Are you prepared to do what it take SURVIVE this business?

Are you prepared to do what it take SURVIVE this business?

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes

Are you prepared to do what it takes to SURVIVE this business?

  • Are you REALLY prepared to make those tough calls?
  • Can you push emotion to the side for the betterment of your business?
  • Are you willing to do EVERYTHING in your power to succeed as a Real Estate Investor?

This is what my team did in Cleveland today. Are you willing to do everything above EVEN if it's on Christmas?

I am sure it'll be a mixed bag of opinions on this topic. Drop your comments below. I would love to get  the perspective of Investors on both sides of the isle on this one. 

13Reply
166 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

I would post that notice on Christmas Eve or Day. I would post that notice while they were at the hospital for the birth of a child. I would post that notice on the day I knew a child services social worker was going to visit. I would post that notice if the tenant and all their children were lined up next to that door, begging and pleading for just one more day of leniency. To do otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of eviction.

By the time I get to eviction the tenant's self-destructive behavior has put her or him well past the value of any help I could offer. That notice means I've made a judgment that the tenant needs to hit rock bottom to get better. A judgment that I am prepared to be condemned to hell for if I am wrong.

Standing between someone and the rock bottom they need to hit is not an act of charity or mercy. I learned that the hard way many years ago.

So I agree with you, Jim, but I should add that I do not believe I have ever posted an eviction notice as an act of pushing aside my emotions, or for the betterment of my business, or in order to succeed as a real estate investor.

See this reply in the discussion

234 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    You know me by now Jim  resounding NO.. I would have left a gift basket and a Christmas card..  And told them catch up when you can

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I got out of the D class rentals after I had to explain to a kid that I now owned their house and he was translating it to his mom... so no, I don't have what it takes

  • Real Estate Agent · Keller, TX · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    I don't have the stomach for C/D tenants, but you have to look past your emotions. Good Luck!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    I would post that notice on Christmas Eve or Day. I would post that notice while they were at the hospital for the birth of a child. I would post that notice on the day I knew a child services social worker was going to visit. I would post that notice if the tenant and all their children were lined up next to that door, begging and pleading for just one more day of leniency. To do otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of eviction.

    By the time I get to eviction the tenant's self-destructive behavior has put her or him well past the value of any help I could offer. That notice means I've made a judgment that the tenant needs to hit rock bottom to get better. A judgment that I am prepared to be condemned to hell for if I am wrong.

    Standing between someone and the rock bottom they need to hit is not an act of charity or mercy. I learned that the hard way many years ago.

    So I agree with you, Jim, but I should add that I do not believe I have ever posted an eviction notice as an act of pushing aside my emotions, or for the betterment of my business, or in order to succeed as a real estate investor.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    "Easy choices, hard life. Hard choices, easy life."

    -Jerzey Gregorek

    This applies to both residents and owners.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    "Easy choices, hard life. Hard choices, easy life."

    -Jerzey Gregorek

    This applies to both residents and owners.

     EF Hutton has spoken   :)  happy holidays Mike !! 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Jay, there are only a handful of us on the site old enough to not have to ask Alexa who that is.

  • Flipper · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 98 votes
    7y

    absolutely.  I have what it takes.   Slide your emotion aside.   Treat it like a business.  At least I am trying after learning hard way 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    I got out of the D class rentals after I had to explain to a kid that I now owned their house and he was translating it to his mom... so no, I don't have what it takes

     That's great to hear. You gave something a go & realized early on that it wasn't a fit for you & (I assume) you moved on to something that better fits your psyche. Well done. 

    It's those that stay in a job or business that isn't the right fit for them that we need to worry about.

    What'd you move into?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Phil Dodd:

    I don't have the stomach for C/D tenants, but you have to look past your emotions. Good Luck!

     Did you come to that conclusion after being in the space or did you know right from the jump that it wasn't the business for you?

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

     Commercial development!!! Triple net tenants and I've never been happier! LOL

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I would have superimposed it over the present Santa is holding. Perfect size.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

     Commercial development!!! Triple net tenants and I've never been happier! LOL

     Lol. Yup, two aspects of the rental business that couldn't be further apart from one another.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Patrick M.:

    I would have superimposed it over the present Santa is holding. Perfect size.

