How do you like to communicate with tenants and maintenance?

How do you like to communicate with tenants and maintenance?

Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 29 votes

I am curious what the trend is and what works best for those of you who are already a landlord.  For those of you who have been a landlord for some time, what did you wish you had to communicate with tenants specifically for maintenance issues or lines of communication tenants try to open?  For those that haven't been doing this for that long, what do you think is the most efficient means of organizing communications from tenants and how do you transpose maintenance issues to those who are going to be tasked with the repairs?

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

@Tyler Kaye I use google hang outs which is connected to google voice. I self manage 32 units in the Berwyn/Lyons area outside Chicago, and almost all of my communication uses this method. I can "text message" from either my computer or my phone, and this allows me to keep communication direct and simple. I do not like picking up the phone, and I avoid this if possible. Even my older tenants seem to be ok with text messaging for the most part. 

For maintenance, I simply text my maintenance guys the issue and put them in touch with the tenant (for the most part). I do have an on site guy at one of my apartment buildings who coordinates with them if I am not available, which has helped a lot. I think it starts to make sense to have an on site maintenance/helper when you get to 10-12 unit buildings and up. You can give them a few bucks off the rent to help coordinate all the silly little things that come up. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Tyler Kaye I use google hang outs which is connected to google voice. I self manage 32 units in the Berwyn/Lyons area outside Chicago, and almost all of my communication uses this method. I can "text message" from either my computer or my phone, and this allows me to keep communication direct and simple. I do not like picking up the phone, and I avoid this if possible. Even my older tenants seem to be ok with text messaging for the most part. 

    For maintenance, I simply text my maintenance guys the issue and put them in touch with the tenant (for the most part). I do have an on site guy at one of my apartment buildings who coordinates with them if I am not available, which has helped a lot. I think it starts to make sense to have an on site maintenance/helper when you get to 10-12 unit buildings and up. You can give them a few bucks off the rent to help coordinate all the silly little things that come up. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    I'm contacting vendors a couple dozen times a week. My answer: whatever works. Some vendors like a work order by email but then I follow up with a call. Some communicate best by text. Others never respond to anything so I have to leave a voicemail and wait for them to call back.

    You'll have to build a relationship and see what works best with each vendor.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Nathan Gesner and @John Warren for the responses.  I ask because I have a few ideas for a product to help with tenant communication and work request deliveries.  I am trying to get a feel for the preferred communication lines and what is being used by low to mid-level real estate investors in terms of number of units managed.

    Do either of you use any specific software or applications beyond Google Hangouts?

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I find simplest is best. So i just use texting. If a tenant texts me with an issue i either call or text the sub and have them contact tenant directly. Simple and direct and i am in the loop. (I have 10 units) 

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Tyler Kaye I don't have any specific software I am using. Honestly, it doesn't take much time to manage these properties, and my contractors probably wouldn't know how to use a fancy software. Some of them barely text message, and I don't know what value a software could add. I think most software products end up being made for companies that have employees who they can teach the system. I am sure this adds a lot of value, but for us smaller investors that use handymen I don't know that we are a great target audience. 

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I used facebook messenger LOL

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @John Warren my idea is based on a mobile application to connect those handymen and contractors with landlords that want to create a network of communication.  I started considering the idea when I had so much trouble finding good contractors and handymen for a property of mine.  I ended up making it work after a really long time and it delayed a project for me by about three months.  Because I had such a hard time finding good people, I thought about how that could apply to tenants notifying landlords of problems or the landlord communicating needs to tenants or contractors.  If you would like, I can send you more information on my idea.  I would appreciate some input from those who have more experience and time as a landlord than I.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @David Zheng I could see that working for some things.  Did you have any trouble with late messages?  Was it easy to keep it organized?

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    so it does only work in certain situations. my tenants are mostly  college students. Its easy to create groups on the messenger app and search for who I need to talk to. Also the app shows you who sees what messages at what time. sending pics and videos over messenger is easy as well. and you can do live chats

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 167 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Kaye I directly text with all of my tenants.  If I am not available for a longer period of time (vacation), I text out the instructions of who they can contact in my absence.  

    Additionally, I text out ahead of time (24 hour notice) if I am coming into their property for maintenance work.  I have them approve that I will be coming into the property in case it is too inconvenient for them.   

    I also text prior to entering and when I leave a property.  It is used to time stamp when I am in the property.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Dan Perrott the timestamp is a good idea and protects you and the tenant.  

    I like that idea.  Thank you for the insights @David Zheng.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.