Is this a scam or just weird?

Is this a scam or just weird?

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 443 posts · 174 votes

So I have a bedroom I am trying to rent out and I have been getting emails from a woman that claims to be in a remote fishing village in Alaska right now and is moving to Austin. She says they don't have phone service so she cant call me and she wont be able to sign a lease until she arrives in town. In all honesty I didn't really take it seriously because it sounded like a Nigerian prince scam. Usually I want to meet the tenant and explain them the lease before they sign. Make sure they are a real human and feel them out.

So she mentions she is going to mail a check for first months rent and deposit to secure the room. I forget all about it because it doesn't sound real. Well I get my mail today and find a check for $5600 from her which is deposit and 6 months rent. I was sort of floored because I've never had a tenant pay ahead like that but it also set off my spidey senses as well.

My question is would you accept a tenant that is renting a room sight unseen that you have never met before? Does this sound sketchy at all or just weird?

12Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

@Joseph Weisenbloom. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, this a SCAM. One giant SCAM.

The way it works is that check is fake. You’ll deposit it, it’ll take the bank a few days or weeks to figure out it’s fake, then the “tenant” (scammer) will tell you they need some of that money back, then if you send them any, they get your real money and eventually the bank pulls the money from that check since it’s fake.

Again, one giant SCAM.

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2015 · 382 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    @Scott Lewis

    Agree. I would do the same thing . Tell em the check is deposited and then the scam follows except you really have the uncashed check available to send right back to the scammers if they are willing to provide a real address

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Under federal law, banks have to make the funds you deposit available quickly–usually within one to five days, depending on the type of check. But just because you can withdraw the money doesn’t mean the check is good, even if it’s a cashier’s check. She can ask you for the money back in the interim. It can take weeks for the forgery to be discovered and the check to bounce. When a check bounces, the bank deducts the amount that was originally credited to your account. If there isn’t enough to cover it, the bank may be able to take money from other accounts you have at that institution, or sue you to recover the funds. In some cases, law enforcement authorities could bring charges against the victims because it may look like they were involved in the scam and knew the check was counterfeit.

    So short answer is NO. Don't cash that check

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom scam. I’ve gotten similar emails

    Scam scam scam

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom

    the tenant does not dictate how you rent. did you run background check etc? hopefully you have a process for renting . have her follow the process. if she passes rent to her.

  • Rental Property Investor · CA (orange county) · Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Saw that before, check was fake.

  • Investor · California, CA · Member since 2016 · 367 posts · 375 votes
    7y

    When I hear about these things, I always wonder, who would fall for this, it's so clearly a scam?  Now I know. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom

    I work in the middle of the Sahara desert in a compound guarded by the Algerian army (not joking). We have cell phone service even there...

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom I wouldn't waste my time on this.  How can you properly screen without identifying the person who will be renting from you?

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Man, some folks here have way too much time on their hands. My advertising process goes as follows:

    1. List on multiple sites. First line of the description, in capital letters, "TEXT ONLY TO [PhoneNumber] FOR INQUIRIES". 

    2. Setup an open house date and notify those interested.

    3. They can submit a paper app at that point, and if they follow the instructions to text us their email address they will receive a link to the bg/credit check.

    No long discussions of extenuating circumstances, explanations, investigations, etc. Why entertain nonsense like this? Why did she have your address?

  • Rental Property Investor · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom absolutely a scam! Don’t deposit the check, or even attempt to! The bank will come back and charge you a fee, and some banks will close your account down. On top of that, they will then report the fraudulent check to Early Warning Systems & ChexSystems and put your name on a blacklist so you’re unable to open another checking account for 7 years. Stay away from it!

  • New to Real Estate · Kansas City · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom Just curious how she is able to text you but can’t call to talk. Sounds like a scam to me. Set up an account on cozy or similar and ask her to fill out a rental application online

  • Fairbanks, AK · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom

    Hi Josh,

    Yes, this is a scam.

    Having said that let me tell you a little about Alaska and it's people.

    I'm a life long Alaskan and the people that live in the fishing towns here have great phone, Cell, internet and other tech services. The remote towns do have Satellite internet but likely not a lot of phones that can call long distance. The winters here are long and being shut inside for 9months of the year means lots of cereal netflix binging :D

    However, the folks that live in these remote villages are native Alaskans and thier whole family for generations have been living there and they are likely to never move. If they need to move they will likely move somewhere else in Alaska and move back shortly. The transplants that live in those towns already have contacts they could point you to or would call on their behalf.

    So yeah, scam.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford, CT · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 73 votes
    7y

    I'm interested in knowing about the envelope that the check was in. Where was it stamped from. Most times you can see the post office stamp with the date and location it was mailed from...

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Weisenbloom:

    Alright guys thanks for the insight. Yea it felt like a scam from the beginning which is why I didn't think they would mail anything. I will ignore her.

    Ask for the info you would need to do a normal tenant screening. If no (or bad) response, there's your answer. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale-Miami-Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom Were you able to run a background/credit check on her? Personally, I would always like to meet the potential tenant in-person.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I agree it is probably a scam, especially the 6 months advance rent part. but when I watch the show building cabin in Alaska, it’s possible you are in a area without strong signal. The guy actually have to fly out using the plane to get things done as his phone call kept getting cut off.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    A listing of mine was cloned on Craigslist.  Luckily, a potential victim called me and asked if the offer was legitimate.   Someone once changed the locks on a vacant house of mine, and tried to rent it, assuming they just wanted to get first months rent and security.  Luckily, I caught wind of that before there were any victims.  Fraud is getting more sophisticated.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 292 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    I've occassionally had prospects want to rent a place without seeing it. Sometimes it's legit. They really are out of town and can't meet me until they get to town. Although my gut instinct is to try to be accommodating, it rarely works out well. As  a result my policy is now to say, "thanks for your interest, but give me a call when you get to town and if it's still available, I'd be happy to meet  you and give you a tour." If that means they miss out on getting a good place, tough.  They are the one trying to do something difficult by trying to rent a place from long distance. Assuming I have enough qualified prospects locally, it just make more work for myself to consider and out of towner.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 292 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    I've occassionally had prospects want to rent a place without seeing it. Sometimes it's legit. They really are out of town and can't meet me until they get to town. Although my gut instinct is to try to be accommodating, it rarely works out well. As  a result my policy is now to say, "thanks for your interest, but give me a call when you get to town and if it's still available, I'd be happy to meet  you and give you a tour." If that means they miss out on getting a good place, tough.  They are the one trying to do something difficult by trying to rent a place from long distance. Assuming I have enough qualified prospects locally, it just makes more work for myself to consider and out of towner.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom , trust your “spider” senses. Don’t rent and don’t deposit the check. Never trust someone who wants to move in right away and you know nothing about them. Always get info on perspective tea ants and have a background check done. For the few $$ it costs it can save you much more in the long run. Having rented to roommates several times, I have had an issue only one time, and had to ask him to leave. Had much more to do with issues not found on a rental app. There will be other better candidates.

  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom sounds way Too good to be true.

  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom I would also request a background check.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom

    I got the same come-on once myself. It's always a check or a money order, something printed, and you're always supposed to wire the overpay back, and the check/m.o. always bounces and leaves you on the hook.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom

    Dont deposit the check! Its 100% a scam.

  • Real Estate Agent · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 151 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Weisenbloom sure smells fishy to me..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.