At that point, you've done what you can - unless you want to screw with them.  

In that case, using a throwaway email, tell the scammer you want to rent the unit.  He'll ask for payment via western Union, which you tell him that you'll gladly send.

Then keep sending him bogus confirmation numbers, apologizing each time.  Tell him you're dyslexic and change one digit in the fake confirmation number.

Keep it going as long as you want to have fun!

@Jay Hinrichs At last my chance to add value to the community!    Maybe I'll start a whole blog here on  technology to address questions like this.  :-)

I don't want to hijack this thread, though.  Do you want to have a discussion in another thread about getting your photos from your phone to Bigger Pockets?

Originally posted by @Mark Sullivan :

@Jay Hinrichs At last my chance to add value to the community!    Maybe I'll start a whole blog here on  technology to address questions like this.  :-)

I don't want to hijack this thread, though.  Do you want to have a discussion in another thread about getting your photos from your phone to Bigger Pockets?

yes thank you.. 

Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson :

@Joe Xie Make a post of your own with the title "CAUTION - FRAUDULENT RENTAL" with the same photo the scammer used.

Explain in the posting that a scammer has listed your property for rental, but it is NOT available for rent.

At that point, you've done what you can - unless you want to screw with them.  

In that case, using a throwaway email, tell the scammer you want to rent the unit.  He'll ask for payment via western Union, which you tell him that you'll gladly send.

Then keep sending him bogus confirmation numbers, apologizing each time.  Tell him you're dyslexic and change one digit in the fake confirmation number.

Keep it going as long as you want to have fun!

that does sound like fun.. !!! 

@Jay Hinrichs   I've done it a couple of times and it's a blast!  

The challenge is to see how long you can keep the game going.  I had one that went on for a couple of weeks. 

This website https://www.419eater.com/ is completely dedicated to screwing with scammers.  You can have hours of fun - plus, any time they burn up dealing with you gives them less time to steal from somebody else.

thank you @Jay Hinrichs @Charlie MacPherson @Mark Sullivan @Paul Constantine @Jason D. @Nathan G. @Walter @Aaron Poling for great inputs. I have following up:

1. I contacted Craigslist to report fraudulent, nothing happened so far. The fraudulent ad is still on Craigslist.

2. I send an email pretending interested, no reply so far.

3. Tenant give me 30 day notice today. But saying it was very coincidental to the fraudulent posting on craigslist and Assure me that one has no relation to the other in the notice. I believe the tenate as explanations seems indicates the moving reason is just piped up and the decision was made just within a couple of days. 

Now I have a problem, I need post ad for new tenant, but this fraudulent ad is still on Craigslist ( which with very low rent asking). What should I do? 

BTW, I am doing the listing and finding new tenant my self, what is the best site I post ad in my situation? Thanks