How well have LUXURY VINYL PLANKS held up?

How well have LUXURY VINYL PLANKS held up?

Contractor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 21 votes
We have installed a whole lot of it to replace carpet. Many of the brands say it’s easy to replace a section rather than the whole floor. I haven’t seen many after a year or so and am wondering if the product stands up and if small repairs to sections actually look good?
2Reply
132 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

I have installed it in quite a few rentals and they're holding up great. I had one unit with a water leak and we were able to pull it up, dry everything out, and reinstall with no issues. So far, so good!

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Northeast Indiana · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    We have installed a ton of TrafficMaster Allure brand and its held up great. We are on 2nd and 3rd turnovers with no maintenance other than replacing quarter round here and there. Most of the dings and scratches buff out. We have not had to replace one or two planks yet, but I would love to hear how feasible anyone else may have found that process

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    I have installed it in quite a few rentals and they're holding up great. I had one unit with a water leak and we were able to pull it up, dry everything out, and reinstall with no issues. So far, so good!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    I have it in 5 or 6 rentals- zero issues. It will be my go-to moving forward in pretty much any rental. 

    I do still do carpet in the bedrooms...

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    7y

    I've got it in three houses so far, it's held up beautifully to kids and pets for about three years now. Much better than the laminate I put in my very first house...won't do that again.

  • Houston · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Not trying to derail this thread, but in your collective experiences what's the average cost of material/labor for installing LVP? I was looking at replacing large sections of carpet with LVP, but I haven't seen much in ways of actual costs (yet).

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    This is my first time using the vinyl planks.  I just bought about 850 sf from Lowes (smartcore ultra).  I was able to combine two discounts and ended up paying about $3 per s.f. for materials (Including the quarter round). I got the second highest grade they had, you can certainly get cheaper stuff.  Lowes quoted install price was an additional $1.79 per s.f. but they were weeks out on schedule so I found guy to install for about $2 per s.f.  All said my anticipated cost is $5 per s.f. for 750 s.f.  I was pretty happy with that price.  I’m looking forward to getting rid of carpet and linoleum that are both more than 25 years old.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @James Carollo 4 years and very pleased with lvt floating floor in wood look from Floor n Decor. Hvac condensate tube leaked...quite a bit actually...and no damage. Scratches are hard to see. Next place I am going with the solid core lvt.
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @James Carollo I've had it in my house since 2004 when it was built. It's a large house. Over the years there's been 14 people at a time living in the house, gatherings of 50 or so frequently, and the floor it looks as good now as ever.
  • Contractor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    I really appreciate the feedback. As the planks become so popular I started recommending. I really wanted to know that what I’m recommending is holding up.

  • Contractor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Krawitz:

    Not trying to derail this thread, but in your collective experiences what's the average cost of material/labor for installing LVP? I was looking at replacing large sections of carpet with LVP, but I haven't seen much in ways of actual costs (yet).

  • Contractor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    Thanks for expanding into the pricing area. I would love to hear more about those experiences as well. We definitely try to always stay competive to help investors with their businesses-looking to conquer the challenge of having quality skilled guys providing investment property prices and overall value using efficient processes. If anyone has leads on bulk LVP rates, whether local or ordered internationally-I would highly appreciate that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I have already made the decision for LVP any time I turn units over, but always looking for that value. I installed my own in a basement bathroom, but if doing an entire unit I want to hire it out. Not just for the professional look, but because my back and knees insist that I do so. The above mentioned $2 a sq ft for just installation, and $5 sq ft total, seems expensive. But like everything else, I guess it depends on area of the country. Anybody in the Midwest, Des Moines, Kansas City area have a price for professional installation? 

  • Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 62 votes
    7y

    We use waterproof DuraLux, 6.5mm with cork backing from Floor and Decor, it was $2.89/sf.  If you're handy, it's possible to install yourself.  We had pricing to install about $3.00/sf.  

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Aaron Krawitz I pay about $1.69-1.79 per square foot for the material. The rest of the cost is then labor, which will very from market to market. The last time I paid someone by the job, it ended up being $2 per square foot to install flooring, so the "all in" cost was just under $4 per square foot. 

