Best carpet for a rental property

Best carpet for a rental property

Rental Property Investor · Anchorage AK... Grants Pass OR...... Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 18 votes

Does anyone recommend a good carpet for a rental house that I am renovating? I am doing wood laminate downstairs but I need to carpet upstairs bedrooms.

1Reply
261 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y

@Jennifer Darby I would make every effort to eliminate carpet in a rental house.

See this reply in the discussion

60 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    @Brian Pfaehler, I use black grout and have spare tiles.  It’s not a problem for us

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    7y

    Anybody ever tried stained concrete?  Been thinking about giving it a try.

  • Galva, IL · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 26 votes
    7y
    @Jennifer Darby I’ve got to disagree with everyone although I do love LVT, I’ve got many apartments with a nice multi tone Berber down for well over 15 years And still looks very nice. Was fairly inexpensive And offers some noise control. The jury is still out on a lot of LVT, I’ve installed some in kitchens and bathrooms and a year or two later the product shrank a good 1/16-1/8” on all butt joints. Just my two cents
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 325 posts · 253 votes
    7y

    @Jennifer Darby I’m contemplating the idea of LVP for my rentals at turnover but for last several years I have used apartment’s grade carpet in beige color, it is stain proof and my cost with install including removal of old one come at about $9.99 to $11 per yard, and this also includes carpet pads. I have been using this installer for now over five years. He buys partial rolls (end of run) from Shaw carpet mills here in Dalton, GA and I get the deal, I do t care about the colors as long as it’s same throughout the house and it’s not too light or loud. On average, these carpets last me for about 7 years. For an average house my bill comes between $1300 to $1600, my installer throws in free vinyl laminate for bathrooms if needed as long as I’m not picky about the patterns. This has worked out great for me.

  • Specialist · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Quality isn't as important, as long as it matches the drapes! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Liberty Lake, WA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    @Jennifer Darby if going with carpet get the cheapest that feels nice and has a good pattern for hiding stains. As most have said LVP is the way to go. A brand that I really like is Rhino brand. Our local flooring store has it and it is so durable and looks so amazing that we even put it in our own home and we have dogs and kids putting it to the test and no scratches.

  • Brian MitchellPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Brunswick, ME · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    Great question!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    Hi all: hoping to revive this post again. I am redoing my condo floors but the HOA does not allow for hardwood in the bedrooms. ( I'm already doing laminate for the living room and kitchen)

    What is a good carpet material to use in rentals? I don’t care too much about the “comfortable” feeling. It seems commercial carpet is the way to go? Is there a certain material I should look for?

    Thanks in advance!  

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 119 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    I wouldn't really recommend carpets since it will give you a headache in the future. Try to go with with Laminate, It comes in a wide array of colours and widths and is fast and easy to install.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I will say LVP is great for common areas but I do like carpet for bedrooms.  In rentals you need a "guy" for everything and a flooring guy is a must.  I have a guy who gets me carpet remnants or discontinued and they are cheap, I just did a 18*11 bedroom for 600 padding included.  This carpet was close enough to the hall and other bedrooms but far closer than the blue it was when I bought it.  I like to step down on a soft floor when I get out of bed and feel a lot of renters will as well.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.