Any property management software for tenant background check

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
7y

good and free rarely go together well. Landlords can and should charge to prospective tenant( I do) for credit check and background check and part of the application process for anyone over 18

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    good and free rarely go together well. Landlords can and should charge to prospective tenant( I do) for credit check and background check and part of the application process for anyone over 18

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez all of my background checks are free through Cozy. The tenant pays for them

  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Do you credit back the application fee to tenant applicant if you dont choose them or no refund back?

  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    No, They pay as part of the application process. Make sure you review their paper application before run the checks. it will give you a chance to decide to go forward with the checks.

  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Do you credit back the application fee back to the tenant you choose?

  • Member since 2018 · 259 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    no

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez nope. No credits to anyone. It eliminates "tire kickers" and most people expect some sort of application fee

  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Do you run background check on only the one applicatant you will most likely get as tenant or how many applicants do you run background check at the same time?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez the credit and background are part of the application. I don't accept applications unless these are attached.

    I don't want to sift 100 applications for a property, so I require these checks and end up with 5 - 10 applicants to choose from.

  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    So running the application fee you dont guarantee anyone by doing that they will be your tenant and will not get the application fee back if not choosen?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez correct!

  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Thanks

  • Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez I use Zillow rental manager as it does the application Atkin and background check all in one. I think it’s a $30 fee and I return that fee to the tenant that is accepted.

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 239 posts · 149 votes
    7y
    @Horacio Gutierrez There is actually an app/ service called Tellus that provides background checks free of charge to both the landlord and the tenant. I like that it does not cost the tenant anything because this way you get more applicants so you have the widest selection possible. I believe they partner with another company for them, the reports are comprehensive and there’s no maximum number of reports. Tellusapp.com
  • Rental Property Investor · Albany, NY · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Connie Chan I use Tellus too and love it

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I just used Zillow’s background check for my two tenants last week and it worked like a champ. They charge $29 and it was easy and quick. I didn’t credit them their $ back. Not sure if most do that or not. Maybe I should?

    I use Zillow to list my rentals online for free. You can put in 10 pictures. And they send out this same free listing to Trulia and Hot Pads. I always get a tremendous response from them and find good tenants within a couple days.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mingo Junction, OH · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Jason D.

    I looked at the process through Cozy. I currently use it to collect rent so I'm familiar with the software. My only problem with Cozy's background/credit check is that the advertise to the tenant "never give your landlord your social security # again".

    Wouldn't you need their social if you had to evict and file a judgement against them?

  • Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez

    Another vote for Zillow. Also look into using Transunion. Charging a fee is normal and most prospects expect it.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Corey Vadasz you don't need an SSN to evict or file a claim in small claims court.

    If you decide to hire a collections agent then you would probably need it.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    For those that use USAA, they have a partnership with SmartMove. SmartMove sends the prospect an email and the prospect logs in and completes the application. I receive a notice when the application is complete and can see history of credit, employment, legal, etc. They also provide a recommendation whether the candidate is qualified. Usually the turn-around is within a day or two. Has worked great for us.

    Peter

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez no, it’s not free.

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 239 posts · 149 votes
    7y
    @Jordan Moorhead exactly. That’s why I like the Tellus applicant screening feature. Comprehensive and free. Remember, credit check is just one part of what you want, you also want criminal records, eviction history, etc.
  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez i use mysmartmove.com and tenants pay $40 and will include credit, criminal and evictions. Seems like a good site and I can drop down menus for each of my properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Horacio Gutierrez forgot to add, this is free to me as I can click a button that landlord pays or tenant pays. I never pay. And you need email for each applicant and tenants gladly pay as $40 is less than all other landlords in my area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kelly DeWinter check out mysmartmove.com. It is free to me as the tenant pays the $40

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.