Best carpet for a rental property

60 Replies

Does anyone recommend a good carpet for a rental house that I am renovating? I am doing wood laminate downstairs but I need to carpet upstairs bedrooms.

@Jennifer Darby - I've found that the best carpet for a rental is luxury vinyl plank flooring.  :)  It costs 2X to 3X more, but could last 5X to 10X longer.  

Our rentals are in a similarly cold climate in Maine, and our residents don't mind that bedrooms are not carpeted.  There is LVP on the market with an insulated backer that keeps the floor warm and provides a little cushion to the step.  

If you do go with carpet, I would just try to find something cheap that looks good and that either you can install yourself or you can have installed very cheaply.  Expensive carpet would not be a good buy. 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

@Jennifer Darby I agree with @Mike Roy and @John Underwood and @Alex S. on this. We have built 500 apartments around Portland, ME and we did a waterproof, rugged laminate flooring in all rooms except the bedrooms where we put carpet (thinking residents would like this). This has proven problematic as we are replacing or patching carpet more often than we expected and the color and style keeps getting harder to find. We are about to have to start recarpeting if there are any issues since we are on the verge of exhausting the carpet we kept in reserve. The carpet is nice for sound dampening, but we are finding it does not hold up as well as expected. In the future, we will try to avoid carpet. 

I have read up on LVP such as Lifeproof and seems to me that it scratches very easily??? Any input on that?  I would like to do all laminate but the house I’m redoing was built in 1920 and floors aren’t super even. 😬

Just like everyone else says.  Avoid carpet flooring if possible.  Another idea you can do and it is popular for large apartment communities do in Florida.  If the carpet is stained when a resident moves out.  They bill the past resident for carpet replacement and if they do not pay.  They sell the bill to a collection agent.  They do not go to court to get a ruling, they just send them to collections.  I am sure they only get half the amount they claim but they do get some back. ( Which me coming from Kentucky I found very odd that they can send someone to collections without a ruling in court). 

Did I get off the subject a little?

I get the 2nd cheapest carpet available. Not the cheapest commercial one, but something that at least looks and feels nice. I also try to get one with a pattern to lessen the visibility of stains.

That said, LVP is the way to go!

LVP is said to scratch easily I’ve been told?  With the size of this house i don’t want to invest in something and then have it look scratched and worn within a short period of time.  

Originally posted by @Jennifer Darby :

LVP is said to scratch easily I’ve been told?  With the size of this house i don’t want to invest in something and then have it look scratched and worn within a short period of time.  

@jennifer Darby - Go with at least a 20 mil wear layer, something with at least a 10 year commercial warranty.  This product is intended for high traffic retail, doctors offices, etc.  About $3-$4/sq. ft. for material. I believe the big boxes will install at $2/sq.ft. or so on labor.  

@Jennifer Darby I give new tenants adhesive felt pads for furniture legs...home depot or dollar tree. Get a distressed multitoned wood to disguise scratches. People and pets dont scratch or at least scratches are imperceptible, dragging heavy furniture with a brad or a piece of gravel under one foot scratches.
Promotion
Jamestown Invest
Build a well-balanced portfolio with CRE
Considering CRE Investing?
Download this whitepaper and learn about CRE investing from a manager with a 38 year track record
Learn More

The best carpet for any rental is laminate flooring.  I've pulled the carpet out of all my rentals and laid laminate.  Looks great and I was able to raise the rent.  

@Jennifer Darby I would not use Lifeproof.  Put that in my last house and it was awful with scratches.  That being said there is a lot of vinyl plank that I have used and really like.  I like the kinds that are a little more flexible/bendable.  They are super easy to put in (when you need to make a cut you just use a utility knife), look great, and are very, very durable.  

If you did go with carpet I know people who are big fans of carpet tile.  There are kinds that don't look like corporate office carpet and then when a patch gets stained you just pull it up and replace just that patch.  

Good luck!

I use a lot of vinyl plank in my building. I find that the scratches cover nicely with a marker. Avoid Berber carpet if you allow pets. One snag and they can take out an entire room. Amazing how many people think it's cute that their cat is playing with that piece of carpet string!

carpet is no good.  I tried it at first but it would have to be replaced after 1 tenant turnover....I then went with tile and laminate...laminate is better than carpet but it still can soak up spills and expand on you...like others said LVP or tile I think is the way to go...it's a bit more investment up front but well worth it in the long run.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Jennifer Darby I would not use Lifeproof.  Put that in my last house and it was awful with scratches.  That being said there is a lot of vinyl plank that I have used and really like.  I like the kinds that are a little more flexible/bendable.  They are super easy to put in (when you need to make a cut you just use a utility knife), look great, and are very, very durable.  

If you did go with carpet I know people who are big fans of carpet tile.  There are kinds that don't look like corporate office carpet and then when a patch gets stained you just pull it up and replace just that patch.  

Good luck!

Darn, I just put in Lifeproof and was hoping it was going to hold up to scratching. We shall see. The good news is it aint carpet. And it floats. I absolutely love it, so far that is.