    @James Carollo I have installed vinyl plank in almost 15 apartments here in the Berwyn area now, and I also have it in a lower end rental in Indiana. Even in the lower end places it has held up. The only time it hasn't was due to poor installation quality, which can't be blamed on the material. I have mostly been using the type with the "grip strip", and I really like how fast my hourly guys can lay it down...

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    I have it in most of my rentals that didn't have original hardwood flooring, and it has held up spectacularly well - much better than regular laminate held up. I have used the solid core vinyl "click" together type and if you need to you can replace a plank right in the middle of the floor - you just cut the tongue off with a utility knife (by cutting straight through along the edge) and drop a bead of glue on the new piece going in. But so far, even with houses with kids and pets, we haven't had any of it damaged at all. The lighter the color you use, the harder it will be to see any scratches - same thing with having a pattern versus a completely solid color. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    7y

    We got the cork backed fancy NuCore with 6-mil top layer (waterproof and lifetime warranty for residential and 15 year for commercial) for $2.89/square ft -- that just needs a moisture underlayment @$.11/ square ft over a concrete subfloor and doesn't need anything over tile or any other kind of subfloor.  I went with a lighter grayish wood pattern. It's been in two units for almost a year with no issues -- I'm planning on replacing crappy laid tile in at least one more unit soon and using it in my next units as well.  

    I have heard nothing but rave reviews even after a decade in some cases, and would love to hear how it's working out for everyone else!

  • Attorney, CPA, Broker & Author · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 532 posts · 488 votes
    7y

    I put the porcelain planks (not vinyl) in my home about a year ago and they're darn near indestructible. Living carpet free is a wonderful thing, especially if you have pets.

    Always make sure you save an extra box of tiles, just in case some get broken.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 49 votes
    7y
    @Dawn P. Agreed! Laminate looks nice for a few months but it wears quickly!
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 49 votes
    7y
    Has anyone used the resilient sheet vinyl? The wood pattern looks so good and the price is cheap!! Wonder how well it holds up? I like the idea of having no seams. Anyone have experience with this?
  • Contractor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adam Shelley:
    Has anyone used the resilient sheet vinyl? The wood pattern looks so good and the price is cheap!! Wonder how well it holds up? I like the idea of having no seams. Anyone have experience with this?

     I’m definitely going to look into it now.

  • Lewisville, TX · Member since 2015 · 343 posts · 264 votes
    7y
    I have used it in Oklahoma on several college town rentals. 10 years later still holding up great! Paid $1 sq ft installed by getting a deal & bundling the install in with other contracting work!
  • Rental Property Investor · Conway, AR · Member since 2017 · 146 posts · 75 votes
    7y
    @James Carollo We've been using it for about 2 years now and its working great. No problems during turnover. When we install the sticky allure traffic master from home depot we have guys that will do it for $.75/foot all the way up to $1.50/foot. Mainly depends on how many square feet you need. 1000 sqft versus 500 square feet... the cost will go down as the square footage goes up for the guys I use
  • Investor · Trafalgar, IN · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 58 votes
    7y
    I use Congoleum Carefree from Menards (very similar to Allure, but I like it better...and despise Home Depot!) and buy it by the skid when it goes on sale. It’s been very durable so far. I install myself, but I’ve done it for other people as well for $2-2.50 per sq ft depending on what is required.
  • Contractor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pfaehler:
    I use Congoleum Carefree from Menards (very similar to Allure, but I like it better...and despise Home Depot!) and buy it by the skid when it goes on sale. It’s been very durable so far. I install myself, but I’ve done it for other people as well for $2-2.50 per sq ft depending on what is required.

     Good to know. Menards has come into KC market in recent years. I’ve seen prices around  $2-$2.50. I’m always looking for ways to get the price down while mainting quality. I definitely have employees that enjoy it and are much quicker than others. Everyone has different strengths. So far my “LEGO-minded” precise 17 year old son blows us all away.

  • Rental Property Investor · Southern NH · Member since 2017 · 87 posts · 100 votes
    7y
    Im a huge fan of replacing everything with these. Our first rental property kicked off 6 years ago with high end laminate planks and they still look new after vacuuming and a wet Swiffer mop. Had a few tenants with dogs as well come through as well and they have had no effect on the finish.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.