How well have LUXURY VINYL PLANKS held up?

How well have LUXURY VINYL PLANKS held up?

Contractor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 21 votes
We have installed a whole lot of it to replace carpet. Many of the brands say it’s easy to replace a section rather than the whole floor. I haven’t seen many after a year or so and am wondering if the product stands up and if small repairs to sections actually look good?
2Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

I have installed it in quite a few rentals and they're holding up great. I had one unit with a water leak and we were able to pull it up, dry everything out, and reinstall with no issues. So far, so good!

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    7y

    So far so good.... I have installed lvp in nearly 30 units. I think I installed over 400 boxes last year alone. Mostly kitchens and Bathrooms. I have done a few complete unit installs as well. 

    The living rooms, seem to be where the damage occurs. We ask folks to put down area rugs or small mats under their furniture. One trick I have used to get the scuffs out is a color match stain stick.  Just color over the scuffs,then take a soft towel (I use a terry cloth) and buff it out. They are almost impossible to see after that.

    The thing is though, LVP really hasn't been out long enough for any of us on here to give the gospel answer. 

    I probably  installed 10-15 laminate floors going back 15-20 years ago. If you would ask me my opinion back then in year 3-4 I would of probably gave a similar response. Now over time... Not so much.

    With a finished install price of almost double of carpet, I'm not totally convinced it is the most cost effective floor covering for every situation.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    What are your go to LVPs and how are they installed (glue, floating)?
  • Rental Property Investor · Stamford, CT · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    I did Mannington Adura plank in an apartment remodel recently. Love it. $2.29/sq.ft. rigid with underlayment attached. So much better than comparable product at Home Cheapo & with a superior wear layer & warranty. Everyone that sees it oohs and aahs.  Really elevated the look of the unit. 

    We TRIED to mark and scar it up (as a test) and couldn’t.  We installed it and as newbies to the product, made some minor errors.  Truth is, you can’t tell.  Looks fantastic.  Will be using it again for sure.

    Can’t figure out how to attach a pic here or I would  

    https://www.carpet-wholesale.com/item-381139/luxury-vinyl/adura-tile/adura-rigid-plank-collection/lakeview-adura-rigid-plank/rapid.php

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.