     đź¤Ł Now that'd just be cruel.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    Jay, there are only a handful of us on the site old enough to not have to ask Alexa who that is.

     OK that cracked me up..  I was thinking also Joe Friday just the facts !!

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @James Wise

    By the time I file for eviction...i can't wait to get the tenant out... That tenant has been completely unwilling to be reasonable usually over a period of weeks or months. So if it the baliff is scheduled the week before Christmas so be it. I would know that the tenant ignored many opportunities to work with me before it came to a red tag and they chose not to. If some random person on the internet or street who knows nothing about the situation thinks I'm a meanie, too bad.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Where in heaven did the idea come from that to suceed in business you need to have no emotions?   I have never heard that til this board. 

    I think people peddle this idea as it allows them to feel better about whatever actions they are taking.  

    As for evicting on christmas - well i suppose it depends.   I am the type of business person that likes to cut my losses quickly and move on. However, i would not evict a dying tenant.  I also would not evict a tenant in a newly purchased bldg before xmas. 

    I also dont own own C-/D properties.  I could not even read the book “Evicted”  (which folks who own lower end properties should read) i dont have the stomach for it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Btw @James Wise did you put that up, or did someone else? 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 315 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    Jay, there are only a handful of us on the site old enough to not have to ask Alexa who that is.

     OK that cracked me up..  I was thinking also Joe Friday just the facts !!

     they gonna have to ask siri who "Joe Friday" is now

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    All the bleeding hearts out there need to realize this is not a charity it’s a business and you can be sure The bank would tape up that notice on your door for a sheriffs sale if you didn’t pay your mortgage for that rental house !
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Mary M. If you haven't read "Evicted" it really is worth the read. I operate "affordable housing" (not subsidized) based on the median income in my area. 

    For a number of my apartments, a full time minimum wage job would provide sufficient income to qualify.

    But the tenants described in the book, Evicted, were not tenants that would qualify for my apartments based on either income or eviction history.  

    For some of the tenants described, that were able hold a job, a helping hand with initial deposits, a couple of months rent, and child care MIGHT have been enough to get them back on their feet. BUT

    I get calls from churches and halfway houses all the time trying to place tenants on disability with very, very low incomes and I tell them 'no' because I want tenants that can be successful. For the people getting what my tenants call a "crazy" check (from SSDI), they probably are going to have a difficult time as a tenant.

    Because of their disorders, they can't hold a job, they often can't get along with their neighbors or roommates , they don't have enough money to manage on their own,  and they are lucky if their payee isn't stealing from them. If they have anti-social disorder, especially if they have committed sex-offences no one wants them, and they might have other felonies as well.

    The non-crazy SSDI recipients fare better; they can get along with a room-mate and since they are more sympathetic, they'll probably have better luck finding subsidized housing. 

    We, as a society need to look at how we treat people that cannot provide for themselves, especially the unsympathic cases-- or  we'll all have to deal with the fall out. I don't know the answer (but they probably don't qualify to rent from me).

    . 

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    7y
    One year ago today, I had to do the same thing. IDGAF. Tenant paid up in full with all late fees, and vacated with property in turnkey shape after her lease was done. Property is continued to be managed by a PM team.
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Yep we foreclosed on a woman after 7 years of paying on time but then she fell on hard times & then she became nasty. (She had married a felon she met on-line while he was incarcerated & that didn't work).

    We gained possession right before Xmas. We tried to negotiate through attorney's a cash for keys but she had liens/judgments to the moon so foreclosure was the only way out. She did leave the place spotless plus a new HW tank still in its box in the garage. We did meet the local district attorney the day of possession as they were looking for her & her felonious ex-husband. 

    I sold it for double the amount she originally paid, but her attitude left me cold & with absolutely no empathy for her.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:

    Btw @James Wise did you put that up, or did someone else? 

     We put that & many others up yesterday just as we do every month without fail or exception.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:
    All the bleeding hearts out there need to realize this is not a charity it’s a business and you can be sure The bank would tape up that notice on your door for a sheriffs sale if you didn’t pay your mortgage for that rental house !

     Well said. Thing about the bleeding hearts is they cry foul right up until it's their money on the line.

    I posted this photo on Facebook & have some kid going nuts so I said hey man you can pay the rent of any tenant you like & we won't evict them. Ain't gonna see a dime from him. Lol.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.